Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: How should I tint my windshield?
35% to 50%
63.33%
5% Top and Bottom Strips
4.44%
Neither
32.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

For my windshield tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007 | 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still appreciate everyone's input! I think I'm decided 50% whole windshield tint with a 10% strip at the top. all other windows 10%.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:26 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I had my GTO tinted with 20% 3M all around (more like 16% actually) and my entire front windshield done in a metallic based 45% tint. At certain angles it looks like there is an ever so slight glare all across the windshield from the outside but it mainly doesn't really appear tinted unless you know. From a distance you cant see in the car at all but when you're close to the car you can see the steering wheel and if light it on it you can see the GTO embroidered on the seats. Its faint enough that I can see perfectly fine at night, I know it'll help to keep heat out and protect my interior over the years, but not dark enough to draw too much attention. And my GTO has a strip that fades at the top from the factory anyway and the tint made this strip darker and it stands out against the 45% so thats another plus on not having cops give you too much attention because of it.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/644178-my-50-tinted-windshield-pics.html
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:42 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

i had 35% on my windshield in my 00 silverado it looked great. i didnt have any issues with the cops cause they didnt even notice that it was tinted its pretty hard to tell unless you really look close. whats nice about having the windshiled tinted is no one can see in and its alot easier if you are driving into the sun. the only draw back that i can tell you about having the windshield tinted is if you get into an accident the insurance might not want to cover it cause your windshield was tinted and not to mention illegal. but im going to still vote 35%-50% you cant beat the looks of a tinted windshield.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a pratical question for those who have the front widow tinted. How do you deal with the various stickers when they need replacing?

Normally you would scrape them off with a razor, but that takes the tint with it so you have a rectangle of no tint. Do you just cut a new ractangle and fit it back in or what? If not done right it is very apparent to anyone looking at it and would catch the eye of a cop.
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:40 PM
On The Tree

I just dont understand why people would tint front glass, it seems so silly when you actually NEED to see what's infront of you!
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by j3ff
I just dont understand why people would tint front glass, it seems so silly when you actually NEED to see what's infront of you!
I've thought about tinting the windshield to knock down the head light glare from oncoming vehicles.
I love the guys in trucks that don't dim their head lights, makes me want to have the baseball bat fairy pay them a visit..
Old 01-27-2007 | 04:02 PM
On The Tree

yeah I sort of can understand that, but....it's still gotta be a huge saftey hazard...I just installed piaa 1100x driving lights and that takes care of the trucks
Old 01-27-2007 | 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Here's a pratical question for those who have the front widow tinted. How do you deal with the various stickers when they need replacing?

Normally you would scrape them off with a razor, but that takes the tint with it so you have a rectangle of no tint. Do you just cut a new ractangle and fit it back in or what? If not done right it is very apparent to anyone looking at it and would catch the eye of a cop.
Same here. How do you go about Inspection/Registration stickers?
Old 01-27-2007 | 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

5% is WAY too dark man
Old 04-12-2007 | 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5550racing
The answer to that question is pretty simple. While the tint is being cut, the person cutting (if they're good) could cut a very close line around where the stickers go. Therefore when the tint goes on, it is already cut around where the stickers need to go. When the stickers are being removed off the windshield, the person putting the new ones on just has to be a little more careful. I'll bring this picture back to give you an idea of how this can be done. This is a 20% windshield.

Old 04-12-2007 | 08:26 PM
Launching!

I went with the strip. Teh whole tinting the windshield is asking police to pull you over in my area.
Old 04-12-2007 | 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would tinting the whole windshield in 50% and then put a 20% or 35% strip at the top of the windshield look like?
Old 04-12-2007 | 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

who the hell has to put those gay *** stickers on thier windshields?
Old 04-13-2007 | 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
I work at a shop and tint it lol....but we will tint anyones windshield at my work....and i know of a lot of shops in my area that'll do it. it's illegal to have your side windows tinted here in Michigan, so what's the difference in having a windshield tinted ya know?....

i don't know why some shops won't do it...customers are well aware of tint laws when they get their cars done at my work....it's not my problem if they get popped for it.
Since when were the side windows illegal?
Old 04-13-2007 | 12:29 AM
Launching!

35% on the whole shield. I got mine done a week ago, and it's perfect. Limo in the rear, 15% on the sides and 35% on the shield.

The brake tag/inspection sticker is inbetween the tint and glass. When it needs to be replaced I can just cut around it.
Old 04-13-2007 | 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Do a 5% 6inch banner on the top, and the bottom if you want. I don't know how concerned you are about the polize but I think your pushing your luck with the 5% side windows. The tinted windshield will definately scream "Pull me the **** over!"
Old 04-13-2007 | 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5550racing
Some states don't have inspection/registration stickers. We don't have inspections in OK anymore

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
5% is WAY too dark man
I love my 5%. I have it all the way around except for my windshield. I haven't tinted the windshield yet, but I want to do 35-50% on it.

Originally Posted by shiv15
Since when were the side windows illegal?
Again, different laws for diff states. OK doesn't have tint laws anymore, but some states say you can't change any of the tint.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

No offense....actually, I don't really care if you take offense or not (haha). You're a DUMB *** if you tint your whole front windshield. There is a damn good reason why the law states that you can't have any tint below the AS-1 line. If you can't figure it out, I'm sorry that your parents couldn't manage to give you any good genes.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
I work at a shop and tint it lol....but we will tint anyones windshield at my work....and i know of a lot of shops in my area that'll do it. it's illegal to have your side windows tinted here in Michigan, so what's the difference in having a windshield tinted ya know?....

i don't know why some shops won't do it...customers are well aware of tint laws when they get their cars done at my work....it's not my problem if they get popped for it.
The reason other shops don't do it is one of two things: 1) It's illegal, or 2) They have morals.

Quick Reply: For my windshield tint