Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-13-2016, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Washing your car

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
I use a microfiber wash mitt that looks like it has neon green dreadlocks and I only use it to wash the car. It gets washed out after every use.

Apartment living sucks when you're trying to take care of a car.
So does college living =(
Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

I wash my car with S.O.S pads. Instead of using water I use sand and gravel. Works really well at getting brid droppings and paint off.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I use a two bucket system combined with the Mr. Clean Auto Wash. I rinse off a section, spray the mr clean soap on the section. Then I take my wool mitt from the soapy water bucket and wipe the section using paralled motion, not swirling action. I put the mitt in the clean water bucket and rub the dirt out of it briefly. I'll spray the section with Mr. Clean soap again and then use the purified water rinse from the Mr. Clean AutoDry. It's a lengthy process, but I don't get water spots and rarely have enough scratches where I have to bust out the Porter Cable. My car's black so it's special needs.

The Mr. Clean AutoDry is the way to go with a dark colored car. The less you have to touch it, the less chance you take to get scrathes and swirls. With the AutoDry, I don't have to touch the car to dry it, so I'm not taking the chance that I pick up a dirt spot that I missed washing and rubbing it into the paint and scratching it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DUSTYWS6
I use a two bucket system combined with the Mr. Clean Auto Wash. I rinse off a section, spray the mr clean soap on the section. Then I take my wool mitt from the soapy water bucket and wipe the section using paralled motion, not swirling action. I put the mitt in the clean water bucket and rub the dirt out of it briefly. I'll spray the section with Mr. Clean soap again and then use the purified water rinse from the Mr. Clean AutoDry. It's a lengthy process, but I don't get water spots and rarely have enough scratches where I have to bust out the Porter Cable. My car's black so it's special needs.

The Mr. Clean AutoDry is the way to go with a dark colored car. The less you have to touch it, the less chance you take to get scrathes and swirls. With the AutoDry, I don't have to touch the car to dry it, so I'm not taking the chance that I pick up a dirt spot that I missed washing and rubbing it into the paint and scratching it.
How do you like the soap you use witht the AutoDry? I didn't care too much for it. It always left a wierd film on the windows and I had to clean them afterwards with a window cleaner anyway. I also didn't like the soap sprayer thing, I felt it didn't spray enough soap and a lot of it just slid right of the car. I then stopped using the sprayer and poured the soap in a bucket of water, and washed the car in the more conventional method and rinsed it off with the filtered water. I've also read that the soap strips the wax off the car. I can't vouch for this since the car hadn't been waxed in a while. I now use a different soap all together but still use the water filter.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All my rags have different uses and I make sure not too cross the jobs.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The most important thing when I was looking for an apartment was a car wash area with a hose to hand wash my truck. I didn't really care about anything else, LOL. I am the ONLY person who washes my truck. Automated car washes (scratch-o-matics) are banned from my truck. I use 2 buckets to wash. One is used for the tires/wheels, wheel wells, and the engine compartment. The other bucket is used for the body. I use a wool mitt on the body and an older, retired mitt for the tires/wheels, etc with Turtle Wax Zip Wax car soap. Rinse from top to bottom and wash 1 area at a time and rinse in between areas. I go in this order: roof (rinse), hood (rinse), doors and windows (rinse), windshield and back window (rinse), entire driver's side (rinse), entire passenger side (rinse), tailgate (rinse), grille (rinse). Rinse everything and dry with the Absorber. Every 3 months I give my truck a good coat of Meguiars Gold Class.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are using Meg's gold class .. I would recommend more than once every three months.. Gold class has an awesome looking finish, but is way down the list of carnubas when talking about durability .. imo ..
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Whats the point of this thread she said she doesn't even wash her car
Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
How do you like the soap you use witht the AutoDry? I didn't care too much for it. It always left a wierd film on the windows and I had to clean them afterwards with a window cleaner anyway.
The soap is a little on the weak side, that's the main reason I also use a bucket of soapy water to wipe down the car. I'm not convinced that the AutoDry soap has enough suds to lubricate the surface enough to prevent scratches. Fortunately it's never left any film on the car, maybe that's an issue that depends on the hardness of your water. I primarily use the AutoDry for the filtered water to avoid water spots. Maybe one of these days I'll just buy a few gallons of distilled water and see if I can use them to rinse the car. Between the cost of the AutoDry Soap and Filters, it may be cheaper to buy two or three gallons of distilled water.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DUSTYWS6
The soap is a little on the weak side, that's the main reason I also use a bucket of soapy water to wipe down the car. I'm not convinced that the AutoDry soap has enough suds to lubricate the surface enough to prevent scratches. Fortunately it's never left any film on the car, maybe that's an issue that depends on the hardness of your water. I primarily use the AutoDry for the filtered water to avoid water spots. Maybe one of these days I'll just buy a few gallons of distilled water and see if I can use them to rinse the car. Between the cost of the AutoDry Soap and Filters, it may be cheaper to buy two or three gallons of distilled water.
Yeah I've been thinking of buying DI water as well, the filters can get a little pricey. They don't last all that long, sometimes you get one that doesn't work that well, and if you use a different soap the car won't dry completely spot free.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thecarolinakid~98ss
Whats the point of this thread she said she doesn't even wash her car
I wash my car. Right now I use the car wash cause I live in an apartment. When I had a house I would use a hose with a bucket and a sponge. (new one every time) If your not going to post how you wash your car then don't bother posting at all. I don't want any wasted space on my thread.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Trust
People are going to hate me for this, but I use a pressure washer. Pre-soak, soap, rinse, spot free rinse. Dry it off there with an Absorber synthetic chamois, drive home, polish the wheels, dry anywhere that has dripped, take a blower to my tail lights to stop them from draining on my bumper, polish the tips, dry the door sills, inside windows etc. And thats my normal washing procedure, I'll wax once a month and get the car buffed and Zaino'd every 6 months. It looks really good to me.
I do almost the same thing. I have well-water at home that STINKS on the outside house, but is filtered twice inside.

I take it to the drive-in bay wash. It's almost touchless. I use the brush stage and that's all that hits the car other than water/detergents.

The triple-poly shine and wax is pretty amazing. For the longest time I used to skimp and race the timer and only wash. I'd then wax by hand.

Now I use the 3x poly and wax and by the time I hit the spot free rinse stage, it's beading off nicely. I take the long way home and let it air dry. When I get home I use a microfiber to get the remaining drops off, polish my rims and use tire shine. If the windows need it, I'll get them.

Last stage is interior detailing and vacuuming.

Total cost - 5-6$. I'm getting good at it and each time I do it, it takes me less time

On an a-side, I found a neat product at Autozone by Black Magic, that has a gel and sponge to do the tires. No more slop all over my rims and panels. It works quite well. They had 3 left and were clearance for some reason at $1.98 a piece. I bought all three. I have yet to see if it stains my tires brown like the non-satin foams I was using a while back.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also use the 2 bucket method with lambswool mit.

Am I the only one who uses a leaf blower to dry the car? It works awesome, just use a microfiber waffle weave towel to get the little drops once you are done with the blower.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

its funny to see useless threads that really shouldnt warrent much of a response get huge responses from everyone because a girl posted it

try using newspaper on windows it works the best for some reason
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I groom dogs and my old boss would use the High Velocity dryer to dry her car off... LOL. She'd also use it to blow the snow off her car too. It took care of the snow and the ice on the windows. It works great.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

its always good idea to use two buckets one for washing one for rinsing. i to use the lambs wool mit. if your going to use towels or rags make sure they are lint free so you wont have little pieces of lint all over your freshly washed car