Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hood pins, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood pins, what are my options?

What is everyone using for hood pins on fiberglass lift-off hoods?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me jump in here with some USEFUL information before the flames start...

First of all, is it a completely lift off hood? If so most people use "dzus fastners"...these are small screw type pins with plates and you would need to use approx. 10 along the entire parimeter of the hood (taken word for word from a VFN board).

VSGLS1 uses them because his hood is carbonfiber (although it does bolt to the factory hinges and is not a lift off it doesn't latch down and this is the SAFEST and SMOOTHEST way to pin a hood down):

Then there are those who use dzus fasteners along with a traditional "dual front setup" where there are two hood pins used. Like here on Whistler's car:

and here's the more traditional style you see on old muscle cars:

Which I had on my Electron Blue 1994 Z28 (I added the cables to the pins and rubber "washers" under the plates) out of neccessity (the SS hood had been in a wreck, been semi-fixed, flew apart, fixed again and pins were added for safety):

Finally, here's the cheapo pins you can get anywhere, they rust (unless you get higher quality ones than you will find at a local auto parts store) and look like @ss so don't do it. They were used on some old school muscle cars as well but I still think the look retarded:

Hope this helps