Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Just Got My McEwen Silver Gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashish
do you have dark spots with the LED's or does it spread the light pretty well?

no idea. the cluster is still in my kitchen.. waiting for decals for the gauges.. Then i will install
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z95m6
You sure can see that those speedo increments don't line up at all, they're only hitting about half the mark. As far as the overlay not covering all of the stock gauge clusterm i believe the bezel will cover that area. At least i hope the bezel covers it for your sake. I'd never buy MacEwens again and thats just one of the reasons why.

yea the speedo and RPM are not hitting the marks at all. And i dont think that the bezel that up??
Old 01-13-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

back up to the top
Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That sucks, I was going to buy the silver guages and HVAC. Grrr...
Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonas, install the bezel and see if that doesn't hide the speedometer/RPM marks.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

mine lined up really well. i talked to ryan one time and he told me that he can't control the manufacturing tolerances, so they can be off at times. mine line up just fine, and i got the hvac and headlight backings too, and they line up as well.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
mine lined up really well. i talked to ryan one time and he told me that he can't control the manufacturing tolerances, so they can be off at times. mine line up just fine, and i got the hvac and headlight backings too, and they line up as well.
I think i'd trust the OEM tolerances before i would just some guy that can't even ship your order after you place it. It seems to me it would be easier for him to place the blame on that then it would be to admit his product might have issues.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, hes lame at shipping. idk though. from the choices that are out there, i like these the best. just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
Jonas, install the bezel and see if that doesn't hide the speedometer/RPM marks.
I see that you got my PMs lol.. sorry bout that

Yea Chris, i hope that the bezel will hide the marks.. I hope that the light will still be able to shine through...... I will keep you posted
Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I think i'd trust the OEM tolerances before i would just some guy that can't even ship your order after you place it. It seems to me it would be easier for him to place the blame on that then it would be to admit his product might have issues.

Yeah i have to agree there. quality is great.. jsut has that one fault hopefully the bezel will hide it
Old 01-13-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TORCHED that royally sucks ***. Nothing like having your hopes smashed because of bad quality control.

This kind of puts a kink in my plans for silver faced gauges.
Mcewen is out of them for my car, rough guess was they would have them in about 4 months.
where else can you pick up overlays?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Freak-
TORCHED that royally sucks ***. Nothing like having your hopes smashed because of bad quality control.

This kind of puts a kink in my plans for silver faced gauges.
Mcewen is out of them for my car, rough guess was they would have them in about 4 months.
where else can you pick up overlays?

Hey, yea i am not to happy that they do not line up.. I seriosuly doubt that they test the overlays before they put them on the market.

-Freak- i got my gauges from mike at www.ws6store.com he is a great guy. I am going to call him on Monday to get an insight to him and see what he can do about the gauges... So yes WS6store sells the MacEwen gauges..
Old 01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

looks sweet dude. thats gonna look sick installed!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69z-28
looks sweet dude. thats gonna look sick installed!

hahah thanks Matt
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Everything isn't lined up, because it isn't lined up. He is waiting on aftermarket decals.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the new look.

You have a 3 months to decide if you like them.. If not, please return them to me for a full refund.

If you have any issues, give me a jingle 615-557-5015.

If it is not perfect, as it will be when you install the final overlay, give me shout.

There are some who have a need to flame me, obviously unfairly.

-Ryan
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

there you go, from the man himself.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MacEwen
Everything isn't lined up, because it isn't lined up. He is waiting on aftermarket decals.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the new look.

You have a 3 months to decide if you like them.. If not, please return them to me for a full refund.

If you have any issues, give me a jingle 615-557-5015.

If it is not perfect, as it will be when you install the final overlay, give me shout.

There are some who have a need to flame me, obviously unfairly.

-Ryan

I think i may have a problem with the RPM and Speedo overlay. if you look, again they are not pressed down and they are lined PERFECTLY. in the pic, you can see where the gauges fall short of the stock overlay. I have no idea what to do now?? Any ideas? if you adjust either side they both will be off

I spent a solid 20 mins on each overlay (coolant temp/oil pressure and battery/fuel) to make sure that they lined up perfectly before pressing them firmly. Now with the RPM/Speedo i did not peel the adhesive back off yet. i sat with the overlays for another 20 mins moving it ever so slightly every which way possible. I was using a tiny flat head to help guide the overlay along..

So i dont know what to do?????

Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Torched,

I am not seeing where there is a problem. The factory ticks are far longer than they need to be. The bezel covers this.

It looks as though the overlay (tach/speedo) just isn't aligned yet.

Once you peel off the white backing and expose the adhesive. Focus on lining up the 1 on the tach and the 150 on the speedometer. The rest will fall into perfect alignment.

Do not be alarmed if the the marks in the overlay do not fully encompass the white ticks/ major divisions. The overlay matches the array perfectly. The overall shape of the overlay was designed to fall dead center on the width of frame of the black plastic bezel. The bezel coveres the outer edges of our overlays.

So basically, the overlay does not need to be as large as the array of white tick marks, since much of the all ends of tick marks are covered with the firebird bezel/lens.

To answer you earlier questions, there is no seperating the clear from the black plastic on the bezel/lens.

Just let the numbers be your guide, and use any visible extensions of the tickmarks as an added visual aid for lining up the left to right, and vertical. Some outermost edges of the factory white tick marks will remain uncovered by the overlay. This was intentional, as an added alignment guide.

The adhesive on this kits can be repositioned up to 30 times, and still have adequate adhesion and no residue. So if you need to reposition the overlay, do not let adhesion be concern.

The overlay is lexan/polycarbonate, and was designed to flexible yet have a flat memory.

It is easiest to install the overlay with the needles actually hanging down at 6 o'clock.

If you have any questions, please call 615-557-5015

-Ryan
Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

The adhesive on this kits can be repositioned up to 30 times, and still have adequate adhesion and no residue. So if you need to reposition the overlay, do not let adhesion be concern.
Could you please elaborate on how repositioning is done out of curiosity? I would think this would be slightly difficult. how do you go about pulling it up? do you have to re-clean the surface?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MacEwen
Torched,

I am not seeing where there is a problem. The factory ticks are far longer than they need to be. The bezel covers this.

It looks as though the overlay (tach/speedo) just isn't aligned yet.

Once you peel off the white backing and expose the adhesive. Focus on lining up the 1 on the tach and the 150 on the speedometer. The rest will fall into perfect alignment.

Do not be alarmed if the the marks in the overlay do not fully encompass the white ticks/ major divisions. The overlay matches the array perfectly. The overall shape of the overlay was designed to fall dead center on the width of frame of the black plastic bezel.

So basically, the overlay does not need to be as large as the array of white tick marks, since much of the all ends of tick marks are covered with the firebird bezel/lens.

To answer you earlier questions, there is no seperating the clear from the black plastic on the bezel/lens.

Just let the numbers be your guide, and use any visible extensions of the tickmarks as an added visual aid for lining up the left to right, and vertical. Some outermost edges of the factory white tick marks will remain uncovered by the overlay. This was intentional, as an added alignment guide.

The overlay is lexan/polycarbonate, and was designed to flexible yet have a flat memory.

It is easiest to install the overlay with the needles actually hanging down at 6 o'clock.

If you have any questions, please call 615-557-5015

-Ryan
Hi Ryan.. i took the backing off, and put the gauges on. Well it turns out that it lines up a lot better then the pic i posted. Thanks for you concern in this matter. it is a tiny bit off, but not noticable..

Thanks again RYAN

Quick Reply: Just Got My McEwen Silver Gauges!