Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

fiberglass boods and hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass boods and hood pins

Hey guys i am ordering a fiberglass 4inch cowl and was suggested to run hood pins in the front which sounds like a good idea to me however i just wanted to get a idea if you guys are and if you like it, also pictures would be great. Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97lt1z28
Hey guys i am ordering a fiberglass 4inch cowl and was suggested to run hood pins in the front which sounds like a good idea to me however i just wanted to get a idea if you guys are and if you like it, also pictures would be great. Thanks
I don't think hood pins look good on Fbodys.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Teching In

ya they r ugly
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw the "they're ugly" comments... It's a lot uglier when you're hood flys up into your windshield

My LT1 NEEDED them as well, here's a pic:

Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Screw the "they're ugly" comments... It's a lot uglier when you're hood flys up into your windshield

My LT1 NEEDED them as well, here's a pic:

How many people really "need" them?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BeachZ
How many people really "need" them?
Who cares? The person who started this post does... He said, "i am ordering a fiberglass 4inch cowl and was suggested to run hood pins in the front"

If the manufacturer is telling you to put hood pins on you damn well better put hood pins on or order a different hood...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Who cares? The person who started this post does... He said, "i am ordering a fiberglass 4inch cowl and was suggested to run hood pins in the front"

If the manufacturer is telling you to put hood pins on you damn well better put hood pins on or order a different hood...
You're assuming the manufacturer said to use hood pins. I bet not.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Launching!

yeah actually they did, thunder racing said it was "honestly the safe thing to do" demonbird those look nice where did you get thim, where do the "wire" looking things from the pins go?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

i got a oem hood for sale and someone pm'd me about it, said thier fiberglass hood flew up and got smashed... maybe if he had hoodpins.... makes you go hmmmmmm
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

yeah actually they did, thunder racing said it was "honestly the safe thing to do" demonbird those look nice where did you get thim, where do the "wire" looking things from the pins go?
I actually pieced them together to get what I consider to be a "nice" set...

I apologize that I can't remember exactly (that was 5 cars ago) but I know it consisted of the following:

This type of pin:

Which I believe was simply store bought... Then I ordered a set of pins for either a 'Cuda or a Chevelle (sorry, can't remember) BECAUSE they came with the cables that were COATED IN A CLEAR PLASTIC (so they don't scratch the paint) and the pin plates had a rubber grommet under them (not actual pic but for reference):

So, I added the rubber grommet with it's plate (much thicker and better quality) and the cables to the above pins and tossed the cheaper plates and ugly pins

Here, I'll repost another post I made on pins so you'll know your options...

__________________________________________________ _____________

Let me jump in here with some USEFUL information before the flames start...

First of all, is it a completely lift off hood? If so most people use "dzus fastners"...these are small screw type pins with plates and you would need to use approx. 10 along the entire parimeter of the hood (taken word for word from a VFN board).

VSGLS1 uses them because his hood is carbonfiber (although it does bolt to the factory hinges and is not a lift off it doesn't latch down and this is the SAFEST and SMOOTHEST way to pin a hood down):

Then there are those who use dzus fasteners along with a traditional "dual front setup" where there are two hood pins used. Like here on Whistler's car:

and here's the more traditional style you see on old muscle cars:

Which I had on my Electron Blue 1994 Z28 (I added the cables to the pins and rubber "washers" under the plates) out of neccessity (the SS hood had been in a wreck, been semi-fixed, flew apart, fixed again and pins were added for safety):

Finally, here's the cheapo pins you can get anywhere, they rust (unless you get higher quality ones than you will find at a local auto parts store) and look like @ss so don't do it. They were used on some old school muscle cars as well but I still think the look retarded:

__________________________________________________ _____________

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Ok, I stand corrected. What kind of hood is it?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Launching!

wow thanks for the info and pics everyone....It is a glasstek hood from thunder racing-4 inch cowl .............. yeah i am sort of partial to the old school pin look, i have always been one for old muscle cars, espically chevy II's and old Mopar darts. And even though a 4th Gen camaro looks nothing like those i sort of want to build a car that resembles that vintage "bigger is better" big hood, big motor, big tire car. Thanks guys that gives me a good idea what to go for

Quick Reply: fiberglass boods and hood pins