Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How long will my polished aluminum last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How long will my polished aluminum last?

Ok guys, I'm considering polishing my valve covers, throttle body, fuel rails (they can be polished right?) and whatever else I can think up . Question is how long will it stay polished to a nice deep shine before it begins to fade and oxidize? The car will not be a daily driver anymore but may be driven pretty much any day the weather is nice (and even if its not sometimes).

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of if its even worth it to polish the valvecovers or just paint them.

Also, if I pull the valvecovers should I put something over the head like a garbage bag or something since it may be a while since the valvecovers end up back on the car?

Thanks alot guys!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the fuel rails can be polished.

You might look into Zoop Seal if you are going to polish a lot of items. It is a hybric ceramic sealant that keeps the aluminum for oxidizing for 2 years. Very easy application, but time consuming. I would honestly look into acquiring another set of valve covers so you can have a second set in case you mess one up but also so you could keep a set on the heads. At the very least, I would cover the heads up with something.

The Zoop Seal can be bought from Eastwood off here, site sponsor, or direct from Zoop.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Zoopseal seems a little pricey for my purposes, I'd rather do some maintenance now and then on the finish then spend 100+ dollars on a sealant, I'm really just wondering how much maintenance would really be involved.

As for an extra set of valvecovers I'm not really too worried about it the car is put away for the winter so its not going anywhere till at least the end of may.

Would garbage bags taped over the heads for a few weeks be ok?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
Zoopseal seems a little pricey for my purposes, I'd rather do some maintenance now and then on the finish then spend 100+ dollars on a sealant, I'm really just wondering how much maintenance would really be involved.

As for an extra set of valvecovers I'm not really too worried about it the car is put away for the winter so its not going anywhere till at least the end of may.

Would garbage bags taped over the heads for a few weeks be ok?
Garbage bags should be fine
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can check my car out and see what I have under the hood, I drive in the summer only and keep everything shined up a few times a year. Stays that way for a month or so but with Mothers polish it'll last alittle while. to me its worth the trouble.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
You can check my car out and see what I have under the hood, I drive in the summer only and keep everything shined up a few times a year. Stays that way for a month or so but with Mothers polish it'll last alittle while. to me its worth the trouble.

got pics?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Anyone else on how long their polished stuff tends to last

Quick Reply: How long will my polished aluminum last?