Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removable or Replacable Rear Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removable or Replacable Rear Window Tint Question

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a solution to having both a clear rear window as well as one tinted or blocked or something. For certian circumstances I want it to be clear so that the big sound system will be visable, but the rest of the time I want it blocked otu or covered. I'm going to be removing the rear window tint soon as it is starting to peel, but I didn't want to just retint it again.

I was thinking I might be able to make a fabric cover that would go over the rear storage area kind of like the 3rd gens had or maybe make a clear plexi insert that I could tint and mount on the inside of the window so that it would be removable. Both ideas would probably look like crap, though.

I've also seen that cheap stick on tint, but that stuff is slightly cloudy plus looks like crap as well.

I might could get 2 hatches, the stock one with dark tint and another with clear glass without the defroster grid for show. That may be too much work swapping them.

Maybe I should just retint it again and just have to pop the hatch to show it? I don't know. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe ad some subtle lights onto ur system so it is visible through a not so dark tint
Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion is if its a daily driver and you take it around town, stealth is better for a system. I try to stay away from any signs of having anything worth stealing. I probably have one of the best sounding system for our cars and if u looked in you would never know I had a system.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
maybe ad some subtle lights onto ur system so it is visible through a not so dark tint
I was wanting to have the sunlight hit it. It gives the stained wood a special glow.

Anyway, I'll just wait and see.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think this perforated vinyl may be the answer. Get some in gloss black. There's no way you can look in, yet you can look out fine.

Media View Two Way Visio film opens up a new world of promotional opportunities by turning glass doors and windows into premium advertising space. Media View Window Perf is a perforated window film for graphics on the outside and full visibility from inside. Ideal for fleet graphics and glass doors and office windows. Gives the inside a tinted glass effect. Available in #1.5 and #2.0 hole size. #1.5 is ideal for vehicles, and #2.0 is good for buildings. In all cases Media View Perforated Window Vinyl is the best window graphics you can have on your glass because the vision is very clear, the color of the graphics is the best, and the window film will not peal off or fail. The only draw back to this product is that when it rains the holes fill with water and make it very difficult to see out of the glass. In most places in the USA it only rains about 5% of the time so the fact that 5% of the time your vision will be poor, is in most cases worth the fact that the film will last much longer and give you a perfect vision when it is not raining. This product is so good we offer a full 2 year warranty on this film. When going up in rainy areas it is recommended to laminate with our Optically Clear Overlaminate (MVCOL)