Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Gauge glass is stained

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge glass is stained

I noticed this the day I got my car and it has always bothered me but not enough to figure out what the problem is. Now I looked at a couple interior pics and how clean and clear the glass is on other peoples' cars and I want mine to be the same.

The glass in front of my gauges has some odd stains on it that look like water spots on paint. I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it off of glass. I thought I might be able to polish it out but I don't want to risk screwing the glass up.

Have any of you had this happen or know how to remedy the situation? I would prefer to not have to pull the glass out. I already tried and couldn't see a way to remove it without removing the steering column.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was the same in my SS, I just pulled it out one day and got the mini buffer after it and it looked new. You dont need plastic polish ither, any good quality fine grade compound works great. I used the 3M Microfinishing compound on mine. Mine was etched into the lense, you can probably polish it by hand if its just spots.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
I noticed this the day I got my car and it has always bothered me but not enough to figure out what the problem is. Now I looked at a couple interior pics and how clean and clear the glass is on other peoples' cars and I want mine to be the same.

The glass in front of my gauges has some odd stains on it that look like water spots on paint. I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it off of glass. I thought I might be able to polish it out but I don't want to risk screwing the glass up.

Have any of you had this happen or know how to remedy the situation? I would prefer to not have to pull the glass out. I already tried and couldn't see a way to remove it without removing the steering column.

Just buy a gauge cluster bezel from Macewen for like $39 bucks....
And call it a day. lol

1997-2002 Firebird Instrument Cluster Bezel with Lens - NEW PART. This part differs from Camaro bezel-lens. It features an inner black bezel that frames out each individual gauge on the panel for a more polished look. This is a NEW OEM part. Will fit 1997-2002 Firebirds, and Camaros without modification; just snap it in place. Fits only 1997-2002 Firebirds which have digital LCD odometers
Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kage
Just buy a gauge cluster bezel from Macewen for like $39 bucks....
And call it a day. lol

1997-2002 Firebird Instrument Cluster Bezel with Lens - NEW PART. This part differs from Camaro bezel-lens. It features an inner black bezel that frames out each individual gauge on the panel for a more polished look. This is a NEW OEM part. Will fit 1997-2002 Firebirds, and Camaros without modification; just snap it in place. Fits only 1997-2002 Firebirds which have digital LCD odometers

word...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone ever used Nu Finish Scratch Doctor to polish the cluster lens back to life? The label doesn't mention anything specifically about polishing plastic though.

I should be ordering my Novus headlight cleaning kit soon but I have some free time today so I was wondering if the Nu Finish Scratch Doctor could take it's place.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best product to do it yourself if a pemetex(spelling?) headlight lens scratch remover kit,,, they have em at walmart here.
but first take your dash trim off and remove the tiny screws first to remove it,,, and clean it with soap and water on both sides first,,, it could just be armorall on there causeing the spots. then try waxing it.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the 3M microfinish paint polish. I think parts stores even stock small bottles of it and it works great on clear plastic.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine had some stains like than on the cluster, looked like they were armor all stains. Couldn't get them off until I used some plastic polish.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

I bet this is over-spray from armor-all or something. It's a pain to get off, but it comes off.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its armorall go to your medicine cabnet or your sister, mom or gf wifes room and try either of these products to remove the stain. (test in small area first so it doesnt wreck the plastic, cause one of these should work)
-Fingernail polish remover (great also for removing window tint sticky film)
-Rubbing alchol
-Isoproynol alchol (great for cleaning paint before installing decals)
-alcohol based hand sanitizer
-hand cleaner (VERY important make sure it contains NO grit or pumice)
Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try Plastic X. The plastic piece in front of my gauges on my notch were real messed up, so i put some plastic x on a papertowl and rubbed it out, looked good afterwards.

Quick Reply: Gauge glass is stained