Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Wash Routine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash Routine?

It takes me awhile to get that nice SHINE look on the car. Then the chrome rims take just as long to get them shiny. What is the best routine or the best products out there? Right now i just use water and my microfiber cloth and towels to wash and dry.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun (optional)
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam (optional)

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-when vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty much anything ZaneO says is gonna be your best bet to reduce the amount of swirls when you wash.

Hose down car real good to remove any dust or debris so you don't rub it in the paint and cause swirls during wash.

Wash paint and windows with microfiber hand mit

Wash wheels/tires with separate wash mit

Drying. A lot of swirling is caused by this process. Only use microfiber towels, chamois, or pure air to dry. Personally I like to dry it off with my leaf blower. There's no way a blower can cause that many swirls
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished cleaning my T.A. with the instructions zaneO gave me and it looks great. I never thought to use a leaf blower, that sped up the process by a lot. Yea i just got finishing designating towels and mitts. Having a fast but efficent routine is important when you live in michigan lol. I was washing in my garage and it was about 0 outside. One more question though. When cleaning the wheel wells, do you just normally spray it down, cuz i used a junky white towel and it ended up black after all 4?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoe22
It takes me awhile to get that nice SHINE look on the car. Then the chrome rims take just as long to get them shiny. What is the best routine or the best products out there? Right now i just use water and my microfiber cloth and towels to wash and dry.
On Adams Polishes site you can view some instructional videos on the right. I just tried some of their products this past weekend and they work really well, so well that I placed a second order which will be here tomorrow. Click on the specials and promos and scroll down a few items.

I use Zaino and Adams, but I might try the Adam's polish and wax after I use up my Zaino. Adams detail spray is the best I've ever used. Even cleans the windows nice with no streaks(not sure if it's safe on tinted windows, I just used it on the outside), I have their window cleaner coming tomorrow for the inside.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i think Zane0's got it down
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

vaccum, wash car with soap, clean wheels, the wash car again, back the car into the garage dry car off, polish and chrome rims, open doors clean all interior, wipe leather down, clean glass inside and out, wax once car is all dry then buff by hand to a great looking shine.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
On Adams Polishes site you can view some instructional videos on the right. I just tried some of their products this past weekend and they work really well, so well that I placed a second order which will be here tomorrow. Click on the specials and promos and scroll down a few items.
I just watched that video and learned a lot. That is the longest detailing video i've seen though. How often would you do a process like that, or need to do a wash like that?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoe22
I just watched that video and learned a lot. That is the longest detailing video i've seen though. How often would you do a process like that, or need to do a wash like that?
Make sure to check the promos, 4th item down.

You only have to clay bar if the paint needs it, thats what adds a lot of time at first. After that it just depends on how often you want to clean the car and how shiny you like to keep it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

well one question i see a mention of a foam gun.What exactly is this i dont think i have ever heard of this .But if zan says so thin it must be good so fill me any any links or pics of what it is. I feel so ashamed not knowing
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1chris
well one question i see a mention of a foam gun.What exactly is this i dont think i have ever heard of this .But if zan says so thin it must be good so fill me any any links or pics of what it is. I feel so ashamed not knowing
not sure about for cars but we have one at work for the floors when i use to scrub them at night. just makes like a lot of bubbles and foams it up.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Now if i dont have a buffer and i use that swirl and haze remover, will i get the same results by wiping it off with just a microfiber towel?

Quick Reply: Car Wash Routine?