Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP with clay bar/ polish/ wax!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with clay bar/ polish/ wax!!!!!!

So im at the auto parts store and i see all these products like cleaner wax, polish that says shines more than wax and so on!!! and it confused the **** out of me. isnt polish suposed to be wat cleans and POLISHES your car and wax wat gives it the shine? and if so how come thers cleaner wax? its confusing, well to me anyways. i always thought it was

1. wash car
2. clay bar
3. polish
4. wax

if im wrong please correct me and i mean please!!! and can someone please explain to me in detail what the right steps are and what each individual step is ment to acomplish. especially polish and wax!!! thanks alot felas!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the order you put is what i always do (if i need to wheel my car out anyways) i wash it, clay bar it, wheel it out with some wizards finish cut "polish" and then power wash it again to get all the compound and dust off, then wax it.

there are so many different terms and phrases used for similar products that it definatly is confusing, i personally haven't figured out what the hell a "cleaner" wax is yet either?? i know what works for me, and i work at a detail shop doing this stuff all the time, i'm not about to change my "system"
Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Everyone does it differently and use different product but heres how I do it. BTW, I use Zaino products.

1. wash car (dawn or any kind of dish washing soap to remove any left over wax)
2. clay bar
3. wash car
4. Z-5 polish (removes swirl marks)
5. Z-2 polish (atleast 3 or 4 coats)

I also use Z-6 in between coats.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wash
Clay
Wash (you can omit this second wash if you're gonna polish)
Polish
Sealant (optional)
Wax

A cleaner wax cleans the surface as it waxes, so layering does nothing for it. That's probably the most generically good type of wax for those who don't clay or polish before hand. If you do a polish, then all you need is a good wax after hand.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i was once told by the meguiars people that a sealant does the same as a wax and should not be layered.

I think you're supposed to:
Wash
Clay
Polish/Clean (Whether you're trying to remove swirls or just clean the paint)
Glaze (If you want to add some shine! Which I'm sure we all do)
And finally protect, either with wax or a sealant. Wax protects and shines, Sealant protects longer, but less shine.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by osvaldo
Ok i was once told by the meguiars people that a sealant does the same as a wax and should not be layered.

I think you're supposed to:
Wash
Clay
Polish/Clean (Whether you're trying to remove swirls or just clean the paint)
Glaze (If you want to add some shine! Which I'm sure we all do)
And finally protect, either with wax or a sealant. Wax protects and shines, Sealant protects longer, but less shine.

sounds good. i have this meguiars scratch X remover that works great!! should i use this right after the claybar then polish and wax? or should i polish the car firts and then the scratch X and wax?

its a swirl and scratch remover and says its clear coat safe!!! thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sealant does not do the same thing as a wax. Whether or not you should use scratch-x all depends on what polish you are using. That's what scratch-x is, a polish, an abrasive one. If you are using another abrasive polish, then you are defeating its use. I would assume you are using a less abrasive polish, thus I would say scratch-x, then polish, then wax.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the Meguiars website....

(Synthetic Sealant #21)
Synthetic polymer formulation provides technologically advanced paint care and protection.

* Produces a noticeable deeper, darker, more reflective paint finish
* Synthetic polymers deliver extreme protection
* Elminates fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish
* Glides on easy, with a smooth, resistance-free wipe-off

(HiTech Yellow Wax #26, by the way a great product!)
Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is a premium yellow Carnauba wax blended with silicones, polymers and other waxes. Adds richness and depth of color. Provides ultimate high gloss protection to any previously cleaned and polished paint finish. Available in liquid or paste.

Yeah you're right, completely different things!

Fastss, the Scratch X will be your polish/clean step. Do a search for scratch X on here, you have to break the product down in order to get its full benefits. You use a "cross-hatch" method i believe??? Im not too sure, I'll assume you're working by hand, so get good foam applicators or some of the even coat applicators from meguiars. Hopefully this helps you.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scratch-X is designed to be used as a spot defect solution .. if you need to use it over the whole car, then you are better off using something else ..

the new version can be used with a machine, but there are other things I would choose first.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

But if he's working by hand?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

From the Meguiars website....

(Synthetic Sealant #21)
Synthetic polymer formulation provides technologically advanced paint care and protection.

* Produces a noticeable deeper, darker, more reflective paint finish
* Synthetic polymers deliver extreme protection
* Elminates fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish
* Glides on easy, with a smooth, resistance-free wipe-off

(HiTech Yellow Wax #26, by the way a great product!)
Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is a premium yellow Carnauba wax blended with silicones, polymers and other waxes. Adds richness and depth of color. Provides ultimate high gloss protection to any previously cleaned and polished paint finish. Available in liquid or paste.

Yeah you're right, completely different things!
Nice job posting up a description of a sealant and wax... First off, the descriptions already differ in the fact that their sealant eliminates scratches and swirls whereas the wax does not. This does not have to be the case all of the time with a sealant, but Meguiar's makes it so with theirs (and thus not exactly the most intelligent way of trying to prove a point by disproving it through a characteristic not even being argued, but I digress...)

Regardless, the difference is in the chemical makeup of the two. A sealant uses synthetics/polymers and lasts longer than a wax. A wax uses things like carnauba which is not man-made, which means it breaks down faster in the environment. Maybe I was unclear in trying to say to use one or the other, not necessarily both (but it could be done). Nonetheless, I don't know why I'm explaining this since you already know all of that.

I agree with Gipraw that scratch-x should not be used on the whole car. You are certainly better off using a better/more abrasive polish on the whole car to get those scratches/swirls out. Even if he is using it by hand, it just is not meant to be used in that matter. Obviously it can be done, but it won't be the most efficient way of going about it.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love these threads... you always find the people that "know" how its supposed to be done and they also have a mentality that the more coats of whatever you're using, the better its going to be.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Show me where i suggested using multiple coats . you love these threads were someone asks for help and everyone posts their opinions/procedures for applying their products of choice?
and if the "Elminates fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish" is what you're referring to, then lets not talk about the #21, how about
Polymer Sealant #20...
"Polymer Sealant is a unique blends of polymers, silicones and imported waxes that creates a brilliant high gloss finish that outlasts all other waxes. Safe and effective on all paint finishes, including clear coats."

My point was that the sealant will protect and shine like the wax will, so there is no point in layering them, like you first wrote. and yes i know, the sealant last longer than the wax.

And i'm not claiming to know everything, im pretty new to this, but thats why i asked the megs hotline, i think they know their products pretty well

What other product could he use besides scratch-x? I suggested scratch-x since he already had the product and liked it.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

But if he's working by hand?

Could be a choice then .. but there are also other Meg's products that can be used by hand that might be a better solution ..

don't get me wrong .. Scratch-X is a very good product .. but using it on a whole car without a machine can be difficult.

I woiuld probably lean towards #2 if I had to do a whole car by hand, while still using Scratch-X on the "bad" spots.

Last edited by Gipraw; 02-26-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

the benefits of layering is a long debated subject.

as a general rule of thumb .. two coats of whatever last step product you are using is a good practice .. it ensures complete and even coverage and protection ..

there is also a lot of asthetic benefit top following a synthetic like NXT or #20 or #21 or Mother's Syn or .....(you get the picture) with a carnuba ..

if you are going to do that, a wait time of 12 - 18 hours between final coat of the synthetic and first coat of the carnuba will give it time to cure, and maximize the protection of the synthetic.