Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Brake-Lights...complete with pics & vid

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by delsold
thats sweet...how much time do you think you have invested?
No more time than it is to replace any standard lamp. I am not electrically inclined so I needed to go the expensive route and buy direct plug in replacements. Only trick is buying the right configuration to suit where its going.

-brian
Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm..looks like my question is never gonna get answered ::sigh::
Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

They answered your question a couple times:

The electronic flasher I purchased was the EL12. I needed two, one for the turn signal and one for the hazards to replace the existing thermal flashers.
I replaced the turn signal and hazard thermal flasher with electronic flasher units.
The stock flaser unit is of Thermal type with bimetallic strip inside - when lights are flasing: lights come ON, current heats up bimetallic strip, strip flexes and breaks contact, lights go OFF. This cycle repeats - hence the flashin operation.

When using LED's the current draw is much lower, so the lights either flash very slowly, or maybe not at all since the bimetallic strip doesn't heat up and break contact.

Using a Electronic Flasher unit solves this problem as there is not a strip that needs to be heated by current - flashing is done electronically so current raw is not an issue.

I use the electronic flasher unit with my Sequential Tailights to get the desired quicker flashing. I still use the standard bulbs but added a third flashing style bulb/socket to the outer light position of each tailight (they have a small non-flashing bulb from factory - really only the (2) interior most bulbs flash from factory). Adding the 3rd flashing bulb/socket on each side made the sequential effect much more pronounced than if only using two bulbs. Since I added more resistance to the circuit with the extra bulbs, the outer bulbs would flash VERY briefly and were hardly noticeable (bimetallic strip was heating up and breaking contact befoer the outer bulb had any chance to really light up) After adding the electronic flasher - they all flash perfectly, in sequence and at the correct rate...

-Jay-
Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
On The Tree

Looks the same from my room!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

NICE!!! Only thing I"d change is that I'd swap teh 194 socket for a 3157 so all your lights, light up and signal together. I like how those LED bulbs worked out, no "hot spots" which is typical of the older LED replacement bulbs. One day I'll actually get around to doing mine with hundreds of LEDs, but I'm in no hurry.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

hmm maybe that and a sequential turn signal mod...and here I thought I was done for a bit spending money on the car's lighting. Thanks for your help BTW

-Brian
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great. Still waiting on a daylight comparision! I hope that these are at least as good as stock bulbs.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently purchased some LED towers for my front turns/drl's They would not blink...is that due to the lack of the electronic flasher? Will this fix my issue? I really want some bright white lights up front in comparison to what I have now. I have LED's in my 194's and love them.
THanks
Dave
Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Looks great. Still waiting on a daylight comparision! I hope that these are at least as good as stock bulbs.
It's been cloudy the past few days and the car is more or less not being used. On a nice sunny day, I will pull the car out and snap a few shots. I would not be using these if I thought they would not be nearly bright enough for daytime use. No way do I want to get rear ended.

LOHRTBT - Sounds like you def need to pick up an electronic flasher.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic Brian ! I was wondering when you would get everything finished up
Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

I think it looks great. I bought all LED bulbs several months ago and never got around to installing them. I spent a buttload of money on my LEDs and now I need electronic flashers, yet another expensive project....
Old 03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Looks fantastic Brian ! I was wondering when you would get everything finished up
Thanks. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I finished these up. Only thing left is to get a kaixen HID H3 kit for the foglights and it's all finished. I would like to put some accent lighting in the engine bay but don't want to rice it up.

-Brian
Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr

Here are daytime pics. It was finally nice enough to take the car out of the garage. They look plenty bright to me.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work, looks like it came out pretty good!

I couldnt help but smile to myself though, when you were doing the turn signal demos in the video...... "right blinker" <clack! clack! *flash* *flash* *flash*> Our turnsignal stocks are SUCH a POS. They feel like theyre going to break off everytime you put them on. It bugs me everytime I have to turn! haha. I usually just end up holding the stalk right before its about to click in, but where it still lights up, that way I dont have to hear it snapping in... I know its a random thought, but the vid just made me think of it. But back to your regularly scheduled program
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Yea i had to laugh at myself making that video. No idea why I was speaking with such urgency lol. I agree about the stalk clacking sound. So damn loud.

-Brian
Old 03-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Mia
On The Tree

where do you get the EL12?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

You can get the LED flashers pretty cheap on eBay, here are some links:

eBay Link #1

eBay Link #2

I bought all of my LED stuff from www.vleds.com and they are an excellent company.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

AutoZone and other auto parts stores should have the EL-12 for around that price too.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Hey man do you have any vids of the switchbacks you have in the front housings?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f...370005d349.htm

Enjoy.

-Brian

Quick Reply: LED Brake-Lights...complete with pics & vid