Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow . . .

Next mod starting tom., lol. Looks great, mine's the same color so I know pretty much exactly what it will look like, THANKS ALOT ! ! !
Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

did mine last weekend; 13 year old stock paint and you can't even tell it was there
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Hahaha...i just did my today. That's weird..We all think a like. Mine is on a Black T/A...I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. I Got the sticky stuff by stealing the wifes hair dryer, put it on low, and used my thumb to clean it off. Then followed up with some goo b gone, then a little claybar action in the area to rid of any traces. Looks awesome..
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

LOOKS GOOD!!! I like the way it looks on Camaros. It makes it look clean and the body lines match up a lil better.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

If i get the time I will be doing this tomorrow... so its basically
Fishing line -> Paint safe cleaner (Any specific one? Everyone mentions but no actual name) -> Goo Gone
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

i didnt use any fishing line. grab some mechanics gloves, and see if you can pull it up first. it shouldnt be hard, and you might get the adhesive with it. you have a higher probability of getting the adhesive off by pulling the molding off, rather than using the fishing line, imo.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did mine tonight... Tried the fishing line with no success... found it much easier just to hit it with a hair dryer, then get the edge of a piece of it up and pull slowly while blowing underneith the freshly pulled part wiht the hair dryer until it comes all the way off.
To get of the left-over tape/residue I tried goo gone first, no go, then bug and tar remover with no luck. Eventually tried some 3M aerosol adheasive remover and it worked, but not as good as just taking a towel and rubbing up and down on it untill it was off then go over the leftover crap with some 3M stuff

Looks WAY better, too bad my digi-cam is back at school and I'm at home.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shiv15
If i get the time I will be doing this tomorrow... so its basically
Fishing line -> Paint safe cleaner (Any specific one? Everyone mentions but no actual name) -> Goo Gone
Basically.

The paint safe cleaner = a Goo Gone like product.

I'd just make sure to detail it afterwards. That way you get whatever debris is still left over from the glue and you get whatever remains from the adhesive remover off the paint. It might not hurt to wait a day or so (esp being an inside car) but we all know how sexy these girls look after a bath .
Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
Did mine tonight... Tried the fishing line with no success... found it much easier just to hit it with a hair dryer, then get the edge of a piece of it up and pull slowly while blowing underneith the freshly pulled part wiht the hair dryer until it comes all the way off.
To get of the left-over tape/residue I tried goo gone first, no go, then bug and tar remover with no luck. Eventually tried some 3M aerosol adheasive remover and it worked, but not as good as just taking a towel and rubbing up and down on it untill it was off then go over the leftover crap with some 3M stuff

Looks WAY better, too bad my digi-cam is back at school and I'm at home.
Im diong it right now, just got one side done.. this is what i had to do, basically just pull it off with a hairdryer.. the fishing line thing didnt work too hot. But i pu rchased goo gone and its working fine. sorry for my crappy typing my fingers are sore.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

are you guys sure your doing the fishing line right??? if so wtf kinda line are youdoing...the point of fishing line is to not stress the clear coat and paint under the molding some people in the past (do a search) have ripped the paint off their cars doing the heat and pull method the fishing line seperates the trim piece from teh car with no adverse force to the paint itself then all you do is pick off the adhesive....trust me fishing line just like you are flossing your teeth ....imagine your hands are like a band saw thingy and just go back and forth cutting the tape from the molding its really quiet simple and doesnt take more then 2 minutes per side.....no heating no preping
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get some acrysol, we used that when i detailed cars, i removed it on my 97 ss, looks excellent on camaros without them. i think the earlier posted camaro looks a little different because of the body kit...

for taking mine off i used a heat gun and acrysol and it worked perfectly, all the glue and adhesive came right off... need to do it to my new camaro yet tho.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, no point in making a new thread. Finished the !sidemold. The paint was excellent on both sides and I had to do the tear/heat method.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
are you guys sure your doing the fishing line right??? if so wtf kinda line are youdoing...the point of fishing line is to not stress the clear coat and paint under the molding some people in the past (do a search) have ripped the paint off their cars doing the heat and pull method the fishing line seperates the trim piece from teh car with no adverse force to the paint itself then all you do is pick off the adhesive....trust me fishing line just like you are flossing your teeth ....imagine your hands are like a band saw thingy and just go back and forth cutting the tape from the molding its really quiet simple and doesnt take more then 2 minutes per side.....no heating no preping
Used a 20Lb test line, never broke, it just wouldnt cut through the tape. I tried sawing/pulling/sawing rapidly, just wasnt going anywhere.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I wouldnt be suprised if you werent "deep" enough into the tape, and were just running it right around the edge of the molding.

Even my crap-tastic years old dental floss got 1/4 of the way thru before it got just gave up. But then again, temperature plays a part in it too so if it was cold/cooler out, that could have had some effect.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good, cleaner. Not sure if I like it on the Camaros but I am debating taking mine off b/c the paint is kind of peeling...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

another thing i noticed is that my tape was near brand new lol. it was fighting with me to come off.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good shiv!! Im waitin for a 100+ day to do it here, so that way it will be easier to get off......
Old 03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Bah, you live in CA! I did it in 70 degree weather and didn't have too much trouble.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, its only 60 here and I did mine today
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Removing the sidemoldings makes the car look so much cleaner. Remove the emblems while you are at it.

Quick Reply: Removing Side Molding