Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow perfect, just was I was looking for.

sticky !
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Removing the sidemoldings makes the car look so much cleaner. Remove the emblems while you are at it.
On T/As I think no badges looks better, but it seems like somethings missing on a camaro without them.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Removing the sidemoldings makes the car look so much cleaner. Remove the emblems while you are at it.

your car is perfect!!!! looks so clean, im just not so sure i want to take my badges off but it deffinatly looks bad ***!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I tried the Spider Wire method and didn't have much luck. Perhaps I should have spent the extra buck on the 15 lb line but I went with the 6 lb line because I didn't expect to have to exert so much force. A lot of the time I ended up sawing right through the trim with the line.

The method I eventually used was I got it started with the Spider Wire and eventually used a "pull + cut adhesive with pocket knife" method. Worked for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

looks much cleaner
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
So I tried the Spider Wire method and didn't have much luck. Perhaps I should have spent the extra buck on the 15 lb line but I went with the 6 lb line because I didn't expect to have to exert so much force. A lot of the time I ended up sawing right through the trim with the line.

The method I eventually used was I got it started with the Spider Wire and eventually used a "pull + cut adhesive with pocket knife" method. Worked for me.
you were rubbing the spider wire to close to the trim the key is to keep the line as close to the actual paint/door as possible that way you cut through the tape and not the actual plastic trim...it takes a moment to get the angle down but once you do it literally took me prolly 2min per side to get the molding cut off. and the temp out was only maybe 45-55*F out.....no heat necessary however the hotter the day the easier it is to cut the tape....spider wire doesnt matter how much lbs test you use mostly becuase the way its developed it has a smaller diamater but a much higher tensil strenth or whatever..thats why i use it in both this application and fishing.....lesss bulk and more strength
Old 03-16-2007, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are getting way to deep into this. All I did was get a bit of fishing line under there to pop it up and pulled it off by hand. Rolled the rest of the tape off with my thumb. Took a total of 30 min for everything on my 01
Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
you were rubbing the spider wire to close to the trim the key is to keep the line as close to the actual paint/door as possible that way you cut through the tape and not the actual plastic trim...it takes a moment to get the angle down but once you do it literally took me prolly 2min per side to get the molding cut off. and the temp out was only maybe 45-55*F out.....no heat necessary however the hotter the day the easier it is to cut the tape....spider wire doesnt matter how much lbs test you use mostly becuase the way its developed it has a smaller diamater but a much higher tensil strenth or whatever..thats why i use it in both this application and fishing.....lesss bulk and more strength
Well I understand why it was doing it but I couldn't see a way to get a correct angle to keep it from cutting into the trim. I couldn't keep it flat enough. I'm sure it was just me but it was still a hassle.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to go out on a whim and remove the trim off the doors and the quarter panels this afternoon after cleaning up the car. It took about 1.5 hours to do both sides, which consisted of removing the trim, using WD40 to remove the left over residue, and then waxing back over the area once done. I took both before and after shots...

Items used: Extension cord, GF's Hairdryer (finally a good use for it), WD40, Wax...

It makes the car look so much cleaner, IMO...

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
You guys are getting way to deep into this. All I did was get a bit of fishing line under there to pop it up and pulled it off by hand. Rolled the rest of the tape off with my thumb. Took a total of 30 min for everything on my 01
I'm with you. I actually used dental floss to get about an inch of the molding up and ripped it off by hand. No need to do the whole entire area all the way down. It took me about 10 mins to get all of the molding off and 25 to get all the glue and **** off. Using my thumb. You should see the blister mod
Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

im keeping mine on for the ******** in parking lots that like to park to close and five u door dings
Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Launching!

looks good
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

I can't speak for the Camaros but the TA/ Firebird molding is too low to prevent any harm from a door ding. I just park on the corners and away from people.

I just did this a couple days ago with a hairdryer to heat up the molding/adhesive then just pulled it off by hand and rolled the adhesive back while it was still warm with my thumb.

First door took an hour by pulling only the molding off first....second door took less than 10 minutes by using the hairdryer and rolling the tape back while I was pulling it off. Definitely a much cleaner appearance.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just waited for a hot day, left my car out in the sun for a few hours then yanked them right off. Badges came off easy too.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Looks great this is done on my SS and my TA!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Before

After

Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

I figured this is the cheapest mod I can do so I made it the first one I do to my 95 formula. I took off the driver door molding. I didn't use the fishing line, I just pulled on the molding and it came right off. But then I had the black gunk to scrape off. All I can say is that THIS will teach you what patience is all about. It probably took me a good 4 hours of continuous picking at it (and I didn't use tools, just my fingers and fingernails). I tried bug and tar remover, tried Goo-Gone, tried hair dryer. All those things may have helped but no more than 10% combined. FOUR freaking hours it took me to get the stupid thing off and now there's no more black junk but there's a whole bunch of glue still stuck to it. And I gave up. I'm going to go to Advance Auto and pick up some automotive glue remover, maybe that'll help.

So now I'm driving like an idiot with one side with molding and the other one without. I can't wait till I waste another Sunday on picking the passenger's side off.

Was it worth it though?
Definitely!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flymybird
So now I'm driving like an idiot with one side with molding and the other one without. I can't wait till I waste another Sunday on picking the passenger's side off.
Bahaha,

Quick Reply: Removing Side Molding