Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

swirl mark remover/swirl cutter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swirl mark remover/swirl cutter?

its gonna be gorgeous today, so i wanna detail the Z pretty well. it's white, so i've never really worried about swirl marks since you cant really see em. but i bought a buffer and i wanna give it a shot today, and i want to take care of everything. so i'm gonna make a quick run to autozone (ordinarily i'd just order some zaino, but i wanna get this done today while its 80 degrees. i know they carry meguiars products, so i was looking at the cleaners they have online. my question is - should i use the medium cut or the fine cut? i'm leaning toward the fine cut. am i right? i dont want to do any damage to my paint surface...

also, this is the order i'm planning on doing - is this correct?

wash
clay
swirl cutter
zaino
quick detail
zaino
quick detail
zaino
quick detail
sealer wax

dont know if i'll get it all done today, but i'm off tomorrow as well.

pointers/advice/hints/shortcuts?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you have it all planned out for your process. I would recommend the fine cut since this sounds like your first time using an orbital buffer. Going lighter on the first few passes will allow you to make judgements on your progress and better know for next time how aggressive you should be. Paint prep is crucial in preparing the surface for whichever wax you choose to use so take your time. I would set the speed anywhere from 5.5-6 and work each fender, taking the time to wipe off the residue before it dries. Also, I find it helpful to put some tape over areas that may be marred or stained with compound when your buffer e.g. rubber and plastic trim. It will make cleanup that much easier.

When you run out of your current product of Zaino, feel free to sample Tropi-Care from myself.

Good luck and post some pics when your done.

-Brian D.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say Zaino, I assume that's Z2? Or do you mean Z5? If you're using Z2, that is your sealant. You don't need to wax after that.

Looks like a good process though.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Launching!

oh ok. i thought all the zainos were polishes, didnt realize it was a sealant as well. thanks.

i picked up some 3M polishing compound with carnauba wax, but i still plan on putting the zaino over top of it. it might take me 2 days to complete the whole process, but i'll get pics.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Launching!

woohoo, this is WORK! definitely noticing a difference, but i dont think this 3M stuff is quite strong enough to get all the swirls out, especially having trouble with the hood. but it looks 75% better, definitely. have the passenger side and rear still to go, then on to zaino. i'll probably hit the boyfriend's cobra up when i finish the Z. he has a kandy blue on the front of his, so it'll probably be more noticeable than my white.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you ever want to try Megs, I recommend #50/#53.