Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LS1Tech Wiki - Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1Tech Wiki - Detailing and Appearance!

Detailers! You know who you are! The same dudes who keep posting in detail-related threads: chupa, Gripon, ZaneO, and others who are skilled in the art...

Come edit the LS1Wiki on detailing here: http://wiki.ls1tech.com/index.php?title=Detailing

Last edited by NightWindDriftr; 03-15-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Resident

Bump...
Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT!

Anything appearance-related is welcome too! We could always use an article on halos and the new dual halos! A how-to on the Berger panel and CETA bumper! A listing of different hood types for the Camaro and especially the TA!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

can any detailer just edit it.... i dont post much about detailing because as stated there are quite a few other "experts" out there who most people already trust but I do a lot of detailing on the side and noticed something not mentioned that probably should be....

If your going to use both a sealent and wax the sealent should be applied first to bond to the paint the problem is that depending on the sealent and wax combination used the wax may not properly adhere to the sealent i know for a fact that most waxes will not bond to menzerna, blackfire, and griots garage sealents it comes out kind of splotchy
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sticky?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems good. Although the sail pannel bubbles can not be blamed on heat, because my car is 10x worse now than it was when it went into storage.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rich189
can any detailer just edit it.... i dont post much about detailing because as stated there are quite a few other "experts" out there who most people already trust but I do a lot of detailing on the side and noticed something not mentioned that probably should be....

If your going to use both a sealent and wax the sealent should be applied first to bond to the paint the problem is that depending on the sealent and wax combination used the wax may not properly adhere to the sealent i know for a fact that most waxes will not bond to menzerna, blackfire, and griots garage sealents it comes out kind of splotchy
Yes, any detailer with any amount of knowledge is welcome to contribute. I myself am no professional, but I've got a bit of experience under the belt.

If you're aware of specific sealant + wax problems, feel free to list those as well! I rarely top a sealant with a wax, but when I do (Duragloss + Collinite) I have no problems. My best guess is that if it's not an interaction between sealant and wax, the splotchiness may occur from inadequate curing time of the sealant.

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
sticky?
I asked. I'll ask again.

Originally Posted by _JB_
Seems good. Although the sail pannel bubbles can not be blamed on heat, because my car is 10x worse now than it was when it went into storage.
If you have any further details on what causes the adhesive to suddenly want to rise, do add it! To the best of my knowledge, the problem is aggravated by heat. But you are right; ever since I took my car out of storage, my bubbles have been getting progressively worse. And Idaho isn't exactly the hottest state, even during the summer!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I knew what caused the bubbles. My panel looks like it has chicken pox...and it's been in a building since October so NO sun/heat has gotten to it. Maybe humidity...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Yes, any detailer with any amount of knowledge is welcome to contribute. I myself am no professional, but I've got a bit of experience under the belt.

If you're aware of specific sealant + wax problems, feel free to list those as well! I rarely top a sealant with a wax, but when I do (Duragloss + Collinite) I have no problems. My best guess is that if it's not an interaction between sealant and wax, the splotchiness may occur from inadequate curing time of the sealant.

well the main problem isnt the curing time its just that some of the newer sealents have acrylic polymers that most waxes just wont "stick" correctly to...ie i know after using menzerna sealents piniccle souveran will not adhere correctly yet because of the polymers added to blackfire wet diamond carnuba it will adhere correctly

Quick Reply: LS1Tech Wiki - Detailing