Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What cameras you guys using? Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use a Nikon D40. Its a great beginner camera. Small and light with plenty of features. Its lacking behind in the megapixel race, but 6MP is more than enough for even 13x9 prints. (I wish I had known about the rumored D40x though).

Not a bad price either. Got mine with the kit lens for $550 plus shipping. The accessories add up to: a decent lens, fliters, bags, memory cards, etc, etc. It is almost as expensive as a car.

Luke
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I just picked up an Rebel XT about a month ago. I LOVE it! Ive only got the kit lense, but so far its doing the job for me. I spent the extra $ tho and got the starter kit that came with a bag, UV filter and extra battery. And you GOTTA get a memory card.

I felt the XTi wasnt worth the extra price for me but it isnt a bad camera by anymeans.
Old 03-15-2007 | 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Good camera != good photographer.
Old 03-15-2007 | 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CajunCC
Good camera != good photographer.
True, but that's not really much help for someone looking for a camera. The pics he showed require some manual adjustment and/or advanced functionality not found on many low end cameras. Not all cameras are able to capture shot like them, so the limiting factor is not necessarily the photographer's ability, but in this case, could also be equipment.

I've written heaps about cameras in this thread and this one (though the latter also has some banter between myself and Choco), including this quote (to show you I fully agree)
Thinking that any camera takes the best pictures is ignorant. So much depends on lighting, user settings, framing, camera stability, etc. Photographers are artists not because of the hardware they own, but because of their ability to use it, their eye for the shot, and having perfect timing.
Old 03-15-2007 | 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

You and I are definitely 100% in agreement. The camera needs to be capable. Honestly though, I can't think of a whole lot of things a Rebel can do that my couple-hundred-dollars-less S3-IS can't, especially for someone who's not REALLY into photography.

I guess it's just an annoyance of mine lately. Being someone that has photography as a hobby, I really hate seeing people going around buying expensive DSLR cameras and not having a clue how to use them. Generally I will never suggest an SLR to anyone. I figure if they know enough about photography to need an SLR, then they won't be asking for advice. They'd already know what they need.

To answer the question in the original post, a Canon A-series camera is a great buy for just about anyone. It's got plenty of controls for advanced users, takes great photos, has capabilities for converter lenses, and is small enough and has enough automatic modes to be great for the novice also. A DSLR is a lot of expensive equipment to carry around. If you want something you can take anywhere and still get great shots, I can't recomment a Canon A-series enough. There's a decent range of prices and features in that line and they're all great cameras.
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Well I have a Kodak 5MP one which lets me go manual I love it. I think that for the ocassional pic fun is enough. I recently got some lenses (wide angle and telephoto) as well as a nice set of filters including a circular polarizing one that is a most for car picture taking IMO.

I think they came out good. The polarizing lens brings out the reflectivity and shine characteristics of the paint.
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:21 PM
Launching!

I use a Canon Powershot S3 IS which is the mostly lovely camera I've ever had and takes excellent shots. It's super awesome on macro shots.
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

The S3 is as close to an SLR as you can get without actually having one. Definately a nice camera.

I only recommend low end SLRs, like the Nikon D40, to people who aren't photogs, because they are the people it was designed for. The controls on it are in many ways simpler than the advanced point and shoots like the Canon S3 or Nikon P5000, and the pricing is about the same.

Thanks for adding the Canon A series. They definately are solid all around performers (while I prefer Nikon SLRs, I prefer Canon point and shoots). At a quick glance, the A570 IS would be a good option, and can be had for ~$265.
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

i take it you want only digital and not old school film? i have a 40 year old pentax bought in germany that will take as good as, if not better pics then a digicam, with the right film.

Quick Reply: What cameras you guys using? Need some advice.