Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detail of a "mother's" Trailblazer SS (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tbss are quick as hell, my neighbor let me drive his......luxory too.........black looks great on these
Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tech
Got any write ups on a car that has seen more road duty? No offense, but a black car could get that dirty after one rain. Wet sanding and polishing the scratches out is pretty standard practice for any bodyshop/detailer.

Don't get me wrong, the truck looks good. I'm just not overly impressed with the products used. I think plenty of other 'off the shelf' products would produce similar results on such a new vehicle.
i agree in the sense that that car really isnt that dirty.

id like to see the before an after of a real DD, something like what i got with 13 year old paint, with plenty of scratchs and in need of a clay bar BAD, and it also happens to be a black car. id like to see how your techniques and products rekindle a worn out paint job.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Could you make a more compiled list of the products you use. I got a 1997 Black T/A and I have yet to find a solution that comes out as clean as yours. Amazing.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Very nice job! trailblazer ss' are the shiznit
Old 03-18-2007, 03:04 AM
FormerVendor

For those of you that think you need to see something in worse condition I will post up a thread here in a minute with pictures of a Honda in really rough shape that I took care of back in December.

While this TB SS might not have been all that "dirty" in your eyes there is a lot more to this detail than just getting the dirt off

Here is a link to the detail I mentioned above:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/678166-detail-trashed-01-honda-accord.html
Old 03-18-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you use any specific product to get the plastic trim pieces to look that good? Such as the plastic trim on the bumber below the hatch and the plastic shrouding on the wind sheild?

And did you use the tire dressing in the wheel wells?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Looks very nice.

Steve .. I like the carnuba look on top of the sealant .. How long do you normally wait between application of the sealant and the application of the carnuba? I usually wait 18 - 24 hours between the sealant and the carnuba .. what do you recommend with your stuff ?

also .. how does your Tire and Rubber dressing hold up when used to dress the wheel wells ? does it attract and hold a lot of dust and dirt?

LOL. There are quite a few of us down here. Must be the weather .. or the women.
From personal experience on my own vehicles, I usually will apply the carnauba wax on a clean,cool surface in the shade the next day.

The tire dressing is a water based formula which may be applied by foam applicator or sprayed on the wheel wells and spread evenly across the surface. Using on my tires, there is no additional dust or dirt attraction compared to undressed surfaces.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JTH2000SS
what is a clay bar? i've heard people talk about them on here before but i have never seen one
The use of clay bar is a highly recommended step in the restoration of the paint surface. It doesn't remove scratches from the surface but it will remove surface contaminants such as tree sap, paint over spray, rail dust, bugs, tar and old wax. It can also be used on wheels and glass. See our TC-1 Clay Bar at www.tropi-care.com.

Once completed, it will leave the surface as smooth as glass prior to application of wax, sealant or glazes. You'll be able to apply these products on the surface easier and they'll last longer as compared to not using the clay bar.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tech
Got any write ups on a car that has seen more road duty? No offense, but a black car could get that dirty after one rain. Wet sanding and polishing the scratches out is pretty standard practice for any bodyshop/detailer.

Don't get me wrong, the truck looks good. I'm just not overly impressed with the products used. I think plenty of other 'off the shelf' products would produce similar results on such a new vehicle.
None taken. I have posted threads in other forums in the past not to tout detailing heroics but to provide descriptive techniques and tools for effective surface restorations.

Here's a thread of an '01 Prowler I did last year. Some one had previously tried to buff it with a rotary polisher before it came to me. Notice all the swirl marks and holograms on the rear deck lid in particular.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=434929

I have never worked in a body shop environment and all my detailing experience is self taught with many hours of practice while working and trying new techniques and products on my own vehicles.

Have you ever taken a good look at some new cars on the show room floor? Just wiping down the surfaces dry with incorrect towels contribute new scratches each time. You get all those scratches for free from the dealership.

Since your not overly impressed with the products used, just reading about it here doesn't make for a fair assessment. It sounds like you have had good results with your previous products. However, many of the "on the shelf" products may not be strong enough to provide suitable results for stubborn situations. We have a trial sample special on our main detail products + TC-8 Swirl Cutter for just $7. This give one a chance to test and evaluate our products for a fraction of retail. Just a couple of days left in this offer. Many have taken advantage so don't miss out.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

wow you did a great job man. you can wash the ole ss whenever you want.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Launching!

was she a milf?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I certainly don't think I know everything about refinishing cars but I have wet sanded, polished and detailed cars. I worked for a repair shop that did some detailing but sub'd most of it. I have seen the work that goes into taking a 1985 Chrysler Caravan from a kid's playground (gum stuck in seats, carpets, cup holders, ash trays... crayons and food in every crack... dog hair back bay the hatch and on the seats...) and turn it into something that a dealer could put on a car lot. I'm just not excited about your products because I've seen it done with stuff I can pick up down the street.

All of the car enthusiasts certainly appreciate it when someone takes the time to spread some information. I just think your post should have been more about the process and less about the part numbers. Maybe include tips about how to use a polisher and not chew up the edges of a panel or how to remove road paint, or tips like cleaning and spray painting some areas of the wheel well (surface rusted metal).

Your deal seems reasonable for the sample kit. There just is no reason for me to spend any money (albeit a small amount) for a product that hasn't shown me anything that I haven't already seen.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen that same truck in black with 0 miles on a dealership floor, and it didn't even look that good. You are simply amazing.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're a good salesman, Steve. Nice job. I'll be trying some of your stuff out once the weather gets to the point of me not wanting to kill myself anymore.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

I miss my SS but at least my dad has one I can drive when I get the want to. Looks really good man, bet your mom is proud.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Great job....Black is a Bitch!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Looks sick.

Why is it all the detailers that post up these pictures are from Texas and never anywhere close.
Because it's too f-ing cold in Wisconsin!

-Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Nice work!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Teching In

nice results! I just did some work on my black TBSS and may have to get to buffing, polishing to get it where I want.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 95 Camaro Z28
i agree in the sense that that car really isnt that dirty.

id like to see the before an after of a real DD, something like what i got with 13 year old paint, with plenty of scratchs and in need of a clay bar BAD, and it also happens to be a black car. id like to see how your techniques and products rekindle a worn out paint job.
Just when something seems to be forgotten, it comes back to life. After reviewing through this thread once again, it is easier to bring back vehicles that are relatively new and unscathed for the most part. This comment caught my eye in particular.

Truly gifted detailers can take the most abused surfaces and restore to better than new new. No matter how old the surfaces are, the key is how to keep them that way after the magic has been performed. I've seen year-old vehicles with surfaces so scratched up by improper materials and techniques, you would think that they were 10 years old. Here is my soon to be 13 year old Viper that I have owned for 11 years. It is not trailered to any location but does not have 100K miles:

Now to the potential for a DD driver that has never been clay barred or buffed in over 8 years:

Paint potential after compounding:

It's about about a process to achieve satisfactory results. For the beginner or novice, it's a process of trial and evaluation until one gains experience of how the products work on the surface. It's important not to get impatient and frustrated while learning to use these products and techniques. Results will happen. It just takes time to learn.

Quick Reply: Detail of a "mother's" Trailblazer SS (long)