Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headliner Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headliner Update

ok, so I put the first coat of dye on the headliner. Looks even better in person, for some reason the camera didn't get a really good pic. It came out fairly dark. (pic below)

I think upon further talkin to the upholstery shop I got the dye from, that I'm gonna use it for my door panels, sails, center console & dash. Which means for it to all match I'm gonna have to re-do my trunk pieces in the same hue of black. Its called SEM dye. It is specially made for interior coloring. They said lots of people use it in show cars to help restore color to faded panels in older cars instead of having them recovered. I really like how it laid on the material of the headliner. On the can it says you can do carpet, soft plastics & hard plastics.

Should look good when everything is installed. I'm still getting quotes for getting the door inserts installed in my panels.

Anyway here is the pic of the headliner.
before

after
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Thankx, its a work in progress. It'll be sick when its all together & installed.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

how difficult is it to recover your own headliner? mine has a tear on it and i was thinking of just removing the fabric and stretching some suede material over it and cutting. is that feasible or would you leave something like that to a professional?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

From as flimsy as this thin feels out of the car, I wouldn't attempt it. I bought it with the designs in it from a member on here along with the door inserts. All I did was dye it black. I would call a local upholstery shop.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kaos_
how difficult is it to recover your own headliner? mine has a tear on it and i was thinking of just removing the fabric and stretching some suede material over it and cutting. is that feasible or would you leave something like that to a professional?
difficult, those things are POS. In my last car I had an ABS plastic headliner from Yearone. I loved it, people always complimented me on it, but i don't have any pics of it in my car . You do have to do some modifying to it to make it fit right but it's better than what you get from the factory. Plus with a plastic one it opens up a world of options for customization. Only thing is yearone takes their jolly old time to ship something to a place only 6 hours away.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
difficult, those things are POS. In my last car I had an ABS plastic headliner from Yearone. I loved it, people always complimented me on it, but i don't have any pics of it in my car . You do have to do some modifying to it to make it fit right but it's better than what you get from the factory. Plus with a plastic one it opens up a world of options for customization. Only thing is yearone takes their jolly old time to ship something to a place only 6 hours away.
i've never seen something like that but i've always been curious about a fiberglass piece...i searched through YearOne's website but couldn't find any leads...

i know you don't have any pics...but do you know where i could find some?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How well does that dye hold up? Would be a much cheaper way of changing to a black interior from the tan stuff I have.....
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

here is a pic of it before I painted it black, don't have any after pictures. If it looks wierd it is because I was sanding it.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
How well does that dye hold up? Would be a much cheaper way of changing to a black interior from the tan stuff I have.....
Supposed to last forever without fading. Yea, thats what I'm doin. My stock interior is Tan right now, but not for long. You can even dye your carpet with this stuff. It runs about $11 a can here where I get it. There is also (3) different shades of black available.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow this is great news, I've always wanted to have a black on black t/a but it was pretty damn expensive and just painting the pieces left them vulnerable to scratching so I just got used to the charcoal interior. This is something I may have to look into in the future! Please post up pics as you make progress with this project!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

oh and btw SEM works great on fabrics and the dash but it does chip, not easily but it does. Not trying to shy anyone away from this product, I am a college kid and always had stuff going in and out of my car. If you are going to paint plastic pieces make sure you buy SEMs plastic adhesive that you are supposed to apply before you lay down the dye. It's a great way to save money and not have a ton of old stuff laying around that you don't want anymore, but if I had to do it again, I'd prolly just buy it, don't take my word for it though, check it out yourself!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks great.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, the guy at the upholstery shop couldn't stress enough that the prep work on this stuff is VERY important if you want it to last.

Quick Reply: Headliner Update