Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Junk on stock alum. wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Junk on stock alum. wheels?

This winter i've taken all the clear coat off of my stock ws6 wheels and polished them with a mothers powerball. i had the car out for a weekend and it was kind of dusty but as far as i know i didn't get the car wet at all. Now i pulled it out of the garage yesterday to clean it and the wheels have this weird corrosion type stuff on the outer lip. the power ball won't take this off. Is there any way to get this off? a rougher compound that won't scratch my wheel? any suggestions i can go take pictures of the wheel if needed.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you take the clear coat off the wheels?

They need to be professionally polished after you remove the clearcoat. Either that, or you need to do it yourself with different stages of rouge, etc.

The powerball is not even close to being the right tool for that. Just a simple polish won't do what you need to do.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/472189-stripping-polishing-oem-ws6-wheels.html
i did the same as in this thread he never had problems no professional polishing. My rims looked perfect untill this weekend they were perfectly shiny and chrome looking. i'm looking for something to take off what sorta looks like waterspots but they won't come off with my metal polish
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
SCRWS6

good luck with that, I`m trying to redo mine with 2000 grit to remove those, might have to go lower, after that I`m getting the polishing kit I keep hearing about from sears....trust me don`t waste your time with the autozone polishers and cleaners unless you want to kill your powerball for a few days straight, even then might not help
Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerball just isn't abbrasive enough IMO. I bought it and used it a couple times... Shitty product.

I now use a BluePoint Polishing kit, costs around 140 bucks. I just take 8" buffing wheels, and cut them out into smaller 3" or so diameter wheels. The only downfall, is that most people don't have access to air/compressor.

A little Mothers Billet, or Brooklyn Ballbuster and they shine like crazy.

Sounds like the next step you need to take, is some white rouge. Water marks can be a bitch to remove, but you reffered to it in your first post as corrosion. If there's still salt on the roads where you live, your probably looking at investing a little bit of time to bring the wheels back.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

there not pitted at all witch is why i ythought they were waterspots if some sort. but it looks like corrosion. i can run my fingers over the rim and it still feels smooth. i guess i'm going to have to spend some time on these things when i get my tax return back. is there any product that i can get to put on the wheels that may help to prevent this from happening again. The car rarely sees rain and i dont' drive it in the winter. I usually only take it out on the weekends