Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Mounted Exhaust Tips - No More Black Soot!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Are you kidding? You have to use sandpaper to get that crud off.

I don't have any pipes to connect now. Why would I do something so stupid even if I could? I ran the car stock for a couple of years and never like the tips getting black. I already said this. Besides the old muffler is gone for a reason, that space will be used by something else.
How often do you clean your car?!?!? Sandpaper??!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very easy to clean the tips. Use a wet SOS pad everytime you wash the car, problem solved in about one minute. You just wasted a lot of time and money doing that. And yeah, a lot of ricers have fake tips, to turn their single exhaust into a dual...with one "floating" tip on one side.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you kidding? You have to use sandpaper to get that crud off.
What in the hell is coming out of your exhaust that you have to use sandpaper to get off?????? I guess its a cool way to save a minute of cleaning tho, i wouldnt do it on a camaro though
Old 05-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I obviously don't see anything retarded about it.

I've never seen a "ricer" with fake tips before. Are you saying they dumped the exhaust before reaching the tips just to keep them clean?

About the black soot, all LS1's have that. Every single one. That pretty much goes for every single car on the road, I believe. I don't think it's something that can be tuned out. Who would do the tuning, a dealership or an aftermarket place?

Are the jester smilies because your just pulling my leg or are you being serious. I can't usually tell when it comes to this stuff.
Calm down bud, I'm not going to throw your pics up in our personal chat room (Cheesy thread) or anything

I've just seen plenty of ricers who have one exhaust pipe that is real and a completely fake pipe hanging next to it just to "look good".

I'm all for appearance mods untill they bring into play fake items that are supposed to be funtional...

For example, a bolted on hood scoop (or any hood scoop) that doesn't let any air in/out...

Again, I think you had a really good idea and went about doing it in a pretty clean way but at the end of the day it still boils down to having two fake exhaust tips hanging out your bumper just to "look pretty"...

I was serious about the tune... My 1999 Trans-Am gave me the same problems untill I gave her a good tune (so it wasn't running so rich) and she was good to go.

You might get a little WHITE soot or something but nothing that needs SANDING off like you said...

Maybe if you did some type of reverse cutout where normally the exhaust dumps but if you throw the switch it goes back through the real exhaust would make this mod less, for lack of a better word, CHEESY

Or you could hook it back up and just convert to Ethanol
Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Or you could hook it back up and just convert to Ethanol

Old 05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

looks good, good idea. but the left tip is off center....
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, I did this mod over a year ago, but I guess I just forgot to make a thread about it.

Anyway, I always hated the black soot that covers the tips as it hides them. I want to be able to see the tips from a distance and have them always look nice, so I had another of my crazy ideas.

I decided to dump the exhuast before the tips and I then took the tips to get fully polished. I fabbed up some simple brackets that allow for a wide range of adjustment as well as bolt to the rear "bumper" bolts. They are super solid and will lift the car if you pull on them. They also have stayed nice and tight for over a year now.

I think I'm going to switch to the Corsa clone type tips in the future. Anyway, check out the pics.

nice, i did the samething because the turbo was coming out one side so dummied them both up

Old 05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

nice idea
Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
How often do you clean your car?!?!? Sandpaper??!
I don't see how that is relevant, but about once a week. Sandpaper or emory cloth. The factory tips are cast aluminum and it takes something abrassive to clean them. I thought everyone knew this.

Originally Posted by thmass6
You just wasted a lot of time and money doing that.
Money wise it cost me about 50 bucks to have the tips fully polished. I built all the rest of the stuff myself. It's not your money or your time obviously. I guess I could say you wasted your time typing in a negative response. That's something that I never understood.
Originally Posted by thmass6
And yeah, a lot of ricers have fake tips, to turn their single exhaust into a dual...with one "floating" tip on one side.
Interesting, I've never heard of that before. That sounds quite a bit different than what I'm doing, though. I did mine to keep them clean and they are doing just one side because they can't run a pipe to the other side. I guess they do it to make things look symetrical and nicer, kind of like how some people waste their time and money waxing their cars. If the end result looks nice, who cares? I don't.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-04-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's a pretty good idea. My Corsa tips get dirty in a week, but I don't use sandpaper to clean them just a cloth.

For the record, I've never seen stock tips before! LOL!!!! I actually like them!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm all for appearance mods untill they bring into play fake items that are supposed to be funtional...

For example, a bolted on hood scoop (or any hood scoop) that doesn't let any air in/out...

Again, I think you had a really good idea and went about doing it in a pretty clean way but at the end of the day it still boils down to having two fake exhaust tips hanging out your bumper just to "look pretty"...
See, I don't make a distinction between functional and non-functional. I see things as more of nice looking or tacky looking. This can get a bit complicated. The scoop on the camaro SS is "functional", but not really. Still, I think it looks good. The hood scoops on the new Mustangs which are not functional at all, just seems tacky to me. So neither are functional, but the SS is just better integrated and works with the lines of the car. The Mustang hood scoop does not. So with me it's really a matter of whether it's tacky or not as opposed to functional or not. In my case these are real factory tips which had about 80K miles on them that are now fully polished and non-fuctional. They still look real and functional to everyone that see's them so it's all good by me. Now if I had a pair of those "fart can" mufflers, you know the round polished type, hanging out the back and not hooked up then I could see your point about looking fake.

I was serious about the tune... My 1999 Trans-Am gave me the same problems untill I gave her a good tune (so it wasn't running so rich) and she was good to go.

You might get a little WHITE soot or something but nothing that needs SANDING off like you said...
My engine is pretty much all factory. So how would you tune it, with a laptop? How much does something like that cost?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by _JB_
I think it's a pretty good idea. My Corsa tips get dirty in a week, but I don't use sandpaper to clean them just a cloth.

For the record, I've never seen stock tips before! LOL!!!! I actually like them!
See, if I had the corsa's or something similar you could just give them a quick wipe, but the stockers are cast and have a rough texture and pitting on the inside edges. You can't just wipe them off.

I like the shape of the stock tips myself. Polishing them makes a huge difference. Look at this older pic of my car and you can see how ugly and black they typically look.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm I dunno man, Im not feeling it. You usually have some pretty out there ideas, some of which I can see and some I cant. This one I cant. Good job on the creativity none the less.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

See, I don't make a distinction between functional and non-functional. I see things as more of nice looking or tacky looking. This can get a bit complicated. The scoop on the camaro SS is "functional", but not really. Still, I think it looks good. The hood scoops on the new Mustangs which are not functional at all, just seems tacky to me. So neither are functional, but the SS is just better integrated and works with the lines of the car. The Mustang hood scoop does not. So with me it's really a matter of whether it's tacky or not as opposed to functional or not. In my case these are real factory tips which had about 80K miles on them that are now fully polished and non-fuctional. They still look real and functional to everyone that see's them so it's all good by me. Now if I had a pair of those "fart can" mufflers, you know the round polished type, hanging out the back and not hooked up then I could see your point about looking fake.

My engine is pretty much all factory. So how would you tune it, with a laptop? How much does something like that cost?
Most of the local guys I know charge about $100 for basic (bolt-ons or less) tunes...
Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Think of it like this. For the last year no one online has noticed that they were fake and I've posted quite a few pics with the new exhaust. The only comments I got were "what kind of tips are those?" as some people just didn't recognize the factory tips. It was only when I showed a low pic of my rear 315's that someone saw the real tips and even then they thought it was a photoshop or something. I had to tell them, no I have 4 "tips" on this car, 2 you see and 2 you can't.

Anyway, it's no big deal if someone doesn't like it. There are a ton of things that have been done to F-bodies that I didn't like and are much worse. One look at the Cheessiest F-body thread will confirm that.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Most of the local guys I know charge about $100 for basic (bolt-ons or less) tunes...
Black soot isn't a real concern for me anymore so I'll probably just wait until I get some headers and then have someone tune it. That seems like the most cost effective thing to do. Here in Houston there is a shop called MTI that can probably do it.

I just haven't gotten real in depth with the engine side of things. In the last 4.5 years of owning this car the most engine work I've done is put a new water pump on. I freakin love these LS1's.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Think of it like this. For the last year no one online has noticed that they were fake and I've posted quite a few pics with the new exhaust. The only comments I got were "what kind of tips are those?" as some people just didn't recognize the factory tips. It was only when I showed a low pic of my rear 315's that someone saw the real tips and even then they thought it was a photoshop or something. I had to tell them, no I have 4 "tips" on this car, 2 you see and 2 you can't.

Anyway, it's no big deal if someone doesn't like it. There are a ton of things that have been done to F-bodies that I didn't like and are much worse. One look at the Cheessiest F-body thread will confirm that.
lol, don't worry about people who don't like it, I never would have noticed it unless I looked under your car. In a few weeks I bet people are going to hate me but if I like it to damn bad
Old 05-05-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really half *** with those shredded pipes under under there
Old 05-05-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tudds
Looks really half *** with those shredded pipes under under there
You mean the ones no one can see unless you put your head on the ground and looked under there? I'm not bothered about that.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's of course your car, and you're free to do whatever you want, but I have to agree with the cheesy comments. I mean, you installed fake exhaust tips. If they work for you, great. Some people make fun of me because I like keeping my car looking 100% stock, so I understand the plight of doing something your own way and having other people question it. At the end of the day, you're the one who's gotta live with the car, not someone else.

As for tuning, if you're putting out lots of black soot, you really should look into getting it tuned. It will make your car run better, it will probably get rid of the soot, and a lot of shops will offer you a good deal in the future for a re-tune.

Quick Reply: Custom Mounted Exhaust Tips - No More Black Soot!