Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best product for swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I am gona go try the 80/83. Afterwords I think I might purchase a kit from tropi care and a PC and go from there
Old 05-19-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Don't expect the 83/80 to do anything by hand, though.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First, it is important to determine whether you are trying to remove the ultra fine lines of swirl marks (looks like holograms and changes appearance when viewed at different angles in the sun) or more stubborn blemishes known as spider webbing or spider scratches. They can happen in a number of ways including the repetitive washing/drying process, wiping dust off the paint surface with a dry towel, or towels/applicators containing scratch-inducing materials.

The swirl mark lines will be tightly packed together with the clear coat appearing cloudy or hazy. In some instances, they can be inflicted by a mild rubbing compound on the rotary polisher when used to level the clear coat after wet sanding or during the removal the spider scratches.

In the case of spider scratches, these are more evident as they appear more pronounced with spaces of clarity between each line on the surface.

Here is a thread discussing and showing the differences between the 2 types of blemishes.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140348

In the case of our TC-8 Swirl Cutter, it is formulated to remove the ultra fine lines of these blemishes up to 2000-2500 grit scratches when used with a lightly misted orange pad on the Porter Cable buffer. You will notice the increasing clarity on the clearcoat moving at the rate of 1"/second at the surface at speed 5-6 on your PC.

If you're unable to remove the more stubborn scratches, you may have reached the limitation of the Swirl Cutter's ability. Using the least aggressive treatment methods first, you may have to step up to the yellow "medium cutting" pad/stronger cutting abrasive for removal. We personally use 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound in this phase. The 3M has a cutting ability of 6.5 compared to the Swirl Cutter's 4.0 on a 10 scale. Once satisfied with the removal of your blemishes, you may notice some micro-marring and compound swirling (infliction of tiny scratches) with the use of this combo. At this time, you may now return to the orange pad/SC combo to remove swirl marks and restore clarity to the finish.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
First, it is important to determine whether you are trying to remove the ultra fine lines of swirl marks (looks like holograms and changes appearance when viewed at different angles in the sun) or more stubborn blemishes known as spider webbing or spider scratches. They can happen in a number of ways including the repetitive washing/drying process, wiping dust off the paint surface with a dry towel, or towels/applicators containing scratch-inducing materials.

The swirl mark lines will be tightly packed together with the clear coat appearing cloudy or hazy. In some instances, they can be inflicted by a mild rubbing compound on the rotary polisher when used to level the clear coat after wet sanding or during the removal the spider scratches.

In the case of spider scratches, these are more evident as they appear more pronounced with spaces of clarity between each line on the surface.

Here is a thread discussing and showing the differences between the 2 types of blemishes.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140348

In the case of our TC-8 Swirl Cutter, it is formulated to remove the ultra fine lines of these blemishes up to 2000-2500 grit scratches when used with a lightly misted orange pad on the Porter Cable buffer. You will notice the increasing clarity on the clearcoat moving at the rate of 1"/second at the surface at speed 5-6 on your PC.

If you're unable to remove the more stubborn scratches, you may have reached the limitation of the Swirl Cutter's ability. Using the least aggressive treatment methods first, you may have to step up to the yellow "medium cutting" pad/stronger cutting abrasive for removal. We personally use 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound in this phase. The 3M has a cutting ability of 6.5 compared to the Swirl Cutter's 4.0 on a 10 scale. Once satisfied with the removal of your blemishes, you may notice some micro-marring and compound swirling (infliction of tiny scratches) with the use of this combo. At this time, you may now return to the orange pad/SC combo to remove swirl marks and restore clarity to the finish.
Steve, on the ls1gto page with the red car, you first used the pc with 3m perfect it II rubbing compound, then you went over it after with the pc and swirl cutter to get the end results?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Scratchx is not a filler .. it is an abrasive that will remove light swirling and scratches when used by hand. It is a good choice if you have a couple of little spots to do.

If you plan on doing the whole car by hand, then Tropi-care TC-8 is a great choice for removing light swirls.. Their TC-3 is also a great choice for a sealant to finish it off with.

I would recommend picking up a DA from Tropi-care, along with some pads, their TC-8 and TC-3.

then:

wash
clay
!swirls
seal
wax
admire
Haha I Like Your Last Line
Old 05-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

I vote for Poorboy's scratch compounds. I use them and then Zaino.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Steve, on the ls1gto page with the red car, you first used the pc with 3m perfect it II rubbing compound, then you went over it after with the pc and swirl cutter to get the end results?
Yes. That is one method that we used for our detail demo day to show the attendees how to clean up the deck lid on this '98 Toyota Corolla. Using the PC equipped with a yellow pad/3M combo, this did take a little longer for results but was safer for exhibition purposes.

Along the left edge of the lid, we did use some 2000 wet/dry sandpaper previously to level off the cat scratches. A quicker method of recovery can be achieved with the orange pad and 3M on the rotary polisher. However, this is only recommended for experienced polisher users. To remove the compound swirling from the polisher, we would follow up with PC regimen.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't mess with anything by hand. I have over a dozen different products I tried to remove scratches and light swirls by hand, none of them worked like the Porter Cable and TropiCare I used this weekend. Such a time saver and impossible to screw up the finish. I think the Tropi Care TC-8 Swirl Cutter with a yellow pad will remove most paint defects. I had a few heavier scratches by my door handles that I absolutely could not buff out by hand and I let the PC buffer work on those areas for a few seconds and they came out. Some light buffing haze or "micro-marring" was left, but that came right out when I followed up with another pass of the buffer using an orange pad and TropiCare TC-3 Polish/Sealant. Should have bought this setup years ago....
Old 07-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

3m 39066 is AMAZING by hand. Will remove ALL TRACES of the SLIGHTEST haze. Here is a link to a very thorough review:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/show...ighlight=39066
Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Steve@tropicare.com I ordered the PC and got the 3m PI II RC. It took me the better part of a day using the RC and then the Swirl cutter. But I do have awsome looking paint. I have virtually no spider scratches. You might see one every stray scratch every 18 inches but it is so very much smoother than what it was. It would be worth your time to listen to what Steve has to say.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sick14SecV6
I vote for Poorboy's scratch compounds. I use them and then Zaino.
Poorboys SSR line up works pretty damn well.

I'm sure Tropi-care's TC-8 works just as good on lighter stuff as mentioned.

Quick Reply: Best product for swirl marks