Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best product for swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best product for swirl marks

What would be the best product to remove the swirl marks and all other fall out to make the paint look flat again?

Also by hand or machine?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Only by machine, and only if you're lucky at that... A PC with some cutting pads and aggressive cutting polishes...

If not, a Rotary Buffer with some aggressive compounds/cutting polishes done by an expert familiar with such a buffer...

If not, a nice wet sand of the car's exterior followed by all appropriate steps afterward by someone who has donw it before...

If that still doesn't do it , THEN there is no hope... Only a repaint.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Only by machine, and only if you're lucky at that... A PC with some cutting pads and aggressive cutting polishes...

If not, a Rotary Buffer with some aggressive compounds/cutting polishes done by an expert familiar with such a buffer...

If not, a nice wet sand of the car's exterior followed by all appropriate steps afterward by someone who has donw it before...

If that still doesn't do it , THEN there is no hope... Only a repaint.
I can use a machine, used to do it when I worked at a body shop, we used 3M products but id just rather use something off the shelf. I know Megiures has all those profeshional products but theres just so many to choose from. Its just light swirl marks from washing, car only has 35k on it and its black. I just want to get it back to when I first got the car with 5K miles on it
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

REALLY light swirl marks, then?

Maybe Scratch X?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

REALLY light swirl marks, then?

Maybe Scratch X?
Yea I have read about that. I will try it out and see if it does the job, or I will go to something abrasive becuase I want them gone and not just hidden. You can only see the swirl marks in the sun
Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 PM

I believe ScratchX only fills the scrathces in. Look at Tropi-Care.com, they are a sponser. They have nice packages including a PC with pads and and a swirl cutter. They were running a special not sure if it is still going on. PC is going to be the best way to go.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls199camaro
I believe ScratchX only fills the scrathces in. Look at Tropi-Care.com, they are a sponser. They have nice packages including a PC with pads and and a swirl cutter. They were running a special not sure if it is still going on. PC is going to be the best way to go.
Couldn't agree more. Most products will only fill it in and then within another few washes or waxes, the same marks are back. Using a product such as Tropi-Cares Swirl Cutter will actually eliminate them from the paint completely. I use their products exclusively in my detailing business and have for several years now. Can't go wrong w/ TC.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I agree, but I think he wants to see if he has any luck with something off the shelf and by hand...

I'll be honest, I used Scratch X once and it worked, but my swirls were VERY minor, invisible in the sun and BARELY visible in strong artificial light... For this, there's no point in firing up a PC.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He has a black car though, sooner or later he is going to need a PC. Just get it now and do it right the first time then you will have everything you need next year to do it again.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea black does suck. Ill look into the tropi care products. Would anyone recomend the Meguars Professional (mirror glaze) products. Id rather just go down to the parts store and pick somethig up
Old 05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Another vote for Tropi-Care. Their TC-8 Swirl Cutter does an excellent job. Finishes down to a very fine powder that doesn't tend to stick to everything.

-Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like Menzerna Intensive polish followed by Final Polish. It doesn't fill the scratches but actually smoothes and reduces them.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Merzerna IP and FP2 combo is great.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scratchx is not a filler .. it is an abrasive that will remove light swirling and scratches when used by hand. It is a good choice if you have a couple of little spots to do.

If you plan on doing the whole car by hand, then Tropi-care TC-8 is a great choice for removing light swirls.. Their TC-3 is also a great choice for a sealant to finish it off with.

I would recommend picking up a DA from Tropi-care, along with some pads, their TC-8 and TC-3.

then:

wash
clay
!swirls
seal
wax
admire
Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Launching!

another vote for menzerna and pc.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tropicare TC-8 did the trick for me. I used it with a PC and had excellent results.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Yea black does suck. Ill look into the tropi care products. Would anyone recomend the Meguars Professional (mirror glaze) products. Id rather just go down to the parts store and pick somethig up
A Meg's #83/80 (DACP/speed glaze) combo, from the Mirror Glaze line, works very well and is proven. My personal experience with Tropicare's swirl cutter is slightly favorable over #83 - it's more abrasive and more effective than #83 at cutting with a PC at 5+, but it has poor persistence (consumption of compound is pretty high!) over #83, and is easy to end up dry buffing if you're inexperienced.

Do try an #83/80 combo, and if you're pleased, "step up" to Tropicare to cut down on buffer time.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
A Meg's #83/80 (DACP/speed glaze) combo, from the Mirror Glaze line, works very well and is proven. My personal experience with Tropicare's swirl cutter is slightly favorable over #83 - it's more abrasive and more effective than #83 at cutting with a PC at 5+, but it has poor persistence (consumption of compound is pretty high!) over #83, and is easy to end up dry buffing if you're inexperienced.

Do try an #83/80 combo, and if you're pleased, "step up" to Tropicare to cut down on buffer time.
Meguiars no. 83/80/7 Show Car Glaze/sealant combo has done the job for me many times!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meguiars no. 83/80/7 Show Car Glaze/sealant combo has done the job for me many times!
what are you using as protection when you do that? nothing you listed there is a sealant..
Old 05-18-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gipraw
what are you using as protection when you do that? nothing you listed there is a sealant..
Well, I wrote the word "sealant" because I'll use any I have around... 20/21/NXT.

I actually want to shop soon for new sealants/waxes.

Quick Reply: Best product for swirl marks