Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any truth to this article about HID Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.ledgauges.com They're a sponsor, and they work. They have detailed instructions for putting your stuff on. Also, buy any of these guys that have done it before a beer (or two, or three, and so on) and they'll help you out cuz we're cool like that.

To set that article straight, here are some things you want to keep in mind.

1) You don't know who wrote the article. It could be some mindless shmuck who had a bad experience and doesn't know what he's talking about.
2) A lot of companies will tell you they are selling you an HID kit, but they're not. Most of the time it's a xenon kit with a blue-ish color (most Infiniti's have them) so salesman either don't know the difference or try to pass something off as HID when it isn't. Some idiot tried to sell me one, but I caught it first.
3) There are plenty of people on this site who have thrown in an HID kit and had it work with no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-24-2007 | 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1wannabe
www.ledgauges.com They're a sponsor, and they work. They have detailed instructions for putting your stuff on. Also, buy any of these guys that have done it before a beer (or two, or three, and so on) and they'll help you out cuz we're cool like that.

To set that article straight, here are some things you want to keep in mind.

1) You don't know who wrote the article. It could be some mindless shmuck who had a bad experience and doesn't know what he's talking about.
2) A lot of companies will tell you they are selling you an HID kit, but they're not. Most of the time it's a xenon kit with a blue-ish color (most Infiniti's have them) so salesman either don't know the difference or try to pass something off as HID when it isn't. Some idiot tried to sell me one, but I caught it first.
3) There are plenty of people on this site who have thrown in an HID kit and had it work with no problems whatsoever.
I don't doubt that they work, I just don't want to be running around blinding people and getting flashed (not THAT kind of flashing...I wouldn't mind that... ) all the time. It looks to me that by putting a HID kit into stock like housings, it's like putting the fat kit into the smallest chair...it will fit, but it's just not right. The lack of proper focusing by using the stock housing is what bugs me the most. My car is loud and I don't want to draw any more attention to it by blinding a cop and him pulling a U on me and then giving me a hard time over the rest of the car.
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Are we talking about the same article (Daniel Stern's)?
It doesn't matter who wrote the article when the information is correct (thats if we are talking about the same article... still don't have an answer on that one). Do some searching on technical sites and you'll see. (pun intended ) For instance.... look at all the links I provided earlier.

Yes and thats a nuisance.
The tint on the bulb makes the light whiter, but the lumens output is lower since the tint is blocking some of the light. In other words, they are dimmer.

It does physically work in that the bulb fits and accepts the same voltage that the car supplies, but its not an optimal solution. In some instances its a really bad solution. I've seen pics of horrible scattered beam patterns that send light everywhere in strange pulses/arcs.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-24-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Any truth to this article about HID Kits?