Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What does everyone use.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone use.......

To wash their car with????? I was having a really bad time using a wash mit, it was leaving alot of swirl marks. I plan on buffing the car tommorow to get the swirl marks out and I don't want it to happen again. TIA....Scott
Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: What does everyone use.......

I don't normally wash my car, but when I do, I use duragloss and a cotton cut up towel, and I was from top to bottom, doing the bottom and wheelwells last. I used to use those wash mits, but then I learned that's not so good on black cars. Ya live ya learn.

-Andy
Old 04-29-2003, 08:11 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used a low-buck foam sponge to wash my car when I wash it. It's pewter, and I haven't noticed anything bad happening from it. I normally spray detail the car on a regular basis with Eagle One Wet Wipe'n Shine and a few terry cloth towels.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Teching In

I use a big sponge to wash and 3m scratch and swirl afterwards(when the marks start showing too bad)-usually every third wash. Gotta love these black cars.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The sponge is probably putting those swirls in the clear coat...

Stay away from sponges...

I use a 100% cotton wash mit, then to dry I use an Absorber....stay away from the water blades and what not because they tend to pick up little particles, and when you go to swipe a surface, you gonna have a few fresh scratches....
Old 04-29-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

I use Meguires Gold Class car wash soap and cold water. The Gold Class really suds up nice to help carry away the dirt. I also use a Viking cotton wash mit. I have about 6 mits total and I wash them several times in my washer to make sure they're clean. I also wash from the top to the bottom and the rear bumper and wheels last. I don't notice many swirl marks from washing, but I do get some from drying the car. I use an Absorber synthetic chamois but it still finely scratches. I have some PRO swirl eliminator that works great by hand but flawlessly if used with a good orbital buffer. I have yet to try Zaino but I heard its great.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Teching In

I haven't gotten into true detailing of my car, I plan to use zaino, but right now I use something I picked up at target called zymol, is a cleaning wax, and helps fix/repel swirl marks. with it just water and 100% cotton towels. as far as the wheels go, I got turtlewax wheel wipes, and black majic tire wipes for the rubber.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even though it's a black car and I'm so picky about the way it looks, I still use a sponge and regular car wash to wash the car. Towels to dry the car. I'm also a newly converted Zaino user. I used to use Gold Class, but it wouldn't last one wash and it was a major PIA to reapply every time I washed the car.

Zaino holds up better and the Z5 works wonders on swirls. I haven't even used the Z2 yet, which is supposed to provide a better shine than the Z5.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the reply's. I use ZAINO but I ran out and I don't have the money to reorder any right know. The swirls were to bad for Z5. Where can I get Pro Swirl Remover????......Scott
Old 04-30-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a 100% cotton / cheneille wash mit I found at Auto Zone, and am pretty happy with it.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

I use a wool mit and a healthy mix of Mothers Car Wash soap and water. The more soap and water, the better is what I hear. The wool mits I pick up from Costco in a 3 pack. Very soft! Then I use two buckets. Yes, two buckets, and two mits. One bucket for the top half of the car, and the other bucket for below the belt line. Then I do the rims and and under sides last.

I use a California blade to dry and a 100% cotten towel for touch-ups. I'd rather use a leaf blower, but I haven't bought one yet.

I am also a Zaio user, but started using 3M swirl remover when any light scratches or swirl marks appear.

Jon
Old 04-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

I use a 100% cotton / cheneille wash mit I found at Auto Zone, and am pretty happy with it.
I agree with Andy, I use the same one.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Zaino car wash and cotton mitt..
Old 05-01-2003, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help!!! I went ahead and buffed the car with 3M swirl remover, then I buffed it with Liquid ebony, then 2 coats of 3M wax. I 've gotten the majority of the swrils out. I bought a new wash mit and a new absorber chamois. Thanks Again Scott
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

try 3ms trizak its great it will take out 2000 scatches also

Quick Reply: What does everyone use.......