looks like your seat has a ball holder t the bottom
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am I missing something?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Boyd have you ever thought about rings to go around the TA door speakers to match the vent rings you make? I am not sure how they would look but it would be worth a shot if they wouldnt be too hard to do. I would certainly be interested....and probably buy a set if they looked good.

BTW your vent rings are always a hit at shows....

Name:  DSC04007.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  98.3 KB

Last edited by 97ramsst; 10-07-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

love the black on black dark interior. im in the process of replacing my interior right now to make it black. i hate the tan crap. i am interested in the vent rings as well...where to get/make them? also the speaker rings would be a nice touch to complement the vent rings. i may look into doing this myself tomorrow.

my interior: sheet metal and a dash.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

sweet t/a interiors gave me ideas for my camaro
Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Restricted User

hey 97ramsst,love the pic,looks like it came straight out of a magazine!

about the speakers;
Ive worked on this idea before and its a good one ,but its not easy to stick a ring into these speakers ,the little one and the big one...unless you glue it...and that could mess it up for some of the clumsy ones !tha bass could give funny noises aswell if not properly glued. I have not tried it yet.
I sold my car and have no speakers to it try them on,maybe find a set on ebay.
Will let you know the results.
Boyd
Old 10-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Restricted User

working on these speaker rings with 97ramsst

wondering if there are any NEW mods done by you guys lately,as all seem to be done before.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

boyd could you please reply to my pm as soon as you can. im very interested in the vent and speaker rings. let me know!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow thread back from the dead...
anyone remember a member here by the name of Messenation or something like that?
he allways had an interior project goin on. Havnt seen him post in a LONG time
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
boyd could you please reply to my pm as soon as you can. im very interested in the vent and speaker rings. let me know!
You do realize once you glue that ring onto the speaker grill it's gonna be hell getting the grill off if you ever need to replace a speaker since you'll have to get the ring as close to the O.D. of the grill as possible for it to lok clean.

Just something to think about first.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
wow thread back from the dead...
anyone remember a member here by the name of Messenation or something like that?
he allways had an interior project goin on. Havnt seen him post in a LONG time
Yea, he had some pretty trick stuff but alot of people gave him **** about it & called it rice. some of his stuff was kinda on the verge but he also had some really cool stuff too.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
You do realize once you glue that ring onto the speaker grill it's gonna be hell getting the grill off if you ever need to replace a speaker since you'll have to get the ring as close to the O.D. of the grill as possible for it to lok clean.

Just something to think about first.
The way we (or I say Boyd) is planning to them is make the outside of the ring the the same size as the outside edge of the speaker grille. To install it you will have to sand off around the edge of the grille....then it will sit flush with the grille and outline the edge of it. This will require more work than than either glueing it around the edge (and having the problem you described) or simply glueing it on top of the grille (which would look like ***), but the result should look really clean and flush. And it will not effect taking the grille on or off at all.

I also had the idea of making a ring that would fit down on the inside lip of the cup holder...what do you guys think about that? It wouldnt be real noticable but should match up real well with the other pieces.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
The way we (or I say Boyd) is planning to them is make the outside of the ring the the same size as the outside edge of the speaker grille. To install it you will have to sand off around the edge of the grille....then it will sit flush with the grille and outline the edge of it. This will require more work than than either glueing it around the edge (and having the problem you described) or simply glueing it on top of the grille (which would look like ***), but the result should look really clean and flush. And it will not effect taking the grille on or off at all.

I also had the idea of making a ring that would fit down on the inside lip of the cup holder...what do you guys think about that? It wouldnt be real noticable but should match up real well with the other pieces.
How can it not effect removing the grill? You will no longer have the flex in the cover that is needed to get the holding tabs loose. Especially with it installed the way you speak of. there is no getting around it. You have to be able to pop the little tabs on the grills to remove the grill unless you want to remove the entire door panel to get to the speaker.

Not sayin it wouldn't look good, but it will make getting the grill off a PITA compared to removing it as it sits stock.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
How can it not effect removing the grill? You will no longer have the flex in the cover that is needed to get the holding tabs loose. Especially with it installed the way you speak of. there is no getting around it. You have to be able to pop the little tabs on the grills to remove the grill unless you want to remove the entire door panel to get to the speaker.

Not sayin it wouldn't look good, but it will make getting the grill off a PITA compared to removing it as it sits stock.
The speaker grille will still be flexible....you dont epoxy the ring around the entire edge, just in a few spots. So you can still flex the grille to get it out. Or worse case pop the ring off then take the grille off. Besides in reality how often do you need to take them off? If thats really a concern for someone then they may not want to put a set on. I have had 5 4th Gen TAs over the years and the only time I have ever taken one of these grilles off was the other day to measure it....now if it was the sail panel speaker that would be a different story!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Guess I just think about stuff like this. I have a complete audio system including door speakers/tweaters & components. So if I needed to replace one I need access. I can see it working if you only attach it in a few spots though. you could still work a flathead in there to get it off.

I opted to paint mine silver using automotive paint & clear. No pics yet. I have only done some light prep & bought the paint. But I do have the vent rings waiting to go in. They are replacing my silver painted vent louvers. Now it'll be solid black with the rings.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt be too concerned with taking the grill off. for the trouble i think you would wind up removing the door panel anyway, which isnt all that hard, to replace the speaker if you had to. the hardest part is installing the damn manual door lock.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If I was replacing speakers, I'd remove the door panels. I wouldn't bother with removing the grills.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222

notice the all black carpet not the stock gray crap!
Old car that is destroyed all the pictures I have so don't ask for more...sorry! The car was still a work in progress and never got to finish the door panels to match the rest of the car

This new car will have an even better looking interior within the next couple months.
How hard was it to modify your center console to allow for the Sirius receiver. I like that idea. I've been wanting to install a Sirius receiver in my T/A, but couldn't figure out where a good place would be. I've got one in my Suburban, but I had a million places to install it. Kind of get spoiled listing to music without commercials. It's a pain listening to commercials
Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wickedbusa
How hard was it to modify your center console to allow for the Sirius receiver. I like that idea. I've been wanting to install a Sirius receiver in my T/A, but couldn't figure out where a good place would be. I've got one in my Suburban, but I had a million places to install it. Kind of get spoiled listing to music without commercials. It's a pain listening to commercials
it looks like he just removed the smaller center console piece and cut out where the cigarette lighter and tcs (or convert switch) was. looks pretty easy.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97ramsst

The cup holder ring sounds like a nice complement to the rest of the interior (for people that have the other rings).

Quick Reply: all your custom trans am interior work in here