Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best wax for black car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I just picked up that new Turtle Wax Ice stuff and waxed my entire car (rims included)in no bull, about 30 minutes in the sun in Tampa, FL. I have seen better wax, but then again I didn't buff until my arm fell off. Although it did end up looking pretty damn good and was impressed with it. It worked extremely well on the rims too. I normally use Megiure's though.
Too bad the protection of that Ice crap isn't even going to last until the next rainfall.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

I've tried most of the stuff out there but to me none compare to Zaino products on a black car. Very easy to use and doesnt leave any residue afterwards. I wont use any other product EVER.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

what do you guys use to get rid of swirls???
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS14U2NV

I do 3-5 coats of Z-5 before applying 3-5 coats of Z-2.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just saying I didn't have to bust my hump to make the TA look nice. It lasts about two weeks and only spent 30 min. in the process. I'm currently in North Carolina and it gets really humid around here in the summer.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
i dont use dish soap every week HAHAHAHAHA. only like once every couple months.
once every couple of months is still too much. once is enough .. after that, you know what has been done to the car, and there is no need for repeated washings with dawn, or anything else like that.

Originally Posted by cookba
I dont even wash and wax my car every week. It gets so dirty here in SoCal with the dust and sand blowing around. I just hose it down and clean it with clean rags and water.
that is even harder on your paint than washing it with dish soap.

You should always use a good car wash soap and a nice lambswool wash mitt when washing/cleaning your vehicle .. you need the soap, and the lubricity is provides to allow you to remove the dirt and dust without causing scratches and swirling. rags and water are a prescription for bad things.

btw .. I am not trying to bust on you .. just offering friendly advice ..

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I'm just saying I didn't have to bust my hump to make the TA look nice. It lasts about two weeks and only spent 30 min. in the process. I'm currently in North Carolina and it gets really humid around here in the summer.
why not spend an additional 15 minutes or so and use something that will last more than a few days and actually provide some protection at the same time?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_LS1
I've tried most of the stuff out there but to me none compare to Zaino products on a black car. Very easy to use and doesnt leave any residue afterwards. I wont use any other product EVER.
No offense, but this doesn't sound very open-minded. Just to yank your chain a bit... please tell me "most of the stuff out there" that you've tried.

I'm not trying to discredit a Zaino finish, but I fail to see how nothing can compare to one. Any detailer with half a brain cell can easily replicate a Zaino finish in OTC Meg's wax. It won't last, but it certainly compares when it's fresh. Durability? Pick a good sealant (KSG, DGAW) and top it with a premium wax (Souveran, NB). Your touch-ups won't be any more frequent than a Zaino maintenance detail, and they'll be cheaper/faster to boot.

And if you're left with "residue" after buffing with the other "stuff", sounds like laziness or poor attention to detail.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Apologies to the OP! It's not the best wax for a black car, but it's very good-looking when it's fresh and easy to find - Meg's Gold Class. IIRC they have a liquid version, but shy away from it - paste wax innately has superior durability to its emulsified counterparts. As Gipraw mentioned however, regardless of its form, GC's durability will disappoint. It's a good starter wax at the least.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but COLLINITE 476 or 845 (!!!) IMO is the best wax on ANY colored car if durability is your primary concern. This directly leads to fewer applications of wax, which indirectly leads to less opportunities for further marring when washing/detailing your car. It finishes clean, but has relatively poor "depth" in comparison to boutique/super-premium waxes. This is a relative comparison that you'll be able to better quantify as you become familar with other waxes.

Anyway, take it from somebody who DDs their black car, and has no garage or overhang to park under!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

added zaino pics to the top post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS14U2NV
For removing the ultra fine lines from the repetitive washing and drying process, we recommend this combination:

TCPC-10

$161.99 + shipping

Plus this

$15.95

The combination of the TC-8 Swirl Cutter equipped with the orange foam pad on the Porter Cable buffer quickly removes these light surface blemishes. Now if you determine that these lines are deeper and more stubborn to remove, it may be necessary to switch to a yellow foam cutting pad and more aggressive product for removal.

Our season long special continues with this kit. Order it today and you can get the TC-8 Swirl Cutter for FREE.

Questions: steve@tropi-care.com or toll-free at (866)341-0050.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

My LT1 is older now and with 12 years experience and 115K, its seen some road.
Keeping my black paint in good shape has been interesting.
This is my 4th year with the car and I have tried several types of waxes.

Techwax, this, that, gel-wax's, etc.
And I must say, 'Mothers' wax is the best I have used.
Takes out alot of scratches and leaves an amazingly clear and beautiful finish.
I can see the pores in my skin in my reflection, and the wax is very protective... one good coat should last all summer.

Check out my Fquick, and these pics are from a crappy $120 Canon POS Camera.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
I say mothers! Everytime i have used Meguires it leaves a shadow film and its a pain in the a$$ to get off lol
yeah i see once i take meguires third off it leaves a few blur marks that you really need to buff out. i just take it off wen i wash it the next week.
but i only use the 3rd step.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the liquid ice sucks, just be sure to use the paste otherwise your car will look dull after about a week.

i usually use liquid ice paste as the first coat because it gets rid of swirls and black magic ultra gloss as a sealer
Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

ive tried a few different waxes and none has had the kind of durability I got out of the wax my old boss sold me back when i used to work at a detail shop. Its this wax made by a company called Malco, and I guess its not something you can buy in stores. Supposably it protects up to 8 months I believe it was, but im so obsessive I did about once month and my car never lost its shine. Now I dont know how this stuff ranks up to some of the products mentioned above, but it's always looked pretty freakin good to me. So since then Ive been stopping by my old job buying bottles since I quit!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

zaino all the way
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

the cloudy or shadows form the wax is from poor buffing, use a clean towel to do the buff with. I use megs 3step and it works great.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

id use zaino if i didnt have to freakin order it. i hate ordering and waiting for stuff like this. in my next deep clean on my car ima give the meguiers a try. i like the stuff the clay bar comes with..but it just dosnt complete the job..i need something with alil more kick!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep it in stock and you wont have to wait for it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I use zaino a lot and like it. Also, my other favorites are Adams and Wizards. Their regular waxes along with a lot of spray waxes in between coats.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Just keep it in stock and you wont have to wait for it.
thats true... i mite just have to order some soon. i wanna do a real good job on my car. before i throw the 35th stripes on.

Quick Reply: Best wax for black car?