Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Squeaks, noises, rattling and other nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten rid of all of those. I put some SFC's in which obviously helped, I then did 160sq/ft of sound deadening mat followed by 16sq/yds of sound deadening foam. That basicly took care of everything. Car feels much better and has a higher class feel to it now.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

!spare tire

Drive with passenger seat belt buckled at all times. Whether someone is sitting in the seat or not.

The only other noise I have is the t-tops when it's cold out. If it's 60+ or It's in the sun for about 15 minutes the noises go away.

My Koni's and new rear sway bar end links took away all the suspension noises for me. 3 1/2 turns from full soft on the front and full soft on the rear.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Launching!

All I have that annoys me is a rattle over bumps. I am pretty certain its the spare tire but I have been lazy to check it. Other than that, no noises other than the rumble of the exhaust and slight transmission noise, neither of which bother me.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Regarding the spare.... Seems a lot of people have noise coming from it. I never did. In fact, I never noticed any real noise until I put on the rear Koni's, PHB, and the heaterhose mod.

I attacked the spare right away. I don't want to risk driving without it, so I got some thin foam, some felt, and some old towel scraps and put something between everything that could possibly make noise, left the cover (with the instructions) off, and cranked the retaining nut down. I banged on it and didn't hear anything. And it's certainly not the sounds I'm hearing now, so it makes me wonder if it's as noisy as people think. Maybe we all suffer from something else and just don't know what it is.

Any thoughts on silencing the passenger seatbelt - other than buckling it?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a hatch squeak, I think it's coming from the tail lights...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by _JB_
I have a hatch squeak, I think it's coming from the tail lights...
Interesting.... How did you track it down to them? Any thoughts on how to correct it?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Restricted User

I only had two...one was the ever popular passenger seat belt buckle, which is also making nice scratch marks on the side of the seat. Love that. The second was a squeaky passenger seat. This one was the worst, because it only did it when there was someone in the seat! That sucks!! Anyway, slid the seat all the way back, and greased the tracks real good. Haven't heard a peep ever since. I'm going to add some sound deadening to the rear hatch area to try to get rid of some of the rear end and tire noise.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Launching!

not sure what they are called but the worst for me has got to be the little plastic pieces that move along when u put the car into reverse, drive, ect. very annoying
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car sounded like a old house when you got in and out of it and coming out of driveways. Changed the motor mounts and surprise it all went away so if you dont have them may want to try that there only $50.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

For the passenger Apillar rattle, I got rid of mine completely by shoving a piece of double-sided tape (top spraypainted black) in the corner where the bottom right corner of the windshield meets the apillar and the dash. That one was the worst except for the steering wheel rattle I get at around 1700 rpm after I did my UD Pulley and Poly motor mounts. Anyone found a fix for that one yet?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Regarding the spare.... Seems a lot of people have noise coming from it. I never did. In fact, I never noticed any real noise until I put on the rear Koni's, PHB, and the heaterhose mod.

I attacked the spare right away. I don't want to risk driving without it, so I got some thin foam, some felt, and some old towel scraps and put something between everything that could possibly make noise, left the cover (with the instructions) off, and cranked the retaining nut down. I banged on it and didn't hear anything. And it's certainly not the sounds I'm hearing now, so it makes me wonder if it's as noisy as people think. Maybe we all suffer from something else and just don't know what it is.

Any thoughts on silencing the passenger seatbelt - other than buckling it?

I took my spare and jack out to see if that was the squeek and it turned out to be my right rear shock (or one of the bushings around there, haven't completely tracked it down yet but I should by tomorrow!). I had already bought felt to wrap the spare in because it really sounded like rubber on metal but it wasn't the tire
Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subframe connectors stopped my t-tops from rattling.

Do not get a cutout under the rear seat or true duals dumped before the axles if you want your car sqeak and rattle free. I had a cutout dumped under the rear seat and I swear it caused a bunch of rattles in my console.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
I took my spare and jack out to see if that was the squeek and it turned out to be my right rear shock (or one of the bushings around there, haven't completely tracked it down yet but I should by tomorrow!). I had already bought felt to wrap the spare in because it really sounded like rubber on metal but it wasn't the tire
I haven't heard the passenger side a-pillar cover rattle since it warmed up. Have you had any interference problems with that tape in there? (since it seems the space present when cold would be occupied, then it tries to expand...)

Let us know what you find with the shock. We might be having similar issues.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Subframe connectors stopped my t-tops from rattling.

Do not get a cutout under the rear seat or true duals dumped before the axles if you want your car sqeak and rattle free. I had a cutout dumped under the rear seat and I swear it caused a bunch of rattles in my console.
I think SFCs created, or at least helped create, my noise issues. In a thread in the suspension forum called "Soft Ride" someone there mentioned that SFCs will increase NVH, while people here are saying they reduced them. Something seems odd.... lol
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Buy a full bushing kit
Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting.... How did you track it down to them? Any thoughts on how to correct it?
I was changing the bulbs and noticed they squeaked a lot along with the filler panel. Plus sometimes when I shut the hatch I hear the noise. I have not looked into it recently though
Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

I haven't heard the passenger side a-pillar cover rattle since it warmed up. Have you had any interference problems with that tape in there? (since it seems the space present when cold would be occupied, then it tries to expand...)

Let us know what you find with the shock. We might be having similar issues.

No interferance issues at all. I don't even think those plastic pieces would expand at all, not enough to be significant at least.

I'm going to try and tackel the shock problem today. The only other culprit would be bushings so we'll see!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think SFCs created, or at least helped create, my noise issues. In a thread in the suspension forum called "Soft Ride" someone there mentioned that SFCs will increase NVH, while people here are saying they reduced them. Something seems odd.... lol
Ive had 2 f-bodies, and after i had sfc's installed, the t-tops mainly started creeking and also a few other noices, this was in both cars.....But , i still like the stiffness that the sfc's give the car

Quick Reply: Squeaks, noises, rattling and other nonsense