Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Fikse FM5 Complete Make Over!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rims look great. how did you delete your fuel evac canister? what are you doing for a pcv setup? where did you get the little plastic plugs for the holes on your fenders?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

more pictures, more pictures!

any updates? nice to see what you can clean up with just a little TLC. i need to do all this to my wheels!

Jon
Old 06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lythropus
rims look great. how did you delete your fuel evac canister? what are you doing for a pcv setup? where did you get the little plastic plugs for the holes on your fenders?
I asked about the same thing its a fuel rail from speed INC and he put a filter on the line at the tank.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks VERY nice, and yes you need to polish them up alittle
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

That's looking awesome, man. How much did you get the wheels for? (if you don't mind me asking)

BTW (thread hijack), toofazt, is Simple Green really corrosive? I have polished aluminum wheels and I was told it is the best stuff to use because it is so friendly.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by reject
looks VERY nice, and yes you need to polish them up alittle
I'm working on it.

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
That's looking awesome, man. How much did you get the wheels for? (if you don't mind me asking)

BTW (thread hijack), toofazt, is Simple Green really corrosive? I have polished aluminum wheels and I was told it is the best stuff to use because it is so friendly.
I got them for $1100.00 shipped. We call this...right place, right time...luck as ****.

Simple green is really only corrosive when you use full strength. If you dillute it like the bottle says, you can make it so mild that you can wipe your baby's *** with it. Some people just buy the bottle and don't realize you can dillute the hell out of it and it will be much friendlier.

Originally Posted by Lythropus
I disconnected the line at the top of the fuel tank and installed a filter. I've just been too lazy to take the hard line off of the car. I have some Vette valve covers and they have the PCV routing in the rear. I ran a line bridging the two to a filter installed at the back of the intake until my Billet Valve covers come after the back order is over with. The plastic plugs can be bought at any reegular parts store.

Sorry no updates guys. I had to do some lawn work and pretty much ended up killing QUITE a few beers with a few buds over some laughs and bullshit stories. I'll start back on them tomorrow when I wake up.

Thanks again for the compliments guys. I appreciate it.

Bill - Thanks again for being a ******* Saint through the entire buying process. If I had to deal with anyone else but you, I'm sure I wouldn't have these wheels!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
Straight from their web site:
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Good info toofazt.

Well, I woke up this morning early thanks to my dog yapping at someone walking by my house so I decided to face the hang over head on.

Sounds of buffing wheels are not comforting to a headache.

Lip before:

Lip After:

I'm off to pound some more water and Excedrin and finish the rest of the wheels.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

lookin good!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i love those wheels,
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Damn, your gonna make me wanna get those! Keep up the great work
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn looks good
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

looking nicer and nicer
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well, yesterday I finished all of the lips. They all came out great. All of the scratches and little marks came out as did all of the crap that was caked on.

They're all shined up and ready to go to the powdercoater!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Nice cant wait to see them on the car.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice work. Might be cool if you just get the outer face of the wheel powdercoated, but leave the triangle areas between the spokes techni-polished. That would give you a super unique set of custom Fikse wheels, and they would attract the eye even more.

Check out these Forgelines for an example:
http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/ForgelineSO3PDE-001.jpg

Something to consider
Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow those look great. Nice work.

What a complete turn around!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What kind of buffer and what supplies are you using to polish the lips?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Nice work. Might be cool if you just get the outer face of the wheel powdercoated, but leave the triangle areas between the spokes techni-polished. That would give you a super unique set of custom Fikse wheels, and they would attract the eye even more.

Check out these Forgelines for an example:
http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/ForgelineSO3PDE-001.jpg

Something to consider
I was actually thinking about that! I can't do it though. The edges have a few marks in them that I need to cover up. Not to mention the clearcoat has been taken off of them and I would need to polish right next to/on the powdercoat to get the small lines shining after some driving. I just decided to go all black on the centers. Hell of an idea though. Those Forgelines look nice.

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
What kind of buffer and what supplies are you using to polish the lips?
I used a buffing wheel and rouge that I found at Lowes. I've been using it for a few years now. They work great and give a better shine than any kind of Mothers Polish/Billet Polish/Wenol/Never Dull. To give you an idea, if I hit the polished lip with my buffer and rouge for a few minutes and then hit it with Mothers Billet ($13.00 a can) it actually will dull my finish.

I'll see if I can get you pictures of what I use. If you don't have a Lowes where you are, I could always send you a little care package with the correct stuff in it. I won't charge you jack **** for my efforts. You pay shipping and the cost of the stuff and I'll put all reciepts in the box t prove you aren't paying a penny more than it costs me.

If you have a Lowes near you, let me know and I'll get you pictures/part numbers of what you need so you can pick some up yourself.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I'm really pleased so far. The only downside is the time it will take for the powdercoater to get them back to me. I'm looking at 2 weeks... damn it.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Nice work man and I agree with you on the diluting of simple green. If you spray it on straight from the bottle your looking for trouble but when i used it to degrease my engine bay and clean it up I used 1/3 simple green and 2/3 water and mixed it and it worked great. Just ened to make sure you get all the simple green off and dont let it sit for too long. Keep us updated though as your work looks impeccable!

Quick Reply: Fikse FM5 Complete Make Over!