Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Fikse FM5 Complete Make Over!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet

If you have a Lowes near you, let me know and I'll get you pictures/part numbers of what you need so you can pick some up yourself.
I'd like to know aswell Those rims look unbelievable compared to what they came from. great job!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

I used a buffing wheel and rouge that I found at Lowes. I've been using it for a few years now. They work great and give a better shine than any kind of Mothers Polish/Billet Polish/Wenol/Never Dull. To give you an idea, if I hit the polished lip with my buffer and rouge for a few minutes and then hit it with Mothers Billet ($13.00 a can) it actually will dull my finish.

I'll see if I can get you pictures of what I use. If you don't have a Lowes where you are, I could always send you a little care package with the correct stuff in it. I won't charge you jack **** for my efforts. You pay shipping and the cost of the stuff and I'll put all reciepts in the box t prove you aren't paying a penny more than it costs me.

If you have a Lowes near you, let me know and I'll get you pictures/part numbers of what you need so you can pick some up yourself.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I'm really pleased so far. The only downside is the time it will take for the powdercoater to get them back to me. I'm looking at 2 weeks... damn it.

I'll take that list from Lowes if you don't mind.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Here you go guys. I've got part numbers as well on the reciept so you can't go wrong.

Here is the polish:

Here is the buffing wheel. GET THE ORANGE ONE...NOT THE WHITE ONE!

Here is the reciept with item #'s. See, I like you ******* so much I went out and bought more just so I can give you guys some clean and clear pictures.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks !!!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet
Here you go guys. I've got part numbers as well on the reciept so you can't go wrong.

Here is the polish:

Here is the buffing wheel. GET THE ORANGE ONE...NOT THE WHITE ONE!

Here is the reciept with item #'s. See, I like you ******* so much I went out and bought more just so I can give you guys some clean and clear pictures.

Hope this helps.
Hey Dustin,

Looking better all the time.

What did you mount the buffing wheel to, a drill? You just apply the polish right to the buffing wheel then wipe off the rims when done?

You should hire yourself out to refinish rims.

Later,

Bill
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man, just went out and bought everything today. Will be put into use tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.
Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
What did you mount the buffing wheel to, a drill? You just apply the polish right to the buffing wheel then wipe off the rims when done?

Bill

You have to buy a drill chuck arbor, only 3.27 at lowes.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great. I can't wait to see what they look like at the end. I like Tony's suggestion, too. Not too many people will have that look.

FYI, that gold / bronze coating on the NASXXX bolts was a corrosion preventative. They're over the counter from aircraft supply, if you want new ones.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
Hey Dustin,

Looking better all the time.

You should hire yourself out to refinish rims.

Later,

Bill
Yep, I put it straight into the buffing wheel from the solid rouge stick (lightly) and then buff the hell out of the wheel until the residue is gone and I can see my ugly mug in the reflection. Easy as pie...just takes patience.

I'm only doing this because they are mine. If the wheels belonged to anyone else besides me...I wouldn't be motivated enough.

Originally Posted by kerryt1
looks great. I can't wait to see what they look like at the end. I like Tony's suggestion, too. Not too many people will have that look.

FYI, that gold / bronze coating on the NASXXX bolts was a corrosion preventative. They're over the counter from aircraft supply, if you want new ones.
Thanks for looking out. I know they had the coating on them. They have been retorqued and I applied blue loc-tite to each one so they aren't going anywhere. I made the decision to powdercoat over them because if I ever have to have the wheel apart, the powdercoating will be ruined anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by RAIDER
thanks man, just went out and bought everything today. Will be put into use tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

You have to buy a drill chuck arbor, only 3.27 at lowes.
I want to see pictures of before and after if you don't mind. It's alright to hi-jack my thread. I don't mind...as long as it's shiny. I'm like a fish
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
FormerVendor

Man... I really want those rims! Do the rims originally have a clear coating over the polished aluminum? I'm as anxious to see the finished results as you are Thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by toofazt
Man... I really want those rims! Do the rims originally have a clear coating over the polished aluminum? I'm as anxious to see the finished results as you are Thanks

Fikse's "Technipolished" wheels have a satin/matte finish due to the cnc process and then are clear coated before shipping to protect the billet aluminum and to keep you from having to polish them (besides the lip). The lip, however, is actually straight polished and does not have a protective coating.

Yeah, I can't wait. I'll be dropping the wheels off later today to the powdercoater. We had a long talk yesterday and I was assured they would be perfect when I got them back. I also "assured" him that if they were less than perfect...we are going to have problems.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What did you do to the inner barrel of the wheel. Did you polish that or just clean it up? I have one of my CCW wheels apart right now. I have a hook up at a big powdercoating shop in town so I'm thinking of powdercoating the inner barrel black and the centers black as well, then polishing the outerlip.

I'm going to try out the supplies you listed in this thread to see if I can polish the lip nicely. If I can't get them as nice as yours came out then I'm just going to have the lips chromed. Now that the wheels are apart the outer lips are not a very big piece so it shouldn't be too expensive to chrome them.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 07-03-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

All I did was spray the inner barrels with simple green and scrub the **** out of them with a light (000) steel wool until they were clean. Then I washed them really well and dried them. No polishing and no sanding required.

***Side note***

This must be a popular topic. Over the past week, I've recieved over 20 pm's.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

any updates ?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xxcoolrollinxx
any updates ?
Been waiting for the powdercoater. He pissed me off and blew the quoted time estimate out of the water. I decided to take them back from him and send them off to a guy's shop I've done a lot of business with in South GA.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

This is a great thread. The wheels look great, and I'll probably be stopping by a Lowes sometime soon!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

wow man i cant wait to see what they look like when there done
Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got some pics when them on the car yet?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

I just want to thank you for your effort on posting pictures of the items you bought.

Some people would have not even shared the secret

And post pictures of the final product
Old 08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Nice work. Might be cool if you just get the outer face of the wheel powdercoated, but leave the triangle areas between the spokes techni-polished. That would give you a super unique set of custom Fikse wheels, and they would attract the eye even more.

Check out these Forgelines for an example:
http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/ForgelineSO3PDE-001.jpg

Something to consider
I don't think he's gotta worry about having unique FM5s. I've only seen 4 or 5 on here counting mine.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

SS DNA - No problem on sharing the "secrets". I have gone to lengths of inviting some locals over who were interested in the polishing of different stuff on my car for a little school yard session because they wanted to learn. I kinda feel bad because I've been sent PM's asking about the process and extra steps because they bought what I bought and didn't get the same results. Believe me, I KNOW how that is. I've even offered to make a video to show my technique.

I've also taught people to buff cars out, complete details and all kinds of stuff that I learned the hard way by means of trial and error. I just hate to see people mess up paint with the wrong methods, not get good results by means of my direction and so on.

I've even shared my motor build "secrets" with a few locals and they built their motors the same way and got same results. I got my 408 and now 4-5 people in Jax basically have my exact setup. I'm all about even competition of the educated, LoL.

**Side note, the powdercoater said the wheels would be done two days ago and now he is saying Tuesday because I didn't know it, but they have today and Monday off. It's a small shop and family run so I can understand...but they're playing with my emotions now! LoL, just a few more days guys!**

Quick Reply: Fikse FM5 Complete Make Over!