Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing the rear hatch, f-body

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing the rear hatch, f-body

Search doesn't work but I did check the title of every thread in this section.

This question is in regards to a rear hatch swap.

I see 4 bolts holding on my rear (01 Formula) hatch. I checked and they are 13 mm.

As for the struts, I see the connection point on the hatch and the connection point on the body. The point on the body appears to be the easiest to get to, but what size Torx bit is required (its larger than what is in my arsenal)? Is this the best method/point to remove from (the point where the strut connects to the body)?

For the connection to the defroster, is it as simple as it looks...just disconnect the loom/connector to the window or body?

In summary:
1. What size Torx bit to disconnect the rear hatch strut from the body? (or is it easier to disconnect the strut from hatch itself)?
2. How to disconnect the wire loom from the defroster?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know about replacing the rear hatch glass if anyone has had that done. If the glass it self will just come out with the hatch still in the car? I know on a 3rd gen the glass basically is the hatch. The 4th gen almost looks like it has a frame that it sets in.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM
SCRWS6

easier to just use a flat head screwdriver and unclip the struts from the hatch(as long as you have something to hold it up till your finished) if I remember correctly the defrost is as easy as it looks....
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Search doesn't work but I did check the title of every thread in this section.

This question is in regards to a rear hatch swap.

I see 4 bolts holding on my rear (01 Formula) hatch. I checked and they are 13 mm.

As for the struts, I see the connection point on the hatch and the connection point on the body. The point on the body appears to be the easiest to get to, but what size Torx bit is required (its larger than what is in my arsenal)? Is this the best method/point to remove from (the point where the strut connects to the body)?

For the connection to the defroster, is it as simple as it looks...just disconnect the loom/connector to the window or body?

In summary:
1. What size Torx bit to disconnect the rear hatch strut from the body? (or is it easier to disconnect the strut from hatch itself)?
2. How to disconnect the wire loom from the defroster?

Thanks in advance for your help.
1. The torx is a T47. A T45 will fit, but its a little loose. A T50 will fit but its a little tight.
2. The connector is a typical stlye push on with a clip, but I think you have to drop the headliner to unhook it(I may be wrong though).

A. Yeah, it is a frame that runs around the whole window.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
easier to just use a flat head screwdriver and unclip the struts from the hatch(as long as you have something to hold it up till your finished) if I remember correctly the defrost is as easy as it looks....
Yeah I agree. Unless you are changing the shock, just unclip it.

Quick Reply: Removing the rear hatch, f-body