Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Products Should I use to Freshen up my [old] Black Paint?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Products Should I use to Freshen up my [old] Black Paint?!

I know there are several topics regarding detailing black paint, but I feel my situation is slightly unique. My car is a 1992 Z28 with original black Van Nuys paint (which in itself is a miracle). Compared to practically every black thirdgen it looks immaculate, but it has its imperfections and mild swirl marks from 15 years and 31,000 miles.

Anyway, I dont have a porter cable, nor do i intend to use one for this project...but i would like to do a few more steps that I have done in order to really freshen up this paint and bring out 100% of its beauty. So this means any product I will use, must be applied by hand. Im looking for suggestions on what products to use. I plan on washing, claying, washing...and then im open to suggestions as to what to use next.... I will probably finish it all up with my Moose Wax (a high end carnuba, which BTW is AWESOME on black paint).

Heres what we're working with:

By no means bad paint...in fact from even 5 feet away it looks immaculate, but i would still like to [gently] freshen it up a bit.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

couple of things..

- why not use a PC? preference, or cost?

- no need to wash again after the claying. you are just adding another step with the potential to introduce defects into your finish.

there are several products that are mildy effective at removing swirls when used by hand.. all of them require a lot of work ..

Tropi-care TC-8

Meg's #2

Menzerna IP .. (I have used this by hand on a very small spots a couple of times .. can't imagine trying it on a whole car)

doing an entire black car by hand will be difficult .. you may have a hard time getting the car to look even. I would suggest adding a step in the process that included a product with some filling/concealing properties (Like Meg's #9), to make the finished product look more even.

best bet would be to invest in a PC, and get the finish exactly where you want it, or find someone local that would be willing to remove the swirls for you, then let you take over and do the rest.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Yea I guess it is alittle bit of the cost. I'm a college student trying to save up for the upcoming school year, a trip to colorado, and a down payment on a ninja 500 and i guess in the grand scheme of things a PC ranks pretty far down there. Also, like i said, i'm a bit weary of this old van nuys paint and I'm pretty scared that I'd mess something up...and I would HATE to see what the cost of a new quality black paint job on my car would be.

anyway, any more suggestions on what products to use [by hand] after claying??
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I just did my black car.

I went from looking like this to looking like this. I'll get more pics if it ever stops threatening rain here...

I used a Porter Cable. I don't see how you could get great results without one, to be honest. I used the TropiCare system... 3M compound / yellow pad, TC-8 / orange pad, TC-3 / blue pad. It's not 100% swirl free, but for a car that used to be a daily driver, ~64k miles, it looks darn good. I'm very pleased with the results.

I know you're wanting to save money... I love to also... but that Porter Cable is a great machine. It makes this stuff so easy, it'll save your arm. I was concerned it would damage my paint, and I'd never used one before... after I got used to it, it was very easy and I didn't see any damage at all.

I also bought a Makita rotary buffer (to work on a freshly painted hood), and that sucker can flat out burn some paint (I didn't burn, but I did experience a few very light spots of weirdness - that the Porter Cable took out completely). That Makita can be dangerous if not used carefully. The PC is nothing like that.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

I'm tellin ya. For the money its hard to beat "DUPONT TEFLON WAX". Try it , you have very little to lose & the product WILL surprise the hell out of you .
Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Prima Amigo.

Did my daily driver (01 grand am gt) with it and Rejex last week.
The car is always outside. Hell...the last brake pad change was done in the street.
Came out much better than expected. The bad spots are there no matter what, my goal was to keep it from getting worse.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMack
Yea I guess it is alittle bit of the cost. I'm a college student trying to save up for the upcoming school year, a trip to colorado, and a down payment on a ninja 500 and i guess in the grand scheme of things a PC ranks pretty far down there. Also, like i said, i'm a bit weary of this old van nuys paint and I'm pretty scared that I'd mess something up...and I would HATE to see what the cost of a new quality black paint job on my car would be.

anyway, any more suggestions on what products to use [by hand] after claying??
if you are doing this by hand, I would use this process:

- Wash using the two bucket method.
- Dry using water sheeting process and a Waffle Weave MF
- Clay
- Meg's scratchX for any trouble spots
- Tropicare TC-8 by hand
- Tropicare TC-3 by hand
- Top with Tropicare Tc-2, 12 hours or longer after the TC-3

http://www.tropi-care.com

Quick Reply: What Products Should I use to Freshen up my [old] Black Paint?!