Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How Do You Change Leather Seat Covering Yourself? Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got 2 things going against you.
1-The leather cover the dealer gave you has been sitting on a shelf in a box for 8 years or so. Thus the wrinkles will take time too settle out. The yellowing is also age related from storage.(look at what happens to old white sneakers you haven'y used in your closet for a long time).
2-Your passenger seat is nice and tight because its been on that foam for 8 years or so and has setttled in like a second skin. Also I bet your passenger seat is hardly used whereas your drivers seat has to be used everytime you use the car.
My suggestion is to make sure the plastic tabs are all tight and wait it out. The wrinkles will come out especially if left in the sun abit. But also realize that you have a new cover on the old foam that has been used since the car was new and will never be as tight as the original one. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggoat!!!
I've gotten some pictures of my poor quality GM replacement leather which shows the "looseness" and wrinkly nature of the leather. Sorry for the poor pics; all I had was a camera phone. I've included pics of the passenger's seat to show the difference in the apparent thickness of the leather (the passenger's seat is smooth and tight and doesn't wrinkle like an old nipple when you push your finger into it).

This is factory GM replacement leather. Is everybody SURE that there is NO WAY to adjust this leather cover to make it fit better/tighter?
^Holy crap. That suck, man! I have white leather seats that are getting quite worn. Wish there was someting I could do, but everyone's that I've seen have wrinkles and are not skin tight like stock...

So, if a person wants perfect, stock seats, what do they do? Is there nothing that can be done?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfgang427
You got 2 things going against you.
1-The leather cover the dealer gave you has been sitting on a shelf in a box for 8 years or so. Thus the wrinkles will take time too settle out. The yellowing is also age related from storage.(look at what happens to old white sneakers you haven'y used in your closet for a long time).
2-Your passenger seat is nice and tight because its been on that foam for 8 years or so and has setttled in like a second skin. Also I bet your passenger seat is hardly used whereas your drivers seat has to be used everytime you use the car.
My suggestion is to make sure the plastic tabs are all tight and wait it out. The wrinkles will come out especially if left in the sun abit. But also realize that you have a new cover on the old foam that has been used since the car was new and will never be as tight as the original one. Good luck.

1) The leather cover is not 8 years old. GM has changed suppliers for the 30th replacement leather several times since 1998; this was not old stock. If it were old stock from 8 years ago, it would be the same thickness as the original seats and wouldn't exhibit the small wrinkles when pushed in. These wrinkles would appear whether the leather was installed on a seat or not.
2) The car only has 1900 miles. I'd say the driver's seat had about twice as much use as the passenger's. The passenger seat looked exactly as it does right now when it was new 8 years ago. The leather required no time to settle in as a second skin. It was never loose or wrinkly.

The new leather is THINNER than the original. It has nothing to do with storage or being on an old foam seat. You can lift up the new leather and pinch it between your fingers. You can NOT do this with the original leather; nor could you EVER do this even when new. Expecting new leather to have to form itself and work wrinkles out is normal, however this is beyond those "normal" expectations. The car actually did sit outside in the hot Louisiana sun for a couple months before I put it back in storage. The condition of the leather has not changed; especially not the wrinkly loose seat back lumbar area.

Quick Reply: How Do You Change Leather Seat Covering Yourself? Difficult?