Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Finalizing the GTO :: A Few Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 3 piece spoiler is killer...id rather rather save up and do what i really want instead of spending less money and wanting to change it down the line
Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I know what you mean Josh about spending the $ on the wheels. Those Simmons cost me about the same as your CCWs. Your ride looks sweet and whatever you decide it will look good.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the wheel centers would look good painted silver, but as far as the spoiler, I prefer it removed and the holes filled.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the Monaro nose looks better on every color. Mostly because the stock GTO nose looks kinda like the typical cheap Pontiac like a Grand Am/Prix/etc... and reminds me of a rental car.

The one you posted a link to is boring because of the factory wheels and it looks weird without a spoiler. Those two wrong things grab my eye too much, so I pay less attention to the nose. Your GTO has badass wheels on it, and I also pay less attention to the nose.

Now, put the stock wheels on and remove the spoiler and park it next to this and your car would be boring/weird too

For the money, the nose swap is the best change you can make. Those spoilers are a waste of time to me, the factory one isn't ugly by any means. I do like those Euro tail lights though, wish they had black borders instead of being all red like that.

Also, it looks much smoother with the license plate recess filled and smoothed:

Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your car is pretty awesome the way it is. I think small spoiler would look better if you go that route. Im not a huge fan of the two tone, Ive only seen a few cars it looks good on. The side markers where the gto emblems are dont look bad.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Personally, I like no spoiler or the little lip spoiler. I think the Monaro grille looks really funky ... if the standard one looks too "Pontiac," the Monaro looks "Oldsmobile" or something like that - much worse. Two tone is horrible. Your wheels look great, don't modify them.

I think you're too restless with your car. It's beautiful as is. Resist the itch, leave it alone, and enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kevinclark09
i'd have to see the two tone idea, but i like the spoiler on that blue gto above and i think it would look awesome on your car
X2
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

leave it alone
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

If the car was mine I would put the small spoiler on, and chrome trim around the grills and be done. I would also just put a clear powedercoat on the center of the wheels, CCW's are too expensive to paint imo plus I think polished looks better on spice red. What ever you I'm sure the cars gonna look good, probly the cleanest GTO I've seen.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Monaro nose at all

Once again, change for the sake of change is not always better...

On a side note, how close is your color to the 04 pulse red?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

I'd take this:

...over this:

...anyday. The Monaro front looks more generic or actually like a rice design body kit where as the stateside GTO looks much more refined IMHO
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

keep it as is but add the VX tails...look SOO much better IMO

i dont care for the monaro stuff, and it'd look with the spoiler deleted
Old 07-28-2007, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
The Monaro front looks more generic or actually like a rice design body kit where as the stateside GTO looks much more refined IMHO
The Pontiac nose isn't "generic"? Have you not seen any Pontiacs built in the last 10 years or what? lol

It is easy to be infatuated with his nice CCW wheels. Put the same wheels on both cars and you might think differently. Hell, those wheels could make a primered shitbox look like a swimsuit model

Ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw a bone stock GTO and thought "oh my God that is badass looking!". Probably never. Now add some CCW's and then you have Josh's car and you drool over it like we all do.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I'd say JHP and call it a day. That spoiler is just a subtle touch, which would be perfect, since your car already looks amazing.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The Pontiac nose isn't "generic"? Have you not seen any Pontiacs built in the last 10 years or what? lol
Actually, that's my point... If it looks like a SPECIFIC brand (Pontiac) then it is not "generic" (aka: Monaro looks like any brand ricer's body kit you see in the import tuner pages)...

We're just talking about different things. You're saying it looks like every other PONTIAC, which is true. I say that makes it NOT look like any other brand and feel the Monaro front looks more "generic" in the import sense...

Anyways, I'm hopefully picking up one today if not sometime this week so I'll get a more solid opinion after living with it
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, that's my point... If it looks like a SPECIFIC brand (Pontiac) then it is not "generic" (aka: Monaro looks like any brand ricer's body kit you see in the import tuner pages)...

We're just talking about different things. You're saying it looks like every other PONTIAC, which is true. I say that makes it NOT look like any other brand and feel the Monaro front looks more "generic" in the import sense...

Anyways, I'm hopefully picking up one today if not sometime this week so I'll get a more solid opinion after living with it
what color?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. The rounded lines of the Pontiac bumper (i.e. foglights, grill opening, etc.) match the rest of the car (i.e. headlights, body, hood nostrils) MUUUUCH better, where as the Monaro bumper has all kinds of strait lines and sharp angles.

Josh, in all honesty, I would get the smaller of the two lip wings, paint your wheel centers silver and get the VX tails, chew on that for a while, then go from there.

Whatever you do I'm sure I'll like it anyways since our tastes are so similiar
Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I say the lip spoiler, and that's it. I mean, you're already doing the wheels so there is no question there.
If you were keeping your wheels completely shiny, I would say do the chrome trimmed grilles, but now that you're not, I wouldn't. (wtf? lol.)
Back to the lip spoiler. I look at it this way. You're front splitter is tiny! So put a tiny spoiler on it. I think it would look GREAT!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

This is the second time I had to type this so it's fairly brief:

I don't have time to read all the responses, but here is my .02
You have always had clean, simple cars and that should not change now.

The stock spoiler works well on the GTO. The GTO has a large rear window and C pillar; I believe this is what makes it look like an oversized Cavalier. The stock spoiler helps distract from the size of the car, becuase it is on top of the decklid. This balances out the car and makes the rear look more sporting. The ducktail spoiler elongates the car, but not enough to offset the roof size. I do like the HSV spoiler in it's general design; it adds enough length to the car to make it much more sporty and aggressive. Unfortunately, overall it looks too gaudy; it would look much more at home on a car with a full bodykit.
The Holden taillights make the car look like an older Mercedes or Infiniti and not in a good way. The stock taillights give this otherwise 'subdued' car some much needed sport flare.
I think the stainless inserts would look great on the rear bumper, as it would accent the rear bumper, and match the grilles you should chrome, as well as the lip of the wheels. Becuase this would add the GTO name to another part of you car, it would also give you the opportunity to get rid of the side emblems- you wouldn't want to 'advertise' what your car is too much, if you get my drift. That's where the side repeaters come into play; they will make the car look cleaner (inserts or not).

NO:
two-tone paint
Holden taillights
aftermarket spoiler

YES:
chrome grilles
stainless bumper inserts
side repeater lights
Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your car looks great I'd leave it. Nice job. IMHO