Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Side molding removal write-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just used a old credit card and my hands man they hurt afterwords

Last edited by therobman; 07-31-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CA writeup = go outside on hot day + pull off moldings
Old 07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gonna have to do this to my car when i get back. Tell ya what if my car was here the moldings would probably just fall off...F*** Iraq.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Goo Gone works great for getting the residue off. My only problem is that the passanger side came off perfect, no flaws nothing, the driver side on the other hand pissed me off. It left the outline of the side molding in the clear, I tried to use the scratch X and wax after I put a ton of goo gone on it. So Im trying to figure out if I wet sand it or clay bar it that those outlines should go away, its like when I peeled it that the paint did kinda like a buble up. Any advice???

By the way, after doing this, I love the look soooo soooo much. Its worth it, just wish the one side would of turned out better.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Launching!

i just pulled up on the molding and peeled it off then used my thumb and finger to get the rest off. ran over it with goo gone and then waxed that area. whole project took like 25 mins to do everything.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default De-badging...

I did this to my Firebird, making it the 4th vehicle I've done it to. My tips from experience, Wear leather gloves when running the fishing line through and use a sawing motion. Thuroughly wash your car first, use a toothbrush or a paint brush to wash in the little space between the trim piece and the paint. You don't need to apply ANY bug/tar remover or the like until you have the glue off...mostly off. Wear Latex (or similar) gloves to roll the glue off while heating it with the wife's or GF's blowdrier (just don't let your wife know your using your GF's blowdrier "Goo Gone Spray-on Gel" works great after most of the glue is rolled off. Let it sit and use a washcloth to scrub the little bits off. Use 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper and running water to get any discoloration off and finish with rubbing compound and waxxing. (My Fiance just smacked my shoulder for the above joke!) Hope this saves you some $$ from a body shop! Good luck! Swat
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Launching!

smokin00ws6, the line you are seeing on the one side is just this. The previous owner for one reason or another had that side repainted like mine with the molding on the car, it had not been wash good before painting and there was dirt in the tiny cracks of the molding and after you pulled it off, you were left with a line of cleared over dirt. Mine has the same problem and I think I gonna take mine to a body shop. I don't wanna risk damaging my paint. One paint guy told me that if that layer of clear got pealed from me sanding it, it would peal all the way down the door. I'm not gonna chance it myself, but thats up to you. I hope that explains the left over lines. Its not glue or adhesive, its cleared over dirt. Sorry man.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

You are exactly right. As a matter of fact, that is 100% what my friend that owns a body shop told me. He said the easiest fix is to wet sand and then buff because, obviously, the wet sanding will remove the debris and the edge left by the clear around the molding (if the door has been repainted), and the buffing will bring back your shine. HTH
Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

nice writeup. i got lucky and all the glue pulled right off with the molding. all i had to use was my hands.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
smokin00ws6, the line you are seeing on the one side is just this. The previous owner for one reason or another had that side repainted like mine with the molding on the car, it had not been wash good before painting and there was dirt in the tiny cracks of the molding and after you pulled it off, you were left with a line of cleared over dirt. Mine has the same problem and I think I gonna take mine to a body shop. I don't wanna risk damaging my paint. One paint guy told me that if that layer of clear got pealed from me sanding it, it would peal all the way down the door. I'm not gonna chance it myself, but thats up to you. I hope that explains the left over lines. Its not glue or adhesive, its cleared over dirt. Sorry man.
Man that sucks, but I doubt it was ever re painted, I didnt take as much time on the driver side, kinda lifted it off too fast the more I think about it. I think that I am going to try to wet sand the parts. What gritt should I get??? THanks for the help, I really appreciate your input. It all makes sense. Ill give it a try.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by A-RoN'sZ
I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow w/ the adhesive and tar remover and I'll let ya know. If not I'm gonna carry it to a friend's body shop and see if they can wet sand and buff it out, which should be pretty cheap.
Acrysol and some elbow grease, It will come off Just did mine this weekend
Old 08-05-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Just did mine. Some floss and paper towel, took like 15 min if that. As someone said before I just sawed in about 3 inches and pulled it off on a 90. Only glue left was the 3 inches. Used some goo gone, didn't even let it soak and wraped my fingers in paper towel and it just rubbed off like nothing. Man its amazing all the dirt and crap stuck in there after 9 years haha. Worth while to me. Look even better droped on black evos tho lol.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did mine today, went flawless except there are 11 yr old dirty lines above and below where the molding was on the doors. They aren't noticeable but I know they are there and I don't want to damage the paint. Any way to get those lines gone for good?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a 2 year old thread, but I was actually wondering if you'd be able to see a line from the car sitting outside in the sun. I dunno how the car was taken care of before me, but if possible could the molding be put back on?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWake
Did mine today, went flawless except there are 11 yr old dirty lines above and below where the molding was on the doors. They aren't noticeable but I know they are there and I don't want to damage the paint. Any way to get those lines gone for good?
I used a clay bar to remove my lines, worked pretty good.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

yeah...mine had the black lines too...just scrub them out with a clay bar... a lot of elbow greese and time
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I took off my side molding last year, but I decided to take my trans am emblems off just a couple days ago. The first time it took me a while to get the job done this time it literally took me 10 minutes... It was a piece of cake. Here is what I did.

I took them off with dental floss.
I then grenched them in bug and tar remover (gel) and let it sit for a couple minutes.
I then ripped a little bit of clay off my claybar and rubbed the clay into the bug and tar remover right over the glue.
Then just wiped it all of with a clean microfiber.

The bug and tar remover ruinned the claybar, but it actually disolves it into the glue so when you wipe the clay and bug and tar remover residue the glue comes right off with it. This was 10x easier then the method I used before (which actually involved the bug and tar remover...) Just clay alone wasn't enough for me. would have eventually work. Just would have taken another 10-20 minutes...

This removed any lines from 10 year old residue as well with next to no effort...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys recommend any specific clay bar to remove those lines?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

any before and after pics?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSmoken
any before and after pics?
Before:

Molding infront and after door were already missing on passenger side.

After:

Dirt line on driver door:

I think the car looks much better now, and I didn't think that was possible . I was missing 2 of the pieces on the passenger side and I needed sometime to do the other day. The dirt lines are not noticeable unless you are really, really looking for them, and they won't be there much longer.

Quick Reply: Side molding removal write-up