Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do you get tint to stick on the dots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you get tint to stick on the dots?

I just got my windows tinted and I was wondering why it looks like it doesnt want to stick to the dots on the top portion of the rear window. The guy says they are dot matrices and that as the dots get bigger or further apart, that it increases the chances of it sticking. Is there any way or trick to get the entire tint to stick on the window because it really looks crappy with a big portion of the window not tinted or whatnot. Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you get tint to stick on the dots?

your tint shop should have covered the dot matrix with black vinyl and then tinted the rest of the window. any real good tint shop should have recommended that right off the bat. do a search, and you should come up with alot on this subject.

if i were you, i'd take it back to the tint shop you had your windows done at, and tell them they should have used the black vinyl tape at the top of the window, and that they should re-do it.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

Sounds like a winner, but how is the look on that black vinyl tape? Any pics? How does it last? So you put the tape down first and the tint over it? Where did you hear about this at? Is your car done like this? I just think that it looks so unfinished and unprofessional with a big portion of the window not sticking. By applying that black vinyl tape, will you be able to notice? Will it fade, crack, etc. in any way. What brand do you recommend using? I didnt think anyone would answer this thread because it took a while before anyone replied. I thought no one was understanding what I was talking about and if ya'll were, then maybe I was the only one to experience this. I really appreciate your help. By the way, by applying that tape, does it harm those dots or anything else? Does it affect the way anything functions? What is the purpose of those dots? Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

By the way, if that vinyl tape you were telling me about is tape, then wouldnt you be able to tell there is a bunch of strips? I mean doesnt tape in general come in like 3/4" wide. I know this tape isnt a foot wide because thats probably what its going to take. Or does this particular tape come in a roll or sheet? Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Did you do search on the board under "tint". I'm sure the reason some people didnt respond is because it's been talked about before.

I have the 3M Vinyl tape installed on my car. Come to think about it, my whole car club did it that way at the same shop. The tape comes in a huge roll, and most tint places carry the stuff. Call around to some different places, I'm sure more than a few shops will know what you are talking about, assuming they are a quality tint place. The tape is guranteed just as long as my tint is from the installer (which I have a lifetime warranty) so that should clue you into the quality of the stuff.
I have a pic of the rear of my car while i'm driving, but you might not be able to see the tape very well:

By the way, the portion of the window they lay the tape over you can't see in your rearview, so visibility is not an issue. As for the appearance of it, you can hardly tell it's there from the outside of the car... it almost looks "stock" as it matches with the rest of the window's border from the factory.

I think I've answered most of your questions. Call around and talk to some different tint shops.. I'm sure you'll find more than a few that can help you.

Good luck!

Jon
Old 05-23-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got the black vinyl on mine, ended up turning out really nice...
Old 05-23-2003, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

So does the tint go over the tape or its not necessary to tint it where the tape is at? Thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The trick is to talk to people near you and find a GOOD shop locally. They will be able to take care of it without a problem. I wouldn't accept the work from the shop that just slapped the tint over the dot matrix.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club NA

See the thing is, I dont use a shop, its a guy that Ive been having all my vehicles done, my mothers, some friends, etc. and I mentioned it to him but he says that what if the tape starts to come off, then the tint will come off. He says that I should sand down the dots and then retint it. I just dont think thats necessary nor worth the time and hassle. Plus I dont want to take the risk of scratching the glass. I really dont need a big roll, is there any way that I could buy a small portion of that tape? If so, where could I find it? Thanks

Quick Reply: How do you get tint to stick on the dots?