Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing Swirl Marks.... Need Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I always use a Microfiber wash mit.
I think that's your problem. I'm not a fan of MF wash mitts. They tend to trap dirt in the fibers and don't let go until you rub it on something...like your car. Instead, I always suggest lamb's wool mitts and the best ones I've found are actually the Eurow mitts they sell at Target and Walmart.

Also, I use "the two bucket method". I fill one bucket with soapy water and one with clean water. When you get ready to wash a section, dunk the mitt in the soapy water. When you're done with that section, dunk the mitt in the clean water and run your fingers over it briskly to knock any trapped dirt loose, then put the mitt back in the soapy water.

If you want to go one step further (and if you wash twice a week, you do), get something like this: http://www.properautocare.com/grguin.html

I had a hard time paying $10 for that, so when I was out at lunch one day, I noticed that the baskets they serve food on at a local burger joint are more or less the same thing. I asked the owner if I could have a couple. He looked at me funny, but said OK.

I highly recommend you check out the instructions and videos on http://www.tropi-care.com/. I've had a few discussions with Steve and he not only knows his stuff, but he's very helpful and passionate about it.

You can also check out this thread I created a while back: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

I know it seems like I pimp Tropi-Care pretty hard, but I assure you I'm not getting anything for it. I do it for three reasons:

1) The guys at Tropi-Care are very knowledgeable and helpful.
2) They're sponsors on this site.
3) Their stuff works.

-Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
1) The guys at Tropi-Care are very knowledgeable and helpful.
2) They're sponsors on this site.
3) Their stuff works.

Truth right there!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Mike's comments about the MF mitt .. I can't stand them ..

a high quality lambs wool, or chenille mitt is the only way to go, imo.

I would also second the comment on Tropi-care .. you can't go wrong with their products, and Steve is a great guy and will definately help you out and answer your questions.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Another option for minimizing scratches during washing

Sorry to side track from the current discussion. Thanks to all for their continued support of our products.

Has anyone tried out the new "Ulti-Mitt" from Lake Country? We tested these several months ago and have been using it quite a bit since their arrival. Priced at $14.99 and well worth it.. It is available now with free shipping as part of our microfiber promotion through Labor Day.

This new specialty non-abrasive foam wash mitt from Lake Country features almost 250 ½” square foam cubes to safely remove dirt from the paint surface. With this unique grid design, grit and dirt particles channel into the grooves and away from the mitt surface. Imagine being able to wash the surface without inflicting those unsightly circular swirls and scratches.

The 100% synthetic foam construction holds abundant soap suds while providing excellent lubricity during the wash phase. It will not lint as compared to the natural fiber mitts and will exhibit extended durability. Dirt simply rinses out of the foam while protecting against inflicting new swirls.

It maintains it’s shape when wet, provides for a comfortable fit and is easy to use. Dirt simply rinses out of the foam while protecting against inflicting new swirls. It is a great tool for both pros as well as the enthusiast user. You’ll be able to safely clean around every vehicle surface, trim and emblem without snags or tears. Rinse the mitt with clean water in between each section of the vehicle.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im always afraid to use a PC, But i know those scratches have to come out. Ive never used one before, but how hard Are they to use? Is there a special method to them. Also, if used wrong what are the adverse effects? sorry for all the Questions guys but i am a Detailing newb when it comes to PCs
Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPLATT
Im always afraid to use a PC, But i know those scratches have to come out. Ive never used one before, but how hard Are they to use? Is there a special method to them. Also, if used wrong what are the adverse effects? sorry for all the Questions guys but i am a Detailing newb when it comes to PCs

There are some vids on the Tropi-Care site on how to use the PC. It is pretty straight forward, much easier to leatn than buffing with a normal high speed buffer.
There also has been some posts about results of using the TC/PC & how it doesn't hurt the finish. Search for posts from Steve@Tropi-Care.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

You definately need a pc, it saves time, and does a much better job than by hand. We use the menzerna intensive polish, then the ceramic polish, then menzerna fmj, then blackfire carnauba. I have a picture of a 68 camaro that we have done it to, I just left for school so my 93 z28 didnt get done yet. I need to figure out a way to upload pics to this forum, sorry they should be up in a few days.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Thanks for letting me know about the MF wash mit. All this time I thought I was helping my car not scratching it. The car won't ever be as nice as I want it, not being a daily driver. I need a beater car I guess. I will keep track of this thread. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPLATT
This machine is very forgiving for the beginner or novice. With its dual action movement, it is not possible to burn through the surface. We provide detailed guidelines with each kit shipped to the customer. However, some micro-marring(infliction of tiny fine scratches which may cloud the clearcoat) may occur with yellow pad use by removing more stubborn scratches and blemishes. Following with softer composition foam pads will quickly restore clarity and smoothness to the paint surface.

The learning curve is short and you'll will become more comfortable each time you use it.

We can be reached with any other questions at steve@tropi-care.com or toll-free at (866)341-0050.

Quick Reply: Removing Swirl Marks.... Need Tips