Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I want to badge my car 400hp when the time comes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't listen to people who think it can only be rwhp or else your a wuss When they advertise cars on tv to the public they always use crank hp, just like the new camaro will, the corvette does, and the gto does. Besides its your car, do it the way you want too. Like ericbigmac83 said those are about the only choices of where to place the sticker.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmking26
Don't listen to people who think it can only be rwhp or else your a wuss When they advertise cars on tv to the public they always use crank hp, just like the new camaro will, the corvette does, and the gto does. Besides its your car, do it the way you want too. Like ericbigmac83 said those are about the only choices of where to place the sticker.
Exactly why I will rip apart a guy in a "400 hp LS2 GTO" and he won't know why....he has 400 hp dude!

I know you'll do what you want, but I can't wait til the day your "400 hp" camaro looses to an ???? because he is claiming 300 wheel and you claim 400 crank.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

that so much bullshit it's your car if you want to badge it 600hp go for it.........are do really care what someone else thinks??? it is your car......I am kinda bias though because I bought and paid for mine and will damn well do what I want regardless of someone's opinion!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
Exactly why I will rip apart a guy in a "400 hp LS2 GTO" and he won't know why....he has 400 hp dude!

I know you'll do what you want, but I can't wait til the day your "400 hp" camaro looses to an ???? because he is claiming 300 wheel and you claim 400 crank.
I think its funny that you are still arguing and there is nothing to argue about. Of course horsepower is only truly relevant at the wheels. Of course a heavier GTO will lose to a lighter car with less power. We know this already. I want to badge my car using CRANK hp ONLY because that is the standard that MOST people on the streets go by. If my car lived in a town where 100% of people regularly posted on ls1tech, then I'd imagine I'd use RWHP for my badge...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i'll get a 550hp one for mine...just so grandma and grandpa driving down the street can say, " damn that car has to much power." It don't have 400hp on the ground so don't put 400hp on your car. If someone can see 400hp on the side of your car than they should be able to see it get to the ground as well. Which they won't be able to if its just 340rwhp. But it is your car so do as you wish. I was just giving you my opinion. Goodluck!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

so if you bought a c5 z06 with the 405hp badge on it, you'd replace it with a 345hp badge?? You know how many people would be asking you why the hell you put a 345hp badge on your c5 z06??? See what I mean...

And if you wouldnt replace it, would you take it off?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Do the CID of your car instead. Like the old muscle cars used to. Then when someone asks how much power it makes you can tell them or tell them for the right amount of money they can find out.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that auto enthusiasts would assume 400 at the crank. The average person would assume 400 at the wheel, and doesn't factor drivetrain loss other than "autos are slower than manuals".

I think that the general perception the nay-sayers want to impart is that it's better to underrate your car (rwhp) than it is to "overrate it" (crank hp) because most people would assume rwhp, which is always less.

I say that if your car's engine puts out 400, it's 400.

In any case, it's perfectly valid to advertise your car's crank HP rating. I think it would look nice on the fenders or below the tail lights. If you have an SS hood, placing it on the rise is a nice detail.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWon00
Do the CID of your car instead. Like the old muscle cars used to. Then when someone asks how much power it makes you can tell them or tell them for the right amount of money they can find out.
I like this idea better. Unless you're going the stroker route, your CID will always be the same.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

I say do what you want. I have not ever seen a car with a 400rwhp badge, lol. As most ppl have pointed out HP and RWHP are totally different. No factory car is ever advertised with RWHP. Personally I would only put a badge under the hood. But to each his own.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
I think i'll get a 550hp one for mine...just so grandma and grandpa driving down the street can say, " damn that car has to much power." It don't have 400hp on the ground so don't put 400hp on your car. If someone can see 400hp on the side of your car than they should be able to see it get to the ground as well. Which they won't be able to if its just 340rwhp. But it is your car so do as you wish. I was just giving you my opinion. Goodluck!
Industry standard is Crank buddy! Why dont you go tell all the magazines/car manufactures to only post rwhp because crank doesnt matter (which i think your right). But we as in you and i are car people which we are not the majority. That being said 99% of the people when talking about HP talk about engine, unless you are like us all about rwhp.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

like I was saying bias here.....not badge's but still says 400 on my hood...

Old 08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

^ looks good!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never liked HP badges...in my mind, it falls into the category of being cool if you are in high school (as in the "Oh wow...that car has 400 HP"), but I will most likely just roll my eyes and make fun of you behind your back if I ever saw it in public myself.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for it man.

Its your car so do whatever you want.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've never liked HP badges...in my mind, it falls into the category of being cool if you are in high school (as in the "Oh wow...that car has 400 HP"), but I will most likely just roll my eyes and make fun of you behind your back if I ever saw it in public myself.
lol well I was in high school......but graduated in 74. But everyone has there thing they like and I'm still old school.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well auto manufacturers only rate it at the crank prob bc crank > rw. why advertise a car youre tryin to sell at 360 rwhp, when you can advertise 405 hp and just not specify its crank or not....that appeals to buyers more. but it just seems like you're wanting to advertise 400 hp bc its the biggest # and itll make people drop their jaws. those people arent the ones you should worry about impressing, its the car community. cruising downtown in the midst of the high school kiddies, a 400 hp sticker is gonna look cool.....but pull up at the track or a car show in the midst of gearheads and chances are their gonna ask to see your dyno sheet, which will only say 340 hp. and like the others said, we all go by rwhp. the biggest reason we do so, IMO, is bc unless the motor is OUT of the car and on an engine dyno, you cant give an exact fwhp #. BUT you can take it to a dyno of your choice and see what power actually gets put to use when you run it hard.

with that said, do whatever ya want, we're just tryin to give our opinion on it and steer ya in the "right" direction.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with everything you just said, but how many car shows have I ever been in and how many times have I been to the track. 0 car shows and ONCE to the track with this car. I'll use crank hp because 99.99% of the time, regular people will be seeing the badge, not gearheads. And even if a gearhead of the street saw the 400hp, he'd probably assume its crank power because it's the STANDARD in society...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again who gives a flying **** what people think on the street anyway. People keep saying well if I saw you on the street with 400 I'd smoke you cuz I have 400 at the wheels, WHO CARES. You shouldn't be racing on the street anyway. Its his car and there is NO RIGHT WAY or wrong way to do it.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you want to put it on there just do it. Get a really nice looking badge maybe stainless or something similar and throw it on there. Truth is nobody is gonna flame you if they see your pics with a 400hp badge that looks good on a good looking car. The only reason its getting so much attention right now is because its the focus point. Just do it. It is your car and if you like it why let us on the internet tell you not to do it.

Quick Reply: I want to badge my car 400hp when the time comes...