Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Solstice HVAC controls in T/A

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Those look like they are electric only. If so, they won't work in the 4th-gen f-body without some major fabrication since the HVAC panel in the 4th-gen f-body uses vacuum hoses and wire cables.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to have to pass now that i've seen how they operate. It would involve way to much work.

Well it was a thought
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Customizing HVAC system

Bringing this thread back, looking into to making some modifications to the HVAC on my car.

Right now I have two reasons for making some changes:

1. Although I've been told that the system automatically switches to recirculate when the A/C gets turned on, its not working in my car, so I always end up smelling the traffic, not fun.

2. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, but for as well as the exterior styling of the car has aged well, the interior hasn't. One of the areas of focus for me is the HVAC controls and the radio. I know it's a vacuum-controlled system, but I'm not against trying to build a system that will allow me to control everything through one big touch screen.

Anyone with thoughts and ideas feel free to chip in on this, will make my own thread as I get going...
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chobes
Bringing this thread back, looking into to making some modifications to the HVAC on my car.

Right now I have two reasons for making some changes:

1. Although I've been told that the system automatically switches to recirculate when the A/C gets turned on, its not working in my car, so I always end up smelling the traffic, not fun.

2. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, but for as well as the exterior styling of the car has aged well, the interior hasn't. One of the areas of focus for me is the HVAC controls and the radio. I know it's a vacuum-controlled system, but I'm not against trying to build a system that will allow me to control everything through one big touch screen.

Anyone with thoughts and ideas feel free to chip in on this, will make my own thread as I get going...
As for your number one, I am almost positive it isn't automatic. You have two choices, A/C=fresh air, Max A/C=recirculate the cabin air.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

i had completely forgot about this thread (and man did i sound like a dork 4.5 years ago)

anyway as it was stated earlier our ac box is all mechanical so newer controls wont adapt to it.

with that said if a man were so inclined (i have this planed for mine) since my system is old as well i was thinking of replacing the blower box with something from vintage air (they make varying size units and are all electronic) i currently have one that is ment to fit in 32 ford roadster setting on my work table to see if its the right measurements. now with that powering your ac, it would be completely feasible that you could use any electronic control head including this one
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just saw this thread for the first time. I hope you guys can get this to work.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

ShortChevy - Good to know that, will be driving on MAX AC setting now...

BlackByrd - I looked into the vintage units, but going that route is close to 1K just in parts, and requires the use of their controls. Going this route would still require some customization to get a touch-panel to run those controls.

Utilizing the factory unit is going to require some serious customization to get anything to work, time for more research....
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry noob here, but what's a HVAC? Been trying to figure out what you guys been talking about in this whole thread lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning
Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
i had completely forgot about this thread (and man did i sound like a dork 4.5 years ago)

anyway as it was stated earlier our ac box is all mechanical so newer controls wont adapt to it.

with that said if a man were so inclined (i have this planed for mine) since my system is old as well i was thinking of replacing the blower box with something from vintage air (they make varying size units and are all electronic) i currently have one that is ment to fit in 32 ford roadster setting on my work table to see if its the right measurements. now with that powering your ac, it would be completely feasible that you could use any electronic control head including this one
Thats the route I plan on taking. Vintage Air hiding under the dash, and absolutely nothing on the firewall or visible in the engine bay. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm gonna hold off on that for now though, because I don't wanna have to dick with the factory dash when doing it. I'm just gonna make a custom dash out of MDF and sheetmetal, then use a HUGE touchscreen carputer in the center to run everything, including the Vintage Air setup, since there new units are all electric. Should be rather simple, to be honest. Just gotta finish up the L92 VVT swap first.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squee
Thats the route I plan on taking. Vintage Air hiding under the dash, and absolutely nothing on the firewall or visible in the engine bay. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm gonna hold off on that for now though, because I don't wanna have to dick with the factory dash when doing it. I'm just gonna make a custom dash out of MDF and sheetmetal, then use a HUGE touchscreen carputer in the center to run everything, including the Vintage Air setup, since there new units are all electric. Should be rather simple, to be honest. Just gotta finish up the L92 VVT swap first.
I thought about that as well, but the rep at vintage told me, a couple of times, that in order to use one of their units, you have to use their controls as well. So you'd have to figure out a way to have the carputer control their controls in order to make it work.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about that as well, but the rep at vintage told me, a couple of times, that in order to use one of their units, you have to use their controls as well. So you'd have to figure out a way to have the carputer control their controls in order to make it work.
You think I haven't thought of that? Fusion Brain. It'll control anything you can think of, and has inputs for stuff like a accelerometer, temp sensors, photosensors, ultrasonic distance sensors, current sensors...Well, you get the idea.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

You think I haven't thought of that? Fusion Brain. It'll control anything you can think of, and has inputs for stuff like a accelerometer, temp sensors, photosensors, ultrasonic distance sensors, current sensors...Well, you get the idea.
I figured there's a way around it, just getting into this. I'm not looking to create a custom dash, so trying to find a way to utilize the original AC, looking more and more like that's not going to be an option.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured there's a way around it, just getting into this. I'm not looking to create a custom dash, so trying to find a way to utilize the original AC, looking more and more like that's not going to be an option.
Well, thats just it. I'm only going with the custom dash for something simplistic, that'll allow me to run a ~15" touch screen, along with a ton of other stuff I plan on doing, while also making it alot easier to fit all the stuff I want up under there. It'll give me a ton more room, and look alot better as well. You don't have to go with a custom dash though. You could easily fit the Vintage Air setup under the stock dash. Stock A/C with some other type of controls isn't gonna happen though. I just don't get what it is that you want out of it exactly.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Sorry noob here, but what's a HVAC? Been trying to figure out what you guys been talking about in this whole thread lol.
You didn't look at the pictures in the first page and figure it out?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

well if you have to use their control head chould easily mount the solstice **** on top of theirs
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Well, thats just it. I'm only going with the custom dash for something simplistic, that'll allow me to run a ~15" touch screen, along with a ton of other stuff I plan on doing, while also making it alot easier to fit all the stuff I want up under there. It'll give me a ton more room, and look alot better as well. You don't have to go with a custom dash though. You could easily fit the Vintage Air setup under the stock dash. Stock A/C with some other type of controls isn't gonna happen though. I just don't get what it is that you want out of it exactly.
15" touch-screen? Might as well just embed a tablet into the dash, then you can take it with you. Right now I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way of incorporating a touch-screen (either a nice double-din HU, or carputer) into the factory location, but being able to utilize the final solution to control the HVAC as well. I've heard some of the audio units have up to 5 other programmable features, could easily utilize those for hvac. It's looking like I'll have to utilize something along the lines of the Vintage Air unit, but those are pricey.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
well if you have to use their control head chould easily mount the solstice **** on top of theirs
That's just the thing, I'm looking to get rid of the control *****, but not excited about relocating them to the glove box. The control ***** are one of the things I've always hated about the interior...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if thats the case, stock A/C has to go. As far as I'm aware though, no new HU will be able to control the HVAC. Simple on off, yes, but not something like changing the blower motor, etc. I'm still undecided on the screen, but it would be most cost effective to have a simple touchscreen in there. It'll look better too. Theres a guy that swapped a LS1 into a Starion or a Conquest and made a custom dash. Thats much like what I plan on doing, just...better.

Quick Reply: Solstice HVAC controls in T/A