Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Couple questions for you widebody Camaro owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not talking about it being thin in terms of just for looks. I was more worried about how strong it was. In the case of the front fenders if you bolt on a thin cheaply made fiberglass part(for example my friend's girlfriend's Tiburon with a cheaply made fiberglass front bumper which cracked all to ****) it will most likely crack.
Old 02-28-2008 | 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are 6 bids on it with 3 hours left, is anybody on here bidding on them?

i want them, but i will wait
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:09 PM
Launching!

fyi, that dynamic designs guy was a huge fraud. a bunch of guys on here lost a lot of money, supposedly he died in a motorcycle accident like a year ago before anyone could get any money out of him.
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well he just replied to my ebay message

Originally Posted by keycompositesgroup
Dear presto_steve,

Sorry, this is the only set I have and they will be sold to the highest bidder.

- keycompositesgroup

so if you want them this may be your only chance
Old 03-25-2008 | 01:16 PM
Teching In

Default Wide Body Kit

Anyone know anything about this kit? http://www.body-panel.com/details.asp?ID=825
Anyone have one on order? Was it going to be a limited run only?
Old 03-25-2008 | 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

interesting thread ... def. looking for something like this if it's available for the LT1 style
Old 03-25-2008 | 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck with this project, I looked into it with my carbon fiber guy and you run into a lot of issues. I mean a ******* lot.

First off, no company will make one. Ever. Nobody. It will have to be a custom fab job or some Joe Schmo who is good with body work doing them for a huge premium. Why you ask? Why would a company spend the ridiculous amounts of money it would take for research and development to produce a load bearing structural unit on a car that has been discontinued for the previous 6 years and a new model is scheduled for release? They wouldn't.

Now, it is entirely possible to do a custom workup. Like, entirely possible if you are an LSx powerhouse like W2W with the money, space and resources to charge someone a very high premium to have it done. And when they did it, I do not believe they produced a veneer. I thought they actually modified the existing OEM steel, I could be wrong though.

If you were to do it, think about how much a carbon fiber or rear fiberglass "flare" would not work. The rear fender is a structural unit of the body, you would be bolting into it. This means drilling. Drilling means holes, holes mean any moisture at all over time and you are fucked. Like, not the good, fun kind but more like "Oh **** I have AIDS fucked".
You would be using carbon fiber or fiberglass, neither of which bend or dent. They snap. So, all those f-body's out there that have even the slightest rolls and grooves in their rear fenders due to torque, no sfcs, and simply normal American V8 abuse would equate in a cracked or shattered $1000 piece of body work. Second, how would you modify the existing wheel wells and suspension to allow for the one foot or more wide wheel/tire combo out back (the DH cars had 12in wide Fiskes with a 335/30ZR18 outback but people are likely to go wider cuz **** why not, right?). How would you prevent too much suspension travel when accidently hitting a speedbump to hard, or a pot hole, or roadkill-anything you hit will cause suspension travel, if that giant wheel you have filling up your wheel well happens to bump into the carbon fiber flare you have bolted on, chances are, it will break. You have to figure more than just the shape of the flare. You have materials, placement, perfect size, suspension, types of wheels, hell I do not even know if the hub assembly, etc will need any modification to fit that wheel on or not. Minitub? **** why not, right?

Next, front fenders. Same. Seriously. If you need me to explain again then I am amazed that you managed read this far and I will not insult but simply say, dude, read all that **** above this paragraph.

Next, front lip. Good luck with a steep driveway, speedbump, raccoon, etc. It WILL break and cost you a lot. Besides, you know the car will not be stock ride height cuz hell, why not?

There is a reason the Dick Harrell car cost almost $200,000.
(HINT: it has less to do with the 427 cubic inch motor that you see frequently used by members of this site and more to do with the body kit produced by top GM designers on GM premises that has not been reproduced by anyone in the 6 years since its production).

When researching the possibility of designing and producing the kit, I realized how mammoth of a task it was. It was an effort between a GM designed named Randy Witten and GM's Director of Design Kip Wasenko (I may have misspelled that). Anyways, Wasenko or whatever his name is, is the father of the 4th gen F-body design himself. Well, the two of them got together and planned out production of the panels. Which was no small task.
The actual R&D for these panels, to ensure everything was designed flawlessly with beauty AND structural intergrity, was dreamed, drawn, designed and produced at the GM Design Center.

I am sorry if I sounded rude at all in this post, but, do a search. Read the threads. This has been brought up many times and when people realize how cost inefficient it is they give up faster than Helen Keller would in any kind of contest for people.
Now, I am not trying to doubt your abilities, but do not do it. It took the big wigs at GM a lot of money and time. That, and you asked if you should buy a kit from freewebs that lacks any actual pictures of their product so I can only assume you are not a mechanical engineer. Sorry to be an *** and burst your bubble. You should build a motor, much more easy, just as fun. That's what I did.
Old 03-25-2008 | 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

ummm....you DO realize that the DH cars are a fiberglass fender bonded OVER the exsisting steel right? There is no mini tubbing, no cut fenderwells, just a bonded on glass piece over the factory steel. The front fenders are replacements as is the front nose.
Old 03-26-2008 | 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

GetGone --
I am aware of all the production aspects of the bodywork that was PROFESSIONALLY DONE BY GM at their design studios. The creation of mold after mold, finding the perfect mold, casting pieces, destroying or at the very least retiring the molds.

The minitubbing, drilling, etc were things that were going to be done by some ******* idiot that is trying to do this. This is not going to be done, at least, not by this guy.
Of his first five questions, 4 were factual measurements available in the public domain. The other question to begin researching for this project was "how awesome does it really look". Straight out of enginfuckineering school I take it.
Now, if he were beginning his research by asking about existing molds, any measurements that have been made to mock up a mold, any places that have quantities of carbon fiber cloth (goodluck), ANYBODY that understands physics of composites, etc. I would think there would be hope. But give up the chance of having a DH replica.

You will probably end up with beaned out Camaro. I spent almost a year planning the logistics of this project out and I gave up. Take my advice and do the same. I am done in this thread though because there is always that one person yelling that it WILL get done because he knows a guy who knows a guy. Well bad news, that guy he is talking about was either me a year ago or someone who is not me and is broke as **** and in deep regret.

Pay to go fast.
Old 03-26-2008 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

i think the one from w2w looks better beacause the back fender doesnot have the huge absess i still like it though but seems like for sombody with a big budget im just going to narrow my rear in the future to get some huge tires in there lot easier, and seriously for a inch in a half wider i rather do the rear end swap

Quick Reply: Couple questions for you widebody Camaro owners