Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Glowing Nose Bird Mod (my way!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to say I had to hold off on this.. I recently moved to Wisconsin and they require front plates, so all in all, Im kinda glad I didnt get around to painting the clear panel due to I can just change out my original one for it. I DO Plan on movin back to GA sooner or later and when i do this WILL be completed for sure! I can still guide you through it if you wanna know tho.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After you trace your out line cut the pieces needed to cover the "Bird" logo. Place them on the bird. Use a heat gun/Hair Dryer to get the Vynil to over lap the rounded corners better. Then Paint the clear filler panel what ever color you like... perferably the same color as the car of course but to each thier own. Once the paint and clear cloat are hard enough to pull off the Vynil Overlays, then do so. You should now have a CLEAR bird logo.

I had planned on using two to three 3" or 6" neon Cathode tubes depending on the size/brightness I can use in certain areas. I decided to go with Cathode tubes instead of LEDs for 2 main reasons.

1. I dont want the lights to be seen through the clear lens.
2. LED's MUCH more expensive imo and its cheaper to replace a cathode tube than having to resolder a LED bulb that may turn out to be a diff. shade of color than your already using per-say "red" for instance.

I was gonna be placing the tubes using doublesided molding tabe on the sides of the birds wings and along the top, thus giving the bird that GLOW effect and the tubes will never been in eye view.

Once your neons are in place you can run the wiring through the 2 top holes that the tabs snap into to hold the top of the filler in place. Run your wireing to the place where you plan on having your power source etc. Mine were gonna be tied in with my Fog Light Halo's so when they are on.. its on.

Screw in the 2 bottom screws and your done.

Neons really dont consume that much power as people think, especially small neon tubes. Sure if you plan on leaving your neons all night long and never crank your car to charge your battery, sure your car is gonna be dead. Thats just like leaving your headlights on imo. I only use my neons when Im driving or if I know for a fact Ill be parked no longer than 15-30 mins or so.

I do have another plan for this piece how ever since the state Im in have front tag laws. I will be taping off a 1/2" round the face of the filler panel Covering the inside area and painting the outter edge then clearing it again, Thus making it flow nicer with the car instead of having the whole thing completely clear. I think if just having the center area clear with a masked outline just so the tag can be seen will make it look all the better.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone in FL... I think his name was 98snakeater and he had a yellow T/A. I had one of those clear plates but sold it. The original company that made those has since gone out of business though but afterautothoughts makes them I think? Did they buy the molds from the guy?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Creed420
Sorry to say I had to hold off on this.. I recently moved to Wisconsin and they require front plates, so all in all, Im kinda glad I didnt get around to painting the clear panel due to I can just change out my original one for it. I DO Plan on movin back to GA sooner or later and when i do this WILL be completed for sure! I can still guide you through it if you wanna know tho.

After you trace your out line cut the pieces needed to cover the "Bird" logo. Place them on the bird. Use a heat gun/Hair Dryer to get the Vynil to over lap the rounded corners better. Then Paint the clear filler panel what ever color you like... perferably the same color as the car of course but to each thier own. Once the paint and clear cloat are hard enough to pull off the Vynil Overlays, then do so. You should now have a CLEAR bird logo.

I had planned on using two to three 3" or 6" neon Cathode tubes depending on the size/brightness I can use in certain areas. I decided to go with Cathode tubes instead of LEDs for 2 main reasons.

1. I dont want the lights to be seen through the clear lens.
2. LED's MUCH more expensive imo and its cheaper to replace a cathode tube than having to resolder a LED bulb that may turn out to be a diff. shade of color than your already using per-say "red" for instance.

I was gonna be placing the tubes using doublesided molding tabe on the sides of the birds wings and along the top, thus giving the bird that GLOW effect and the tubes will never been in eye view.

Once your neons are in place you can run the wiring through the 2 top holes that the tabs snap into to hold the top of the filler in place. Run your wireing to the place where you plan on having your power source etc. Mine were gonna be tied in with my Fog Light Halo's so when they are on.. its on.

Screw in the 2 bottom screws and your done.

Neons really dont consume that much power as people think, especially small neon tubes. Sure if you plan on leaving your neons all night long and never crank your car to charge your battery, sure your car is gonna be dead. Thats just like leaving your headlights on imo. I only use my neons when Im driving or if I know for a fact Ill be parked no longer than 15-30 mins or so.

I do have another plan for this piece how ever since the state Im in have front tag laws. I will be taping off a 1/2" round the face of the filler panel Covering the inside area and painting the outter edge then clearing it again, Thus making it flow nicer with the car instead of having the whole thing completely clear. I think if just having the center area clear with a masked outline just so the tag can be seen will make it look all the better.
well that sucks
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Instead of using bright LED's or incandescent lights, how about cutting an EL sheet and taping it inside the panel? : http://www.luminousfilm.com/el_lamp.htm
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Interesting, never heard of this stuff before.. was reading on it and tho it gives somewhat sketchy info on the product, the site doesnt really tell a me what I wanna know about it.. life expectancy.. it says humidity plays a big role on its life of the EL.. well everytime you wash your car, some of that water WILL get behind that filler plate one way or another... That + mixed with living in a hot/cold climate w/ different weather effects or even living near a lake create humidity, just doesnt seem like this would be a good product for this type of mod. Now for interior design stuff it would prolly be some neat stuff to work with seein its dry inside the vehicle 98% of the time (2% for those who left their TTops off when its raining lol) and its only 0.020 thick.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Creed420
Interesting, never heard of this stuff before.. was reading on it and tho it gives somewhat sketchy info on the product, the site doesnt really tell a me what I wanna know about it.. life expectancy.. it says humidity plays a big role on its life of the EL.. well everytime you wash your car, some of that water WILL get behind that filler plate one way or another... That + mixed with living in a hot/cold climate w/ different weather effects or even living near a lake create humidity, just doesnt seem like this would be a good product for this type of mod. Now for interior design stuff it would prolly be some neat stuff to work with seein its dry inside the vehicle 98% of the time (2% for those who left their TTops off when its raining lol) and its only 0.020 thick.
Says it right there on the website:

"Answering the question regarding the life of a FLATLITE electroluminescent panel, or for any electroluminescent based product, is a somewhat involved answer.
EL does not fail to light so it technically has NO end of life, rather it is the decaying luminance level (brightness) in a particular application that determines when it is no longer useful.
The decaying luminance is exponential - meaning more rapidly early and extremely slow later in time, which is also greatly affected by how the phosphors are powered (this means the inverters output wave shape, voltage and frequency) and by the ambient temperature the panels are being run in (cold temperatures yield better results than warmer temperatures).
All EL technologies share the same characteristics with the major variation being the quality of the base phosphor material with the secondary factor being the way the panel is manufactured.
The phosphors available from each manufacturer are graded according to
their specific life and brightness characteristics. If the same exact grade is being used by two manufacturers, their methods of making or driving the panel may produce results that differ as much as 25%. This is why the decision to use EL technology for an application should be independent of what a particular supplier may quote for "life".

Comparing two EL technologies must be done with all the factors (power, temperature, phosphor grade) equal, which may not be possible given the data normally available from the different manufacturers.
Our Flatlite inverters employ an active compensation scheme, so more voltage is fed to the panel as it ages early in its life. This compensation scheme, combined with variable starting brightness levels, greatly varies the useful life of a product. In one test, for example, samples were run at 25, 50, 75 and 100% starting voltage. After 2 years of running 24/7, the panel started at the 25% level was the brightest of the 4 samples and the other 3 were virtually the same."

I read somewhere that if the panel needs to be trimmed, to seal the cut edges, eliminating the possibility of humidity leaching into the panel and messing it up.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

That sucks....Brian's LEDs are sick!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

i just want one made for my bird..a plug and play how much?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

i dont wanna use led's.. i just want 2 use or or more headlight white bulb(s)... i wonder how i'm gonna do that
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

how would i wire it so it it has its own on/off switch? where would i wire the headlight bulb to?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

i would buy a clear plate - have some one like emblempros make you just the outling of the bird // paint over it and peel off the out line

simple as that -your done // then slap a bulb or leds behind it
Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly.com
how would i wire it so it it has its own on/off switch? where would i wire the headlight bulb to?
Headlamp bulbs is a bad idea for many reasons . one in particular is the
heat would warp the plastic over time and ruin it . LEDs are the way to
go
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

can u link me to the LEDs that i need? how many?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would it look bad if I were to paint it black (2 coats of gloss), then put another coat or two of VHT nigh shade over that (or just over the bird... not sure) with the multi color LED's you've got going there?

Also, I noticed there was a little bit of a bleed thru of the white around the body to the wings, would there be a way of isolating that more?

EDIT: Or what about putting the stainless steel cutouts over the bird, so only the outline would show thru?

Idk, just throwing in my two cents

Last edited by Fosnot; 09-22-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

holy old thread!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
holy old thread!
Yeah, but the knowledge is still applicable... that and its in the hall of fame sticky section...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump?

Quick Reply: Glowing Nose Bird Mod (my way!)