Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default tow hooks

i have had an fbody break down and a friends break down and we can never find a good point to mount a tow strap to so we can pull it across town (slowly) so we can work on it at home. where do you guys hook up the tow strap? on hondas they have them built into the front and rear of the car but theres really no good spot on fbodies. im thinking about getting a universal one just in case some time down the road my car does break and i can get it off the road or back to my house safely

thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I towed my Firebird home by the sway bar once. Of course, I was in it.

Didn't even scratch the sway bar with the chain

That was when I broke a timing chain.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

how the hell are u and your friends killing f-bodys these thing can take a beating
Old 02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had to tow mine. but wrapping a tow strap around the k-member seems like the most logical thing to me. It has enough mounting bolts that you will not have to worry about pulling it out of shape or breaking it.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jkwalkercchs
how the hell are u and your friends killing f-bodys these thing can take a beating
well one fbody was a 180k mile lt1 and the other time i had a valve spring break on my 2000 camaro ss, and i had another friend who had a water pump go out. maybe one day i will have a rear end **** on me and not want to wait 45 minutes and sixty bucks for a tow, or have another valve spring go out

i thought about the k member but i didnt want to bend anything i had down there or have the strap get frayed and cut. add in that it was dark and the side of a service road by the freeway and it kind of makes you in a panic mode lol
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

I would recommend using the k member if need be
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

when i hit a huge rock in the middle of the highway busting my oil pan and tranny case, i just said screw it and called a rollback. I cant see any feasable place on these cars to tow one without eventually putting stress on a body panel , even if it is hooked to the under carriageor if the tow vehicle is taller than your car.. I would make friends with a person who owned a rollback.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

im thinking about fabbing up my own lil hook thing that would sit back in the inlets on the bumper for my camaro, kind of like this one except more concealed. i doubt it would be very strong but it would be able to take low speeds. i guess i could have it stick out this far, just keep it in the trunk till i need it next to my emergency tools

Attached Thumbnails tow hooks-towhookuniversal.jpg  

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-18-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That Honda must break down a lot...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

i think its more of a "JDM" thing, or they have delusions of getting stuck in the gravel pits on some super speedway lol

ever wonder why some of the newer imports have circle imprints on the front bumper? well remove that circle and walla

Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

There really isn't a good spot for front or rear. It's been discussed quite a but on Frrax.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok the tow truck guy that towed mine onto the flatbed used the big long holes on the subframe! they are perfect to put the hooks in there! and there are also hooks on the subframe to use too! mine has them!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude that looks ridiculous. These things are performance cars not off-road trucks! If it's really that big of a concern about your car dieing on you so often I'd spend the money elsewhere on getting the car running strong
Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ae13291
ok the tow truck guy that towed mine onto the flatbed used the big long holes on the subframe! they are perfect to put the hooks in there! and there are also hooks on the subframe to use too! mine has them!
i know there are some by the trunk but not in the front

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Dude that looks ridiculous. These things are performance cars not off-road trucks! If it's really that big of a concern about your car dieing on you so often I'd spend the money elsewhere on getting the car running strong
haha my car runs strong trust me but im just trying to think ahead. searching ebay people are selling these things for $100 for a front and rear attachment. these things would cost MAYBE $10 to make, thats a huge profit. someone should make some in nbm, s.o.m. red black and white and you would make some good money

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-19-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

ive towed mine a few times, but i have a tow dolly so its not much of a concern . a thought though would be to either use the k member (i always wrap my safety chains around either that or the a arms, the sway bar is pretty strong but i would worry about damaging them, but if you wanted a dedicated tow point those importish ones would be put to good use in a non visible place (or maybe have some welded/bolted to the front frame?)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

k member isnt an option frm the bottom atleast and from the top i would be worried about breaking my intake and having the hood fly up. so that still leaves us at a sway bar, but even then you would still have to leave the hood popped open pretty far and not good for braking behind anotheer vehicle
Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I had my old TA break down on me once, and we couldn't find a place to hook a strap, and the trailer was too steep to get up (would have scratched the hell out of the bumper). So we pushed it, 8 miles.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

yikes, that doesn't sound like fun!!

Quick Reply: tow hooks