Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cone damage, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cone damage, suggestions?

this past sunday i was at my season opener autox. it was ******* COLD.....my slicks had no heat in them whatsoever....meaning no traction. henceforth, i spun out and smacked the hell out of a big cone, hitting my passenger door. it sounded like i took out a light pole. when surveying the damage, it looks like there are smudges and even some rather deep scratches. i havent had time to really examine it yet, but a quick look and feel seems like its down past the paint and into the door itself. if, hopefully, its not that bad, what does everyone suggest as far as a rather intensive polish/compound?

i have a porter cable, and white pad. the only compound i have is Megs swirl remover, which i already know does nothing for swirls. this seems like a pretty bad hit, and i was thinking it could take an aggressive pad and something like Megs diamond cut or similiar. should i even try this myself, or go to a bodyshop, for a professional job, if not repaint (i really hope not)?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if you can get some pictures up. I've taken out some pretty deep scratches and scuffs with some 1500 grit sand paper followed by an orange pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish. It probably won't all come out (mine didn't), but you'd be hard pressed to tell anything was there if it is done right (and provided it isn't too bad).
Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

ill try tomorrow after work. i was looking at Megs website, and was thinking about getting some medium cut compound, and high cut polish.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

heres the best i could do. i tried with and without flash, but didnt have the room or enough lighting options. the bottom part is the worst, the top can probably be done with a mild compound.

bottom

any suggestions? i dont want to wet sand, thats beyond my level now. if i can do it with my PC and some kind of compound, i will. if it really needs a sanding, then ill go to a shop.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

try it with the pc if that dont work youll need to try a higher speed buffer or sanding and buffing
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like it has gone clear through the paint...a buffer won't fix that.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, steve.. i've hit cones before and they leave that white waxy junk on the paint, but mine cleaned up fine. go at it with a medium cut compound and see what happens, be sure you don't overheat it, id start with the far left and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

i think im going to order some higher cut products from meg's website, and try it out. ive been meaning to expand my detail selection anyway. should i get something like a heavy cut cleaner, or compound power cleaner, or something like an ultra cut or speed cut compound? i dont really know the differance between the clean/compound, as they both seem to be at the same level of cut, according to the bottles.

Quick Reply: Cone damage, suggestions?