Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

1999 C5 Turn-Signal Flasher Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 C5 Turn-Signal Flasher Bypass

Hello All,

When replacing the original equipment incandescent parking / turn-signal lamps with LED type lamps / fixtures, it is necessary to bypass the factory “thermal” flasher, which is integrated into the hazard light switch located next to the center air vent. A ready made harness with aftermarket “electronic” flasher and mating connector ends makes it a quick and easy install, but for the more daring, you can DIY for about $8.00USD and some patience. I saw some generic LED tail lamps at Autozone, which were not too expensive and thought I would give them a try. In order to use these LED tail lamps replacing / bypassing the factory flasher was in order. I used an EL12 electro-mechanical flasher made by Tridon / Stant available at Advanced Auto or Autozone.

The above image shows the factory harness, which is located underneath the steering column / lower dash panel. This panel is held in place by four T-15 Torx fasteners. The flasher harness is easy to locate as it is the only harness in the immediate area except for the main ignition harness, which is directly above it. Make sure the key is OFF / out of the ignition. Locate the pink and purple wires, in the flasher harness, and cut them as indicated in the photo. The pink and purple wires leading up to the hazard light switch can be taped / insulated, as they are not used anymore. As far as I can tell, these wires go to the factory thermal flasher, which is located in the hazard light switch.

Strip the “other” pink and purple wires, closest to the white connector, ¼” and crimp two female spade connectors onto the wires as indicated in the photo. On the bottom of the EL12 flasher you will notice that there is an “X” and “L” terminal. The “X” terminal is the “line / voltage source” side and the “L” terminal is the “load” side. Connect the pink wire (ignition power) to the “X” terminal of the flasher and connect the purple wire (lamp circuit) to the “L” terminal of the flasher. Turn-on the parking lights and insure that both front / rear lamps work correctly. Turn-on the left / right turn-signals and make sure they function correctly. Also, press the brake while someone walks around the vehicle to check the entire lighting system for any problems. If all is well, then wire tie or tape the new flasher to the harness and replace the lower dash panel.

The EL12 flasher should work with just about any type of LED lamp / fixture, but only the indicated lamps have been tested by me. Your mileage may vary.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails 1999 C5 Turn-Signal Flasher Bypass-el12-flasher.jpg   1999 C5 Turn-Signal Flasher Bypass-turn-signal-bypass.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Thank you very much for this guide. It worked like a champ. What a great work around. Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

You can buy "no load" replacement flashers that plug in place of the original and no new/custom wiring needed.

The EL12 is not a "no load" flasher.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Thumbs up works great!

I did this work around and it does what it says! To buy a preassembled harness is about $80 US. To buy a compatible flasher mpdule is about $10 with about the same amount of work required. Thanks for this.

Quick Reply: 1999 C5 Turn-Signal Flasher Bypass