Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Scratch remover:WHEELS&paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Scratch remover:WHEELS&paint

Alrighty guys got a couple quick questions.
I bought the car with about 20k miles on it and there has been something that drives me crazy. I am sure I'm the only one who notices it, but regardless, I notice it. I have the 1998 chrome 5-star wheels. When I clean them and polish them I notice hair-sized scratches. They almost look like they are from a buffer that wasn't that soft, or something the previous owner tried to use to clean the chrome was to rough. Anyways, is there any chance of me finally getting these scratches out now that I have the car running and am experiencing some nice weather? Or, am I fucked until I get new wheels.

Second, my car is plagued with scratches. I'll take the blame for some of them, most came from the ice storms knocking down trees and branches being piled up on the side of the road...ice...sliding into a few. None of the scratches are too bad and I believe most could be rubbed out with a good rubbing compound.
What is the best scratch repair product out there guys? I an not looking to spend $100 on a 10 step process and am hoping more for the $10-$50 range. Thanks

Mitchell
Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the wheels you are probably screwed sounds like the paint needs to be sanded and buffed
Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i wish they made something that actually worked for removing fine scratches on chrome wheels but as far as i know they dont.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Ok well what about the paint? Is there a rubbing compound that works well? Saying "sand and buff" doesn't really do it for me. "Hey I need to make my car go faster what should I do?". "Gee I would probably do stuff to the motor".

I was hoping for a product recommendation. The wheels I can handle because I am due to get a set for summer as it is, however, this paint is killing me.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the chrome is "scratched" the only thing you can do is a wetsand and buff. It takes some pretty abrasive material to scratch the triple layer chrome on the 98 5 star so these micro scratches must be really in there if you can see them.

try some metal polish and a mother's power ball and see how that works out. Even if you don't get the micro scratches out, you will have a mirror shine that'll blind people on sunny days.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Given your price constraint on the paint scratches, there's not much I can suggest. When it comes to removing fine scratches and swirl marks, I use my Porter Cable polisher and some foam pads. Tropi-Care offers some good "starter kits", but they're outside the price range you've mentioned.

That said, I can't stress enough the results you get with a good polisher/pad/polish setup vs. what you can do by hand. Not only will you get better results, but you'll expend a lot less energy doing it.

Something like this, along with some TC-8 Swirl Cutter and TC-3 Sealant will help fix most of the problems you're describing: http://www.tropi-care.com/product_p/tcpc-10.htm

As for the wheels, are they clearcoated? If so, the above polish/sealant will work on those too. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you, since I don't have much experience with chrome.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SladeX
if the chrome is "scratched" the only thing you can do is a wetsand and buff. It takes some pretty abrasive material to scratch the triple layer chrome on the 98 5 star so these micro scratches must be really in there if you can see them.

try some metal polish and a mother's power ball and see how that works out. Even if you don't get the micro scratches out, you will have a mirror shine that'll blind people on sunny days.
I never really thought about wet sanding triple plated chrome. I kinda figured it might scratch the wheels more.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I polish up the mating surface of the heatsink and the cpu on for my computers doing a wetsand. I can get mirror shines that even on angles look smooth.

I usually take it from 800 all the way up to 2000 grit before I hit it with a metal polishing compound to take out the finest scratches 2000 grit leaves. There's also jeweler's rouge as well to give one hell of a shine too. Though for a rim that'd be a lot of work as opposed to the 1 inch by 1 inch area of a heatsink mating surface. If my 98 5 stars were 17 inch but still that 16 inch design, I'd probably take the time to do it that way. I'm running polished zr1's so not really screaming at me to give it that kind of treatment.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

chuprOkabra
Thanks for that link. I may hold off from the cheap polish and look into something like that. Would that be good if I wanted to do the entire car as well and just try to "renew" the paint job. It doesn't look bad overall but it also doesn't shine like new. I almost broke down and went to Maaco just so I could get all the scratches fixed and get the brand new clearcoat shine to it. Thanks for all the feedback guys

Quick Reply: Scratch remover:WHEELS&paint