Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how to clean inside turn signal housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default how to clean inside turn signal housing

Any tips or advice on a good way to clean the inside of these things? I have mine out due to a bulb melting down and burning the plug. Bad part is the inside of my light housing is now brown.

Advice?

Btw its a 99 TA
Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Disregard. Going to to lowes and replacing the lens with plexi. Going to paint the inside with some Dupont chrome first.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhhhh thats exactly what i've done but the chrome paint has given me an orange peel effect so i'm not sure what to do about it.

any ideas? i but a clear coat on to try and make it last but it turned the paint gray.

i asked 4 help in the paint section and had no help from anyone i've never used the chrome paint before this and not sure what to do. it's nearly impossible to evenly sand inside the housing.

oh and definitely get lexan not regular plexi it's way stronger and doesn't scratch as easily
Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Any tips or advice on a good way to clean the inside of these things? I have mine out due to a bulb melting down and burning the plug. Bad part is the inside of my light housing is now brown.

Advice?

Btw its a 99 TA
Same problem here, I went to Autozone last week and bought the socket and bulb for 7 bux because mine were in bad shape and brown due to humidity and stuff, I checked and cleaned the housing in and out to make sure there was no leak or else, now it looks and works great.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i went with the lexan. an 8x10 1/8" sheet was only $3.15 so i bought a few for practice. As far as the orange peel, im not to concerned with that too much considering how often anyone actually gets down and looks that closely inside. Either way it should look a lot better than OEM white!

I'll post some pics when it's finished...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

cool i'd post pix but i have no camera right now.

what are you using to seal the lexan to the housing? i bought aquarium sealant but i'm using hot glue with a chrome like color it has a great bond and wont turn yellow

oh and the sockets are the same as our taillights so i grabbed a few of my friends wrecked sixer, freebie! i know i'm cheap....

Last edited by toslo5o; 03-23-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: how to clean inside turn signal housing