Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Thinking about painting engine bay with POR-15...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thinking about painting engine bay with POR-15...

What do you guys think? The motor is completely pulled out as well as the trans. I thought about painting the entire bottom side of the car as well as the engine bay and I wanted something durable. I also want to use a gloss black. I already have the bottom side of the hood painted black. Here's some pictures of how it looked before I pulled the engine. What did you guys use to paint your engine bay? Any pictures?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was thinking of doing the same thing while motor was out, but heard POR15 reacts badly to UV rays. I work on my car outside with the hood up and do not want any problems with this. Anybody have more info on the POR15 application for under the hood?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 97LT1
was thinking of doing the same thing while motor was out, but heard POR15 reacts badly to UV rays. I work on my car outside with the hood up and do not want any problems with this. Anybody have more info on the POR15 application for under the hood?
I don't think you will have a problem. They mean by constant rays from the sun. Working on your car with the hood up isn't going to make a difference. We restored a '65 GTO and used POR 15 chasis black on the inner fender wells and rad support. Never had an issue being in the sun at car shows with the hood up.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, Will the Por 15 paint be a smooth coat or is it to thick to use in the engine bay? I just sprayed mine and clear it and it looked great from a can mixed to match the car.
You should do the wire mod when you're done or before you paint? Would make the engine bay look very clean. Nice TA.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

The eastwood company makes a underhood paint that might work better for you
Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
Good stuff, seen a couple show cars with that paint. Don't know what the price difference is though.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
Is that their P0R15 knockoff or something different?

Edit nevermind, just saw that their underhood black is more of a factory paint.

Last edited by 97LT1; 03-25-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default por paint

I was wanting to do the under side of my 02 LE which is redand my local paint supplier said it only comes in black,silver white ,gray and may be somthing else but is not mixable!!no mixing to match your car?I guess im back to useing the base red LOL!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive used POR15 a few times last year when i had an older car. The only reason ive used it is because its really good rust paint. If you have any surface rust all you do is spray on some MetelReady that POR15 sells....let it do its job of neutralizing any rust and then apply POR15.

The finish is super tough, the paint itself feels pretty heavy and the finish all depends on what color you get. I believe SILVER is the thickest/toughest and its very very good for heavily pitted and rusted away areas. I remember when i was doing my rockers and i would just go over the small holes with the por15 and they would be sealed shut.

I dont see a point in using POR15 on a mint looking engine bay like you have, its really a waste of time and money (unless you are super super paranoid and just want that protection) but i say just keep your engine bay clean and call it a day. Got lots of rust? Sure, touch it up with por and then MAKE SURE you put a top coat of it, POR15 does not like sunlight.

Quick Reply: Thinking about painting engine bay with POR-15...