Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Arizen seat height

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Arizen seat height

i just installed my drivers side Arizen seat. leather, lumbar, with the supplied brackets for 82-02 f-body. fit well enough, but it put my *** at least 2 inches higher then the stock seating position. im 6'1, fairly tall but not freakishly tall. as is, my head almost touches the t-top, and i cant wear my helmet at all. yeah, i can take the top off, but what about autoxing in the cold? during the last 3 events i went to this year, the temp. never rose above 40. its bad enough with just the window down, let alone a top off.

has anyone else noticed this? what did you do to fix it? did the padding wear down enough, or did you modifiy the bracket?

if i had a welder and some flat stock, id do it myself....but since i dont......i was thinking of having the rear part of the brackets cut, dropped, and re-welded. has anyone done this or something different?

i specifically bought the seat both for looks and mainly support while autoxing. i have a harness bar being made and 5pt. soon after. i really dont want to be limited to having the tops off every time i race.....
Old 04-05-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny you posted this.

I have the Corbeau CR1 that I just put in and I have to change the exact same thing. I am also 6'1" and my head now touchs the T roof

I plan on cutting up the mount tomorrow and re welding it in a more usable height.

I guess it is meant for the 5'7" crowd.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 04-05-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea wierd stuff, the aftermarket seats sit HIGH. Kinda sucks, guess thats the price we pay
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Man, I was just about to be sold on buying new seats, either Arizen or Corbeau. I am
6'2". This sucks. Any seats that don't ride higher? Or are the stock seats lower because the crappy cushioning in the seat has compressed with time?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

i dont think the cushioning was bad. but they sit lower because they happen to have like a divit, or a lower area right where the back of your *** sits. the stock height was fine for me, even with the helmet. i just touched the outside t-top handle, but not much.

i think its mostly the brackets, and partly the extra dense/thick cushioning the arizen has. im going to have the brackets modified, and see where that gets me.

as for other brands, i havent heard many bad things about big names like corbeau, sparco, etc. they have less padding, and the brackets might be lower. theyre made more for a specific purpose, ie: racing, while the arizens are made for both racing and daily driving/looks, so they have more padding.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

6 hours later my drivers seat now sits 2"s lower.

I now have 2 1/2" clearance above my head

It took a fair bit of fooling around, but the bottom of the seat now sits about 3/4" above the floor cross members. The passengers side will not likely go more than 3/4" lower due the the hump in the floor.

I did not have my camera at my buddies shop so I have no pictures and nor do I ever want to take the damned thing out again.

So it can be done.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
6 hours later my drivers seat now sits 2"s lower.

I now have 2 1/2" clearance above my head

It took a fair bit of fooling around, but the bottom of the seat now sits about 3/4" above the floor cross members. The passengers side will not likely go more than 3/4" lower due the the hump in the floor.

I did not have my camera at my buddies shop so I have no pictures and nor do I ever want to take the damned thing out again.

So it can be done.
Could you maybe explain what you did? I am on the verge of ordering these seats and I very much need to know. I'm 6'2" and want to be able to fit in my car!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Could you maybe explain what you did? I am on the verge of ordering these seats and I very much need to know. I'm 6'2" and want to be able to fit in my car!
If you get the Corbeaus and their mounts and single locking sliders, I can.

What I did for the drivers seat:

1/ remove the raised rear mounts with a grinder and smooth out the welds.
2/ then take the console side slider and invert it so the large cross section attachess to the bottom of the seat, this is the opposite of the locking slider.
3/ I then drilled 4 new holes shifted approximately 3/4" towards the console. This will move the seat towards the center of the car and will allow the rear console factory stud to clear the slider.
4/I then welded a flat section of the rasied tab that I ground off to give me mount for the rear console side stud. This is welded to to the flat bar that runs from front to back on the console side.
5/ Grind 3/16" off the top of the of the above stud and clean up the threads
6/ drill a new mounting hole in the flat bar above the stud on the drivers side.

Now how to install this contraption.

1/ Bolt the modified seat mount to the car and tighen all 4 bolts.
2/ Slide the seat track as far rearward as possible
3/ bolt the slider to the mount, this is a major pain and very difficult to get a wrench on, but it is possible.
4/ Slide the seat all the way forward and tilt the back forward and do the same to the rear 2 bolts.

The good thing with moving the seat inboard it allowed the seat to clear my swing out door bar of my 6 point roll bar. It was a bitch, with now knowing what to do I could likely do it 2-3 hours. I had to do a lot install and removal to check fit, interference and then modify.

Like I said I wished I had my camera with me.

Hopefully this helps someone, I hate typing.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

The seats in my car sits about right, but i know the drivers seat have a modified bracket, but i have not done this by my self.. The previous owner did it.
I need to do it on the passenger side though!