Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Corrosion on tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion on tips?

Im currently detailing my car finally (havent for 6 months) and Ive been noticing for awhile my Mecham tips look like they are corroding. Ive tried steel wool before and that didnt work. When I scrub with the sponge some of the chrome? comes off a little.

I cant remember what product it was, but wasnt there a polish for stuff like this? Would it work? Any suggestions would help, thanks. I might try to get a pic later
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mothers has a metal polish that is like steel wool that I use on my exhaust tips.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the corrosion is advanced..little is to be done...went through 2 sets of chrome tips until I bought STAINLESS.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

I went to autobarn and theres Mothers Chrome polish, and Mothers billet metal polish? I didnt know which would work so I didnt buy it, and came back here lol
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

CLR= Calicium, Lime and Rust.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
If the corrosion is advanced..little is to be done...went through 2 sets of chrome tips until I bought STAINLESS.
Yea, this is about the only way to go is stainless... The mothers will brighten it up a little maybe and you should always try and keep wax on your tips if they're chrome, but there's not much to do to offset or restore what's already corroded..
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thanks to CLR i got a free set of those Ractive tips or whatever they are called... the oval ones lol... he took them off his gto and all that was wrong with them was they had tar on them... and he told me he soaked them in CLR for two days to try to clean them and that i could just have them... after some SOS pad cleaning and a good hot rims mag and aluminum polish they are good as new, as well as my eagle alloy 077's
just did a cleaning on my tips and wheels yesterday for a good 6 hours... all done by hand and i dont know how in the world my wheels cleaned up, but they did
if i can get a decent pic of them with my phone ill take some

but i would def. recommend that meguiars hot rims paste polish... it did a great job for me
i just put the polish on by hand and once i got most of the oxidation off by just rubbing forever i took my mothers ball to the wheels with some more polish...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

When I was looking for stuff for chrome/metal polish I didnt see anything by meguiars.. only Mothers Chrome polish and Mothers Mag and Aluminum.. so you're saying the mag and alum worked for you?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

that mothers mag/alum polish is gooooooooood stuff
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah def.... i took some pics of my car with my cell phone so you can see the wheels... they looked terrible before... i bought them and the kid that had them thought you used bleach white to clean polished aluminum... not a good idea at all lol... but i scrubbed and scrubbed on the wheels and they finally look nice...
the pics dont do it justice because my camera phone sucks... but they look like new

my tips arent clean in either of these pics because i hadnt started polishing them yet... but you get the point on the wheels

and this is the stuff i used on them... put it on with some old rags because it ruined them pretty quickly... and took the stuff off with another junk rag for the majority of it and then took a nice clean rag to wipe off the stuff that was left...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M3V8F6
and i got it at advance auto... so you can prob. find it there or any other major parts store
Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Im currently detailing my car finally (havent for 6 months) and Ive been noticing for awhile my Mecham tips look like they are corroding. Ive tried steel wool before and that didnt work. When I scrub with the sponge some of the chrome? comes off a little.

I cant remember what product it was, but wasnt there a polish for stuff like this? Would it work? Any suggestions would help, thanks. I might try to get a pic later
im having the same problem with my mecham tips. the chrome is slowly chipping off. i dont know what to do about it either.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i doubt the stuff i used would work for your problem then.... if the chrome is comin off, im not sure what you can really do about that... im guessing its chrome plated or something and its slowly chipping off, cuz ive heard of that problem with some of the ws6 wheels and stuff... so you may want to search for something like that to see if they figured anything out
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah if the chrome is flaking its time for new tips or get them rechromed.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Alright dont lynch me cause they look like this heh They were really like perfect not long ago.
Its getting dark and shitty cam.

So now you guys know what I am tryin to work with!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch.... lol
def. time for some new tips... or re-chromed if you like that special exact set and want to keep them forever or somethin lol
but def. dont see those cleaning up with anything... lol, **** wont buff out
Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I know! I dont know what happened, they were just as new like a year ago. I think it was all the damn snow that piled on it for weeks on end in NH this winter.

Wasnt there someone on here that rechromes? I forgot his username. Could maybe get a quote from him?

Last edited by Dimitri-; 05-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Corrosion on tips?