Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best wheel and tire cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 02:28 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best wheel and tire cleaner?

Im not necessarily looking for a cleaner that cleans both the wheel and the tire, just whatever is out there. I have chrome wheels and for some reason I get these dots or marks on my wheels as if something keeps slinging on them. I dont know if its from my tires or from the brakes, but its nasty and hard to take off. It seems like it take forever for me to clean my wheels and because of all the groving and bars. (factory chrome 10 spokes) I'd like something that I can spray on there and then spray it off with water. I know in the back of my head that without coming in contact with the wheels with a sponge or wash mitt, I feel that Im not cleaning it right. Ive tried a wheel cleaner by McGuires but I cant seem to remeber which one (I think theres 2) and it didnt seem to do the job. So from then on out, Ive been doing it by hand. Any solutions, cleaners, or tips/tricks to cleaning chrome wheels easily? Then, I use Black Majic tire gel and boy does it look goood, but when it comes time to cleaning the tires when I wash the car, its a pain. Ive been using some kind of spray from my father's work that seems to work ok, but not good enough. When I apply the gel heavy and I spray the cleaner, it just bubbles up and disappears. It doesnt stay on there and actually penetrate and remove the grime/dirt/gel. I dont want to get too carried away with this thread, but I think that you get the idea...so basically what Im looking for is a good tire cleaner and a good wheel cleaner. Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Best wheel and tire cleaner?

Westly's Bleche-White for the tires
then scrub like crazy on the rims with soap
Maybe Some Castrol Super Clean(very strong)
I'd follow up with some chrome polish and some people even put carnuba wax after that to lock in the freshness
My dad uses brillo on his chrome rims...doesn't do any damage but it still worries me
Old 08-10-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whatever you do if you have non clear-coated wheels, do NOT spray the westly's on them! i unfortunately did this and had a hell of a time polishing them to clean them of the marks. dont make the mistake i did!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my chrome rims i use dawn dish detergent when they are really dirty. Once clean i use sp: windex. Always clean chrome when it is cool. Cleaning them while hot will leave a puprle tint. Dont polish them either. Polishing will take the chrome off of the aluminum after awhile, you will start seeing swirl marks. For the tires i just use a scrube brush with the regular car wash. I dont like shiny tires.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use P21S on your rims, the only true spray on, spray off cleaner I have seen that will not damage chrome.

If there is anything left you can use a wet soapy towel to clean your rims. Treat chrome like paint, the less contact the better.

Quick Reply: Best wheel and tire cleaner?