Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

whats the best

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats the best

brand of polish for a porter cable/UDM?? is there much difference between companies like wolf gang swirl cutter and tropi-care swirl cutter or are they all about the same? thanks...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

no one at all???
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by xxSCRAPPYxx
brand of polish for a porter cable/UDM?? is there much difference between companies like wolf gang swirl cutter and tropi-care swirl cutter or are they all about the same? thanks...
It depends on the type of blemishes you are trying to remove.

Here is an example of hand induced spider webs or spider scratches from incorrect washing/drying materials and practices. These are usually deeper than swirl marks and may need to be buffed with an orange pad/moderate polishing compound or stronger combo like Menzerna SIP or IP using the PC/UDM at speed 5.0-5.5. In some instances, wet sanding may also be needed. Swirl mark removers and micro-abrasives such as TC-8 Swirl Cutter may have little to no effect in removing these.
Spider scratches:

Swirl marks/holograms:
Here are some machine induced holograms that were inflicted by a high speed rotary polisher. These are typically finer, closer together and more shallow than the spider webbing pictured above. It may be more difficult to see and detect these in other than natural lighting.

To remove these, it is best to start with the least aggressive combinations and move up to get the desired results. One can start with Swirl Cutter/white or orange pad and progress from there. This will remove many of the ultra-fine lines quickly. If you don't get the desired effect, the remaining lines may be too deep for the Swirl Cutter's capability. I have had excellent results on F-body clear coat with the SIP and orange pad to remove the remaining scratches that are 2000 grit and finer.

Once you are satisfied with the surface condition, a pass with the white pad/Swirl Cutter at speed 4.5 will refine and smooth the surface as well as remove any faint micro-marring before any non-abrasive liquid wax or sealant application.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

I have those spider scratches ALL OVER my car it looks horrible

I have a PC but can u tell me exactly how slow i'm supposed to be moving it across the car? oh and how the heck do u not make it splatter the product all over the car?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WS6_00
I have those spider scratches ALL OVER my car it looks horrible

I have a PC but can u tell me exactly how slow i'm supposed to be moving it across the car? oh and how the heck do u not make it splatter the product all over the car?
Here's a short video of using Menzerna SIP on the surface the car. For more severe scratches, you'll move slower to help the compound gently level the surface to remove the scratches.

To remove the more stubborn scratches from the surface, you can apply the product either on the surface or on the pad. Work in an area of no larger than 2' x 2'. If you're a new or novice PC user, concentrate on a 1' x 1' area to learn the capability of the machine and products before proceeding with the rest of the vehicle.

Applied directly on the lightly moistened PC buffing pad: Lightly smear the product in the work area and start the machine at speed 3 and gradually work up to speed 5.0-5.5. You'll be moving at the rate of 1"/second with medium pressure. After the product breaks down on the surface, gradually reduce the machine pressure. The residue will become almost clear. After 2-3minutes buffing time, stop, wipe down and inspect the surface for results. Once satisfied then you can move onto the adjacent panel.

If you applying product directly on the surface, smear it with your buffing pad before starting the machine. This will eliminate any splatter of product residue. The Lake Country CCS foam buffing pads are also designed with product pockets to eliminate splatter as well.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 05-30-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: whats the best